• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Final thoughts on SA open Beta

• Thread starter Frey Wavestrider
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
F

Frey Wavestrider

First off there is alot of good I see in the SA expansion however, I noticed some definite problems in some areas. I personally like the client overall but you need to stop the client from stealing memory. It keeps taking more memory rather than capping and releasing memory not in use. This means the longer I played the worse the client ran. To the point I would crash.

Next, gargoyles, I was very excited to see them but now I am not sure they are worth it. They are mystics and mysticism is already nerf'd to the point it is at best a secondary skill. With 120 eval int, mysticism, imbuing and med you can barely put anything above a mongbat asleep and nether bolt does 10 damage?? I saw mysticism with the sleep spells as being a good thing for tamers, as of now it is not. The healing wind is wonderful but horribly weak spell, with higher mysticism and eval is should do more. Generally it would appear that this secondary skill choice and only a very weak choice.

Gargoyles are the only race to have throwing and it almost useless, I tried to use it for 4 days and with EOO, DF, CW I managed to get 3 throws doing more than 70 damage and that was with 120 DI and 45 HCI. At 120 I missed every second throw. If accuracy is part of the racial ability gargoyles all need glasses as a race. Something needs to be done or throwing will be dead before it starts.

Flying is great but the amount of stamina regen needed is nuts. It should be along the lines of a person on a horse, you can go from one end of Sossaria to another without having to stop unless you are overweight or even seeing the stamina bar more than 1/3 down. I was walking after about 5 minutes when flying from britain to despise. Then add the fact that with 100 strength a gargoyle carries the same as an elf. Gargoyles are supposed to be big and powerful. They should at least carry as much as a human.

Finally, imbuing, most talked about skill after throwning I think, it seems to work. Relic fragments will tend to limit the high end things but at the current setup it is a skill that can be used to benefit every level of player and that is good. My wife and I enjoy kitting out newbies and it is hard to find them or even make them good armour at a cost we can afford. Imbuing will allow us to take non lrc armour with good resist and add LRC, make good studded lrc armour mage armour and improve resists. Benefiting the new players we are trying to help.

Still I will get the expansion, my wife is not as sure. I want it for the taming slots and new pets and I think we have some very interesting pet combos possible with the new pets now.

Sorry for the length but just some thoughts, you may agree or disagree and I did send in a feedback report with the same information, just trying to see what others thought.

Silverbird

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Throwing is a very hard to master ability. The more I read about, the more confused I am. From what i ve heard, you might want to have swordsmanship and parry along with throwing. (Swords comes into play, when someone reaches melee range ... maybe UBWS could do ... I havent tested throwing and parry is needed when you have a shield equipped together with a throwing weapon.)

Flying requires 80 focus/sr 8 to even out the stamina loss. As an advantages it doesnt requires any followers and theres no mount that can die. (Not every acc is old enough to ride an etheral or spends the money/gold to get a charger.)

B

Beer_Cayse

I tried Rising Collossus (or whatever) on Retribution with 120 in imbuing, eval and mysticism. The Deamons in the Hedge Maze tore it up easily. It's a fun one for a bit but not very good against anything reasonably strong/difficult.

I'd like to see it upped a bit - not much - with some added staying power as well. I swear a summoned Demon is around longer than RC.

R

Remakerr

so what you want is gargoyles to be the clear cut best race for carrying stuff, etc etc etc and then not even have to worry about a mount.

I dont think that would work out too well. i forsee most dexxers becoming gargs because getting stam back is ezmode and you get an advantage for dismounting.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
gargoyles for me = crafter they get bonus to imbuing they get bonus to enhance for me that was enough they fly at horse speed! so your bug (fire/or blue) costs 3 and now you can also cats ev or whatever...

M

Myna

yea, gargoyles are crafters for imbuing thats all .... ( i even prefer a crafter sitting on my blue beetle instead of walking in front of him, but hey i canot have all).

for combat i see only disadvantages compared to human/elf .... sorry DEV, but in making a rece that can compete with the other 2 you really failed, but i dont care, becasue i am not forced to play a gargoyle

M

Maija

Yeah, don't count on doing elf quests or anything to train up as a newbie crafting gargoyle. You won't be able to just mount your beetle to recall along with him before the bonding week is up.