• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics Contest - This Is Your Story

• Thread starter Banhammer
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Banhammer

The world of Vana'diel has inspired heroes and villians alike, played host to countless legends, tales, and wars. It is a world of countless stories, each told again and again, the tales passing into myth.

Are you ready to forge your own myth?

FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics is proud to present "This Is Your Story", a contest where those who have so often been the subject of the stories of Vana'diel are given the chance to become the author. Have you ever wondered why Koru-Moru had run up such a large tab with the Boneworker's Guild of Windurst? What terrible tragedy condemned Gusgen Mines to be forever haunted by the spirits of the dead? What terrible crimes, long forgotten by the march of history, might still bind someone to the Bostaunieux Oubliette?

Now your story can be told. FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics is prepared to provide some impressive prizes to the finest of tale-tellers, ranging from a copy of the new Star Onions album to your very own statue of the imposing and tragic Shadow Lord.

For more information, including the official rules and how to enter, just click here. The contest ends July 3rd, so make sure you get your entries to us before then!

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The world of Vana'diel has inspired heroes and villians alike, played host to countless legends, tales, and wars. It is a world of countless stories, each told again and again, the tales passing into myth.

Are you ready to forge your own myth?

FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics is proud to present "This Is Your Story", a contest where those who have so often been the subject of the stories of Vana'diel are given the chance to become the author. Have you ever wondered why Koru-Moru had run up such a large tab with the Boneworker's Guild of Windurst? What terrible tragedy condemned Gusgen Mines to be forever haunted by the spirits of the dead? What terrible crimes, long forgotten by the march of history, might still bind someone to the Bostaunieux Oubliette?

Now your story can be told. FINAL FANTASY XI Stratics is prepared to provide some impressive prizes to the finest of tale-tellers, ranging from a copy of the new Star Onions album to your very own statue of the imposing and tragic Shadow Lord.

For more information, including the official rules and how to enter, just click here. The contest ends July 3rd, so make sure you get your entries to us before then!
So stories in regards to present non-player characters or what precisely? How long does the story have to be? e.g. How many words/pages?

B

Banhammer

So stories in regards to present non-player characters or what precisely?
The page I linked might be worth reading:

"To enter, all you need to do is write up a quest (either single or a series) that can tell your story. Maybe Luuh Koplehn finally hired an adventurer to collect the money owed. Perhaps Bastok wishes to use the Gusgen Mines for something new. Or a letter may have surfaced revealing that the unused Oubliette is anything but. This is your story, after all. You decide who sets the tasks. You decide what challenges the adventurers face. And you decide what spoils they may claim when they prove themselves triumphant."

How long does the story have to be? e.g. How many words/pages?
Basically, as long as you feel is necessary. We're not too worried about the technical aspects of the submissions so much as the content of the story they tell.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The page I linked might be worth reading:

"To enter, all you need to do is write up a quest (either single or a series) that can tell your story. Maybe Luuh Koplehn finally hired an adventurer to collect the money owed. Perhaps Bastok wishes to use the Gusgen Mines for something new. Or a letter may have surfaced revealing that the unused Oubliette is anything but. This is your story, after all. You decide who sets the tasks. You decide what challenges the adventurers face. And you decide what spoils they may claim when they prove themselves triumphant."

Basically, as long as you feel is necessary. We're not too worried about the technical aspects of the submissions so much as the content of the story they tell.
Yeah I had read it but it had not been outlined in the link. Thank you for the information and clarification. :D

T

twinsevens

As far as the actual format of the story goes, are you looking for standard short story format? Or can we explore other mediums, say, a screenplay?

B

Banhammer

As far as the actual format of the story goes, are you looking for standard short story format? Or can we explore other mediums, say, a screenplay?
You're designing a quest, remember. It needs to be recognizable as such.

O

Orelius

Hello~Wello everyone! ^(^_^)>

I look forward to this, will you be posting the stories afterwards so we can read them all?

O

Onewing

There's only a few days left! We've received quite a bit of entries, but there's still a bit more time to submit and enter for a chance to win. Speaking of winners, we will be announcing them on Monday, giving us the weekend to make our final decisions.

Best of luck to you all!

P

Phurios

Yo,

In my haste I forgot to put my chacracter name in the email yesterday. So I resubmitted it today with my name and server in case the first had been discarded. Is that ok?

I think my quest is pretty good so I wanted to be sure everyone got to read it.

Many Thanks to Stratics for doing this, it was a lot of fun.

-Phurios

H

Hathen

I probably should have asked this earlier, but should I submit my entry tomorrow, or can I be allowed to read it over a few more times and submit it Friday night?

I don't want to have worked on it and then find out I missed the deadline, heh.

B

Banhammer

I probably should have asked this earlier, but should I submit my entry tomorrow, or can I be allowed to read it over a few more times and submit it Friday night?

I don't want to have worked on it and then find out I missed the deadline, heh.
Friday is the last day they'll be accepted, so give it the extra once-over if you really need.

H

Heybunny

Hello, I would just like to ask a few questions.

Firstly, my boyfriend is planning on entering the competition. We know the deadline is today, but could we get a specific hour if at all possible? :)

Also, his story is about a heavily edited version of an existing quest with the focus on elements not found in game, would this be eligible?

Lastly I have read the text about eligibility, but can I just confirm that people in the UK have a chance of winning this?

Thanks very much for your time. :)

B

Banhammer

Hello, I would just like to ask a few questions.

Firstly, my boyfriend is planning on entering the competition. We know the deadline is today, but could we get a specific hour if at all possible? :)

Also, his story is about a heavily edited version of an existing quest with the focus on elements not found in game, would this be eligible?

Lastly I have read the text about eligibility, but can I just confirm that people in the UK have a chance of winning this?

Thanks very much for your time. :)
1.) I'm going to be closing at midnight US Eastern, which would be 4 AM GMT on Saturday. (Daylight Savings Time and all.)

2.) Is it a quest design or a bit of fiction that happens to resemble a quest? I know the name of the contest may make it seem otherwise, but we are trying to get the former here.

3.) You're free to submit an entry -- if you seem to have won, then we'll verify eligibility requirements based off whichever prize it was.

H

Heybunny

1.) I'm going to be closing at midnight US Eastern, which would be 4 AM GMT on Saturday. (Daylight Savings Time and all.)

2.) Is it a quest design or a bit of fiction that happens to resemble a quest? I know the name of the contest may make it seem otherwise, but we are trying to get the former here.

3.) You're free to submit an entry -- if you seem to have won, then we'll verify eligibility requirements based off whichever prize it was.
1 & 3) Thank you for clarifying these for me.

2) Well I suppose it is classed more towards the latter; It doesn't have headings such as locations and NPC's involved. The whole story is of part of a quest, but it is technically a piece of fiction and is written as a short story. It is however, still an adventure, which is the heart of this game.

Can he still submit this? He's been working on it for a while now. :)

Thanks again. ^^

B

Banhammer

2) Well I suppose it is classed more towards the latter; It doesn't have headings such as locations and NPC's involved. The whole story is of part of a quest, but it is technically a piece of fiction and is written as a short story. It is however, still an adventure, which is the heart of this game.

Can he still submit this? He's been working on it for a while now. :)
The rules state that the submissions need to be in the form of quest designs, so you'll probably need to rework it. Still about four hours before the window closes, so hopefully you can fix it in time.

In retrospect, we possibly could have chosen a better title for the contest, but somehow this didn't occur to anyone involved until we started getting submissions from people who didn't see the "quest design" part of the rules. Go figure, huh?

B

Banhammer

Submissions to the contest are now CLOSED.

Thank you to everyone who entered (especially those of you who read the rules). We'll be announcing the winners on Monday.

O

Orelius

Submissions to the contest are now CLOSED.

Thank you to everyone who entered (especially those of you who read the rules). We'll be announcing the winners sometime next week, most likely.
**gulp**

Someone lied to me!

Just kidding!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!

B

Banhammer

**gulp**

Someone lied to me!

Just kidding!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!!!
Yeah, just got told we already spoiled the "we're announcing on Monday" date. Was hoping to surprise everyone, but oh well.

P

Pheonic

I have one bit of criticism that I hope won't be taken as whining or QQing.

I entered this contest after reading both the contest announcement and official rules. When I submitted my entry I honestly thought I was giving you what the contest was asking for. It wasn't until I visited the forum's contest discussion after the contest closed that my entry wasn't what had been asked for.

In my opinion it not only the contest title, but the rules and announcement that are misleading as well- or at least don't go far enough in explaining what was being asked for.

Quoted from the contest announcement:

"What should the submissions consist of?

We're not too concerned about the exact layout so much as whether or not they tell a good story. Don't worry about determing the exact location of whatever ??? the player has to use to spawn the Notorious Monster, or the exact stats of whatever reward you've imagined. Instead, try to make sure that the NM has a good reason to fight the player, and that the reward has a good reason to be the reward."

"HOW TO ENTER
Entries must be submitted via email to [email protected], in the form of a design document for a Final Fantasy XI quest or quest line. Documents may include text and images at the discretion of the entrant. Documents will be accepted in any standard format, including but not limited to DOC, PDF, and RTF, so long as the content is readable by the judges. Entrants grant StraticsCom Inc. the non-exclusive and irrevocable right to display, create derivative works of, or otherwise utilize their entry in any media property of StraticsCom Inc., including but not limited to websites. All entries must be received by July 3, 2009."

One first reading, this doesn't really shout "Design-a-Quest" contest or that the submissions should be in a quest write up format like what we might see in the fan-created wikis.

"Design document" just isn't enough to really say what exactly was looked for as a proposal for a quest/story can often run the gamut from an outline to a full manuscript with back story.

Now, I'm sure my entry was disqualified and that's fine. If I'd read the forum discussion earlier or asked for clarification myself I would've realized that the contest was asking for something very specific.

If you ever have a similar contest- an example entry of what exactly you're looking for might be a good idea next time.

Thanks for having the contest and best of luck to the entries that were accepted!

N

Nihasa11589

I entered this contest after reading both the contest announcement and official rules. When I submitted my entry I honestly thought I was giving you what the contest was asking for. It wasn't until I visited the forum's contest discussion after the contest closed that my entry wasn't what had been asked for.

In my opinion it not only the contest title, but the rules and announcement that are misleading as well- or at least don't go far enough in explaining what was being asked for.

Quoted from the contest announcement:

"What should the submissions consist of?

We're not too concerned about the exact layout so much as whether or not they tell a good story. Don't worry about determing the exact location of whatever ??? the player has to use to spawn the Notorious Monster, or the exact stats of whatever reward you've imagined. Instead, try to make sure that the NM has a good reason to fight the player, and that the reward has a good reason to be the reward."

"HOW TO ENTER
Entries must be submitted via email to [email protected], in the form of a design document for a Final Fantasy XI quest or quest line. Documents may include text and images at the discretion of the entrant. Documents will be accepted in any standard format, including but not limited to DOC, PDF, and RTF, so long as the content is readable by the judges. Entrants grant StraticsCom Inc. the non-exclusive and irrevocable right to display, create derivative works of, or otherwise utilize their entry in any media property of StraticsCom Inc., including but not limited to websites. All entries must be received by July 3, 2009."

One first reading, this doesn't really shout "Design-a-Quest" contest or that the submissions should be in a quest write up format like what we might see in the fan-created wikis.

"Design document" just isn't enough to really say what exactly was looked for as a proposal for a quest/story can often run the gamut from an outline to a full manuscript with back story.

Now, I'm sure my entry was disqualified and that's fine. If I'd read the forum discussion earlier or asked for clarification myself I would've realized that the contest was asking for something very specific.

If you ever have a similar contest- an example entry of what exactly you're looking for might be a good idea next time.

Thanks for having the contest and best of luck to the entries that were accepted!
I'm in the same boat.. I read the rules when the contest first came out and I put a lot of thought into my story/quest. But I am most likely sure that my story has been disqualified. I guess i could have asked for myself what i should have been writing but i didn't. But all well i still had fun writing my story ^^ gl to everyone else that still has a shot and maybe i'm wrong maybe my story didn't get disaqualified... Good Luck everyone ^^

B

Banhammer

Yeah, I mentioned as much above. Funny thing is, I did work out a sample of what we were looking for, but got told that it could take away from the entrants' creativity.

Next time I trust my instincts.

O

Onewing

For those who haven't noticed, we announced the winners on our front page a few days ago...

P

Phurios

We're really looking forward to reading all the entries. When and where should we expect to see them?

-Phurios

B

Banhammer

We're really looking forward to reading all the entries. When and where should we expect to see them?

-Phurios
We've got a couple unexpected back-end issues that need to be cleared up, but they should be taken care of within a couple days. Once that's done, we can get them posted.

O

Onewing

Since the contest is over now, we're more than open for people posting their stories here and discussing them, even if they were disqualified. Our page on the ffxi.stratics.com will only list the ones that qualified though.

I had hundreds of pages to read through, but it was quite delightful! Everyone should be proud of their efforts. Oh, and a special shout out to the winners. ;)

J

jamison

If you had misunderstood the contest and wrote a story instead of a quest. (like I did) I started a forum where you can post your story and we can read those as well as the ones posted on stratics today.

http://forums.ffxiclopedia.org/viewtopic.php?f=77&t=21585

-Phurios
And as always, you're welcome to post the same here and discuss as always.

Please note as well that if you're ever confused by rules or anything else for that matter, we're here to help. You're always welcome to post your rules, email us or PM us.

Thank you to all that entered!