• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Finding the Treasure on Maps

Lady Sparkles

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Good Morning Everyone.

Yesterday we went to do treasure maps and for some reason, we were in the right location and right facet, but could not find them. We tried several maps, and could NOT dig them up. Anyone else having this issue?

Herp!

Journeyman
I haven't encountered this and have done a few 6 & 7 maps since pub 96. I assume you used a Davie's Locker or high mining to find the spots and weren't just missing them by chance though... so I will go try this right now after I finish making a new weapon and get right back to you in about 15 minutes, I don't have a locker but my tmapper has 100 mining for ease of finding the tile.

Herp!

Journeyman
Verified working. I just made myself upset because I deleted the screen shot I took by screen shotting my MSPaint window and I really don't feel like doing another. But I just went to fel side near crossroads W of Britain, dug one up, fought the spawn, looted, and left. Could be a shard or character specific bug though... UO has it's fair share of those from time to time.

Last edited:

Tectop

Journeyman
Do any of yall use mapping programs like UO Auto map or just sexants

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you're using Davies Locker to get the coordinates, note the following.

As the coordinates are missing the minutes of latitude and longitude. each step is roughly 4-5 minutes.
(trivia- if you graph Sosaria in 3D it turns out to be doughnut-shaped fragment/shard, indeed).

If using only the Classic Client, get a sextant.
If using the CC with UOAssist, use the command -where
If using the EC, there's settings that allow you to see your exact location's coordinates.

First step.
Find the point closest to the zero point that the Davies Locker gives, and drop something to indicate it. This will be one corner of a square for a search.

• If the coordinates are N Latitude, E Longitude, this marker will be the Bottom Left corner of the square.
  • If the coordinates are N Latitude, W Longitude, this marker will be the Bottom Right corner of the square.
  • If the coordinates are S Latitude, E Longitude, this marker will be the Top Left corner of the square.
  • If the coordinates are S Latitude, W Longitude, this marker will be the Top Right corner of the square.
Second step.
Find the other 3 corners of the 1 degree by 1 degree square, and mark them as well. This will create a square that is at worst a 16x16 box.

Third step.
Depending on your amount of Mining skill, you will have to be more accurate in your searching. So, start at one corner, and walk 1-3 steps (depending on your mining skill, the less Mining, the fewer steps), then attempt to dig the map in all 4 directions (in case you missed and were actually standing on it to start). If you don't find it, make another incremental move, and try all 4 directions again.
When you hit the far wall of the square, move slightly across the square (depending on which corner you started with, and which direction), and go back tracing the next row across, making digging attempts.
This is called "Mowing the Lawn". It's used by real world treasure hunters on land with metal detectors, and at sea using sonar and magnetic anomaly detectors. You, though, have a lot better of an idea where to start looking than they do. Provided you didn't misread N/S or E/W or the facet, you will find the chest within 10 minutes under most circumstances - maybe 15-20 if you are doing this with 0 mining, and having to dig EVERY ONE of the 225 or so spots in the square.

The big worry, really, is going by the map, not the coordinates. Some people's clients (like mine) are demonstrably BADLY ORIENTED (see the pic below of one of my digs). I've had maps show the entire pin on one side of a river, then the chest is on the other. Use the map to get to the area, but the actual coordinates to attempt to dig.

upload_2017-2-12_16-16-14.jpeg

SugarMMM

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awesome post Basara!

I love the "-where" command for UOAssist! I never knew that!

Herp!

Journeyman
Do any of yall use mapping programs like UO Auto map or just sexants

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
I use 100 mining and EC with the map tilt turned on so it matches up with the tmaps. Option to allow this is under user settings, options, enable map area/facet combo. Run to general area, spam a pickaxe stored target macro that hits pick, tmap, then allows me to target the ground... wander around until I find the spot :D normally takes like 1-2 min to find a spot with 100 mining due to the added tile range.

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Practice practice practice best place to start by far is malas as you can compare map to surrounding crystals, after doing thousands of maps i am now disappointed when i dont get chest first swing, although 1 out of 20 are a true PIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the classic client, all the "match up" advice in the world doesn't help if you ever shifted the location of the game window (and who knows how the new screen sizes will factor in).

As I noted in my picture above, what lines up for other people doesn't always line up for me. And, the reasons given for it a decade ago by the devs is that at one time I accidentally moved the game window (and it also is the reason why some people have difficulty placing houses that others do not). You can see in the screencap I posted I originally dug at a couple places that were supposed to be the "right" spot, according to most guides. Then, after much frustration, found it on the other side of that river, away from the bottom of the pin.

Also, remember that there are two ways to initiate a map dig.
The original method (targeting the map with the shovel, then the ground) works best for setting up macros in EC and CC.
The newer method (which goes back before AoS, so is hardly "new") allows you to not touch the shovel at all, but click on the map, choose to dig for the treasure, and target the ground. All you have to do is have the tool on you. It takes less actions than doing the other manually, but more than using a macro of the other method.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, sorry but for me is late in the nite and i go to sleep. Tomorrow i'll read all that you have written and i hope that i'll find the way to find treasures. I'va read all that you have written but i don't well understand english then tomorrow morning i'll use a translator. And finally i will use my char. I use the CC client and UoAutomap.Some times ago i liked very much to go to treasure :)
For now thanks to all :)