• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Favorite Job/Job Mixes

• Thread starter Bumbledogswirls
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
B

Bumbledogswirls

What's your favorite job? Or, job mix? Eg: My favorite job is Beastmaster, but I also love NIN/DNC or BST/DNC.

Conversations are all good right? ^^

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What's your favorite job? Or, job mix? Eg: My favorite job is Beastmaster, but I also love NIN/DNC or BST/DNC.

Conversations are all good right? ^^
Favorite job combinations eh?

Well as follows I suppose from everything I did when I used to play. Primary job followed by support job:

DNC/NIN
BLM/RDM
SAM/DNC
PLD/NIN
RDM/WHM
RDM/NIN
SAM/NIN
NIN/WAR
WAR/NIN
THF/NIN or WAR

Favorite jobs overall were Ninja, Blackmage and Thief...in that particular order...yeah and Warrior after thief.

T

tygenja

well, im so new, im downloading the free trial.
but seeing as this is a fairly new post, thought id say something...

i think my ideal job mix will have to be thief and bard, i suppose not many ppl would do that due to the job descriptions, but who knows?its sounds original enough to me. been reading the forukms to get an idea of the jobs on this ff,

ach... why am i gonna play this, i know ill only enjoy it... :(

btw, is the a starter location that has the same 'out of the way' feel as besaid in ffx did?

ps, the pictures are mine, like them?

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you asking if there is a starter location that has a long off out of the way feeling?

If you are I might suggest Windurst. With a country and valley type backdrop it will probably suit you. You will be the furthest away from the infamous Valkum Dunes in that you will have to catch a boat to get there. Bastok and Sandy do not have to worry about doing that since the Dunes are only a few zones away by foot.

Something more of importance I can't stress enough is you should think about what trade you would be interested in doing.

For me when I played, I liked being able to not have a long ways to travel since your primary way of travel in the beginning...is by foot. Bastok has the closest together zones in terms of city space and has the trades of Alchemy, Goldsmith, as well as Blacksmith.
If you like traveling quickly and one of those trades, Bastok is probably the one for you.

Don't let what you pick though from changing allegiance later on if you like one of the other two nations better. With saving the OP points (observation points which you can use to travel faster between areas), it is a good idea to try another nation out. Not to mention, more gil into your pocket from doing the rank missions.

As far as soloing purposes, job combination doesn't matter...at all. I mean people may frown at you, but hardly matters if you are on your own. In terms of party viability though, you won't be able to play a THF/BRD combination. Unless of course, you mean doing both as a primary job. Then, that is quite reasonable.

THF and BRD you will want to have ninja subleveled to 37 before you begin the journey of doing both as a main job. I myself played 75 THF like I mentioned below. It was a lot of fun and is one of the more detail-oriented jobs of the game.

You will have to be in tune as to what mobs detect by sound, sight, true sight, true sound depending on the areas you experience in. Thief requires more skill than bard in my opinion, because you will have to have better skilled pulls and a good ranged macro to sleep linking mobs...provided they can be slept.

Other than that, pleasant journey's! Nice picture!

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Don't let what you pick though from changing allegiance later on if you like one of the other two nations better. With saving the OP points (observation points which you can use to travel faster between areas), it is a good idea to try another nation out. Not to mention, more gil into your pocket from doing the rank missions.
Actually OP = Outpost. For some gil, you can be instantly transported to an outpost if you have done a supplies run for it previously. How much gil depends on what nation has control of the region.

As for the subject matter, I'm a mage, primarily. I've been slowly working Scholar because I hear it's an awesome subjob for White Mage and Summoner, my two 75 jobs so far. I can't say I'm convinced of this from seeing other /SCH people, but I'm going to continue working it anyway so I can ditch more low level gear. My favorite combo overall is WHM/BLM mainly for easy travel. For soloing, I prefer SMN/BLM for more MP, MP conservation and a quick ride home after. For farming I usually go WHM/THF.

T

tygenja

out of intereest, do people think there is enough difference between later installed jobs concerning the 'actual' effect rather than style or aesthetic appearance.
for example- the gap between a warrior and samurai?
no one really has to answer me here as ive not yet got the game,(in the post).
but id be interested to know if people think the developers are more innovative for the player, or more to keep poeple sucked in.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh, definitely. And different jobs (or job combos) can do different things. For example, if you start working CoP missions (one of the expansions), You will have to defeat three "promyvion" fights. Rangers and Summoners are actually sought out for that fight because of their two hour ability. Going without one of these jobs makes the fight more difficult, and depending on the jobs you take, sometimes impossible. Different jobs are more skilled to use different weapons, and different monsters are strong/weak against different types of damage. So a WHM's club would do next to nothing to a slime, while a DRG's polearm would take it down pretty quick.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually OP = Outpost. For some gil, you can be instantly transported to an outpost if you have done a supplies run for it previously. How much gil depends on what nation has control of the region.
Yeah sorry thanks for the correction. OP = outpost...yep. lol Obviously my mind was on some other game. Some OP's you have to be a certain level to use as well, so keep that in mind.

i.e. You wouldn't want to goto Cape Terrigan to use it if you don't have a LV65 job ^^.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wouldn't wanna go to Cape Terragin

You coulda stopped there. lol That's one nasty place for anyone but a 75

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You wouldn't wanna go to Cape Terragin

You coulda stopped there. lol That's one nasty place for anyone but a 75
Come on!...It's great fun as long as you don't aggro all of the Greater manticore's all at once lol. You're in good shape if you don't.

Oh, that said if whoever reads this is a new thief, it is the BEST place to steal your thief testimony. I recommend equipping +steal items and then just once every 5 minutes...giving it a go. You have the OP to zone the goblin around till he despawns or the zone that is near by the OP.

Go THF/NIN. Was my favorite job combo even though it wasn't the first job I played.

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
White Mage testi seems to drop better here too. And when I had to kill the Mercenaries the Warrior testi dropped pretty easy, too. I wish I had known this when I needed mine; took forever to get one off the Sahagins..

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
White Mage testi seems to drop better here too. And when I had to kill the Mercenaries the Warrior testi dropped pretty easy, too. I wish I had known this when I needed mine; took forever to get one off the Sahagins..
Yeah good call. I'm not sure why the probability for those is better there...but it is.

T

tygenja

have i made my life really difficult by starting in windy as an elvan THF? as it seems to be a palce for more magic schooled classes?
anyway thanks for all the advice poeple have given me so far, im nearly level 7, and i hear the tahrongi canyons are the direction towards these'so important dunes' although i dont know why they aare good.
is it cos thats where people etnd to go anyway, and when we are lvl 10-15 we start looking for parties?
ps im on a server that starts with a 'p', cant remeber the rest, but was like near top of listt... i think its amazingly empty though, i dont really mind, cos im on alinkshell with people called RELENTLESS, and they are helpful enough
(sorry, i know im going off topic, but i assume no one wants me to make a new topic for every question i have..)
thanks again xx ps the char is called Tygen

Trish

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By starting as an Elf in Windy, you basically lost your right to a ring (at least in Sandy it's a ring, not sure about Windy), and as you mentioned you are VERY far from the Dunes which will make it tough for you when you're ready to party. I'm a San d'Orian Tarutaru mage and being far from "Magicland" hasn't hurt me one bit. You should be OK as well. By the time you need to be in other cities, you'll be big enough to handle it, assuming you keep up on quests like the Chocobo license and your missions (for access to Airships).

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
have i made my life really difficult by starting in windy as an elvan THF? as it seems to be a palce for more magic schooled classes?
anyway thanks for all the advice poeple have given me so far, im nearly level 7, and i hear the tahrongi canyons are the direction towards these'so important dunes' although i dont know why they aare good.
is it cos thats where people etnd to go anyway, and when we are lvl 10-15 we start looking for parties?
ps im on a server that starts with a 'p', cant remeber the rest, but was like near top of listt... i think its amazingly empty though, i dont really mind, cos im on alinkshell with people called RELENTLESS, and they are helpful enough
(sorry, i know im going off topic, but i assume no one wants me to make a new topic for every question i have..)
thanks again xx ps the char is called Tygen
Interesting combination you ended up picking. It REALLY makes NO difference with what you have picked. After you get rank 2 or whatever it is where you can do the Outpost missions, you should do so. Get the OP for the Dunes zone as well as your home area. Those in the long run will help you alot and save TONS of time on travel.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i think my ideal job mix will have to be thief and bard, i suppose not many ppl would do that due to the job descriptions, but who knows?
I just wanted to add also, that even though you picked Windurst and don't get a "good" starter ring, you can do the promies and the Aht Urghan missions to pick up 2 nice end game rings for thief. You can use both of these full time for tp gain (gaining a % over 100% and you can execute a weapon skill):

Rajas Ring: http://ffxi.somepage.com/itemdb/7091

and then of course:

Ulthalam's Ring: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Ulthalam's_Ring

An accuracy ring is preferable over using Ulthalam's ring depending on what weapon skill you will be using, the given situation, and of course...most important of all, what you will be fighting.

Please, please, please don't do what I have seen so many thieves do which is using SATA rings while doing TP gain.

If you need help once you get that far, I can set up some simple macros for you. It makes so much difference AND it is not THAT difficult to do. Trust me.