• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Gardening] Fifth Solen Hive Seeds Poll

Which change would you like to see in Naturalist Quest?

• Black/White New Plants only, Fire Legacy plus Four Barrel only

Votes: 24 46.2%
  • Black/White Legacy & New Plants, Fire Legacy plus Four Barrel only

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • How about the works? Black/White/Fire available for Legacy and New Plants

Votes: 24 46.2%

• Total voters
D

DHMagicMan_1

As Sakkarah has stated, she's not completely against the concept of continuing to allow the "Legacy Plants" seeds to drop in White and Black as well as Fire but that she feels it would make them less rare and we should discuss among ourselves.

I thought maybe a Poll would be in order...

Option 1: Sak's original description... White and Black for "New Plants Only" (not including Cocoa), Fire for Legacy Plants plus Four Barrel Cactus only...

Option 2: Fix what's missing but not what's not broke... Let White (and Black) continue to drop in both Legacy and New Plants, Fire for Legacy Plants plus Four Barrel Cactus only...

Option 3: How about the works?... Let White, Black and Fire all drop in both Legacy and New plants... (inluding or excluding Cocoa) I'd like it included if we go with this one but not sure why it was excluded originally from option 1...

D

DHMagicMan_1

After posting what I can think of as the "Available Options", I've voted for #3.

I know we can get "Legacy Mutants" through cross-polination but it takes literally hundreds of crossings to get a mutant and then you get a 50/50 on the one you wanted... You get 8 of the same one but it still took you on the order of at least a week, (assuming you garden 100 or 200 plants at a time) hundreds of bowls, several barrels of potions, etc...

I like the idea of doing the 5th Hive for a "Surprise" and and I figure with 34 (or 35 or 36 with flax and/or cocoa... I lost count) plants and 3 possible colors (chance is less than 1% for any specific plant color that you might "hope for"), we can do a bunch of runs a day to get a serious mix of lots of "Mutants" of all kinds instead of 8 of a single "Legacy" plant.

Also, with the addition of the new resource, we'll be able to identify the seeds and either plant or store (hopefully bulk storage eventually) at our leasure so all and all this feels like a really fun addition to the game and a great reason for me to do the 5th hive runs again.

*** By the way, I don't know if I can add options to the poll after it's created, but if anyone wants to offer an option I haven't thought of, please post a comment in this thread and I'll try to edit the poll, if I can to accommodate. ***

F

Flora Green

I prefer #1, but with cocoa added. I do not understand why it was omitted in the first place. Before the current bug, I ran the 5th hive 35 times. I ended up with 5 white seeds and none duplicates. It's difficult enough as it is to get multiples (and in my case white) of the same plant, adding legacy would make it worse IMO.

That said, maybe crossing should be looked at. I received an order for 20 white elephant ears in early Sept. After crossing until I never want to see another EE, I didn't get ONE mutant. Finally gave up because he wanted them for Christmas deco. I can't be THAT unlucky, can I?

Anyways, I haven't voted yet, but I will. Still leaning towards #1 if Sak will consider adding white and black cocoa trees to the mix.

D

DHMagicMan_1

That's true, Flora, maybe if they do take Legacy white and black out of Naturalist, Sak could revisit the percentage chance of getting a mutant and give that a little tweak in our favor.

It's just SO FRUSTRATING trying to cross to get mutants, I hardly ever bother any more.

S

Sharantyr

Gone for number 1 myself.

Think its better to have the old (legacy) plants in white and black as a bonus to cross pollination.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I voted for option 3. I think it gives gardeners more control for filling plant orders. When push comes to shove though, it doesn't really matter to me. I am not a fan of black or white plants and never tried hard for mutants.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Think you was to fast to make the poll as the debat could bring up other options.
My vote is:

5th nest: Black/White Legacy & New Plants

4th nest: Pink, Magenta, Aqua and Fire only Legacy plants

G

Gwendolynne

Think you was to fast to make the poll as the debat could bring up other options.
My vote is:

I like this option the most. Too bad the poll does not have an option for "other" and an area to fill in the blank.

Safe journeys!

B

Beastmaster

I just want it to work as the current design notes say, which is not an option on your poll.

F

Flora Green

I ended up voting for #3. My reasoning behind this is based upon a couple of different things. While the legacy plants in black/white will cut back a little on receiving the new plants, IMO it's too difficult, expensive and time consuming trying to get black/white legacy from crossing currently. Especially in large quantities. Option 3 would give a small boost to receiving a legacy mutant and with seed identification, we have the option of tossing those not needed. No loss in time other than the run through or gold on potions, bowls, etc.

My other reason for altering my original poll choice is, IF the legacy plants were added in fire red, perhaps Sakkarah (and others opposed to the new plants being colored) would see that there are people who do know how to decorate tastefully with color. Yes, there will always be some ugly house deco we stumble upon from time to time, but that happens without bright colors. As evidenced by the number of house decorating contests through the years, colored plants can add a lot to the overall look, feel and tone of a design. I personally don't use many of the colored plants except as an accent, but I think the choice should be there as it is for legacy plants and perhaps sometime in the future it will be.

Regardless of the outcome of the poll and Sak's decision, I'll be content having the new plants in black/white.

/end long post :)

B

Beastmaster

Must not have been reading carefully or just had a brain fart. Yes option 1 looks like the stated behavior we are supposed to be seeing, but aren't.

S

soulstoner

Got my "I Voted" sticker .... Thanks for setting this up DHMM :hug:

T

To Arvo

Personally Id like to see Black/White Peculiar & Fragrant and Everything available as Fire

F

Flora Green

I hope whatever Sakkarah decides that she will allow the cocoa trees in white and black.

L

Lady_Dark

I vote for option 3. I spent 2 years crossing 4 floors of plants and only finally got one white mutation a couple of months ago, and still haven't gotten a black mutation. Those odds really are bad. So I am all for the 5th solon hive giving us all the plants in black and white, and whatever other colors there are.

Lady Dark

F

Flora Green

I know I already said I voted for #3 and why, but I did some more crossing the other day in hopes of getting some white plants for deco, nothing came of it. I have only gotten one mutant plant since summer. Also, I don't recall if this has been mentioned anywhere, but when running the 5th nest recently I received around 15 fire seeds. ALL are the flowering cactus. So that's another bug I guess.

S

Sharantyr

Get your pain killers ready before reading this, might give you a headache.

Taking Floras example of an order. 20 white elephant ear plants needed in 90 days.

Lets suppose cross pollination is working as it should, 1% chance at a mutant, 50% chance black, 50% chance white. And lets say the 100th cross pollination got you black mutants and the 200th got you the white.

Growing and crossing and we'll suppose you have 24 elephant ear seeds to start with.
the first time you plant - 24 seeds planted and grown to day 17 - 192 seeds gathered and 408 times you tended a plant.
the second time you plant - 192 seeds planted and grown to day 10 - 192 seeds gathered and 1728 times you tended a plant.
the third time you plant - 192 seeds planted and grown to day 10 - 192 seeds gathered and 1728 times you tended a plant.
the fourth time you plant - 192 seeds planted and grown to day 7 - 0 seeds and 1152 times you tended a plant.
You have your 3 plants with white seeds so add 24 times you tended a plant.
Total times you tended a plant = 5040 in 54 days.

Now let suppose option 3 of the poll is going to happen and we still need 20 white elephant ear plants. There's 17 legacy plants and 17 peculiar plants in 3 colours. And lets suppose you get 1 of each seed in each colour in order with the white elephant ear the last, seed 102. So, you're going to need 2040 green thorns.

Growing for the green thorns and again we'll suppose you have the seeds.
first day you plant
the first day you plant - 24 seeds planted and grown to day 17 - 192 seeds and 192 green thorns and 408 times you tended a plant.
the second day you plant - 192 seeds planted and grown to day 17 - 1536 thorns and you only need 39 seeds. 3264 times you tended a plant
the third day you plant - 39 seeds planted and grown to day 17 - 312 thorns and you tended a plant 663 times.
Now you need 11 peculiar poppies planted and grown to day 17 for poppies dust to identify just the white seeds so 187 times you tended a plant.

Total times you tended a plant = 4522

Now the solen quest. you have 90 days to get the order ready so you need your last seed 80 days from the after the order was placed.
You need run the solen quest 2040 times in 80 days so 26 times each day for 78 days and 1 day of 10 quests. For 79 days you need spend 2 and a half hours running the quest.

Numbers might not be exact but are near. And either example you could be luckier and get your seeds earlier or unluckier and get them later and you'd probably have your house and bank full of the other seeds you kept from the quest. Both ways are a big big pain.

Maybe we should all start thinking of other ways that mutant seeds could be got. Maybe a paragon monster drop. Maybe when you return to the naturalist he could give you the choice of which colour you want from the 3 (if option 3 was decided the way to go). I know in World of Raidcraft most quest give options for rewards so maybe it could be added here in UO.

L

Lord Drakelord

My vote is:

I like this option the most. Too bad the poll does not have an option for "other" and an area to fill in the blank.

Safe journeys!
I like this also

S

soulstoner

My vote is:

I also like this option ~the best .... I'd voted for the 2nd option (the minority) as it seemed closest to this verbiage... but with the Fire still 5th hole plus the cactus .... hehehe .....can't wait to see what it'll end up as.

PS LUVIN the poppies dust - used it 1st time over weekend.

Happy Monday / MLK Day (paid day off 4 me !) :lick:

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My vote is:

Well considering as one can read in another post of mine, I have been doing the Naturalist Quest about a 100 times, planted all whites in fertile dirt just to find out that the system doesn't work anymore as I remembered, as the first 2 bloomed (Campion & Waterplant) and I posted on these forums to check out what was going on.
Due to RL stuffies I wasn't in UO for about almost 3 months, and I totally missed the fact that the B&W seeds only give the legacy plants now.

Considering the fact that we already can get the legacy plants in B&W with crosspolly AND considering the fact that (for me atleast) doing this quest an X-factor times more just to get the B&W New Styles because the chances will be toned down by a factor 17 per RUN, it would feel like a pain in the behind.
Not forgetting that by adding the legacy plants to have to use that X-factor more Poppie Dust and having that X-factor much more unwanted seeds to store/toss away.

I mean I rather crosspolly 50 plants to get a legacy B&W seed then do an extra 50 runs for the Naturalist Quest.
By planting myself I can control WHICH seed to get and when I get a hit I get even 8 of them, 7 I can store as ONE lockdown.

By keeping the just the New Styles to the quest does give us the extra effort/chance factor but for me to a reasonable extent.

Though I am tempted to have the New Styles in the remaining colors in 4th nest, I mean I think a pink cypress would look cute, I can understand why people would not like to see all plants in these colors, it is a matter of taste. (Myself I don't mind if they make it or not to the all color range)
But IF the New Styles DO make it into the all color range I feel thay should be tossed in together with the legacies in the 4th nest.

So considering, the time, effort, lockdowns and what we already can grow ourselves, I think the quoted suggestion would be Perfect.