• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Fastest DPS pet to kill 20% fire resist monster

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I could use some suggestions for best pet to kill single target mobs with 20% fire resist. I'm thinking a Chiv Crimson drake but what special move? Is there a special move that would be better than AI here? AI ignores armor but has a 10% penalty so I'm thinking AI might not be the most efficient.

My tamer build will sit there and watch my pet kill as I support it. It's a bard tamer with just enough necro and SS to cast Corpse Skin. Note: I'm going for speed but also don't want to cast offensive spells or attack with weapons.

Last edited:

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd personally go with a RC/AI fire beetle. I would think the time would be similar, maybe a little slower. Plus you can ride it.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake. That's the highest damage output pet for that kind of mob. You could even go with AP instead of AI if the Drake is specifically for only that kind of mob.

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
Agree with this. I would probably keep both a fire beetle and crimson or plat drake with 100 fire

fire beetle is good for rideabiltiy and building an armor ignore / RC one is really fast. Reaching 120 chiv is super annoying. Beetles take longer to reach 5 Slots but they skill up super fast since RC and AI don’t require skills.

it’s good to have a mount if you want to run past things or escape when you get in trouble. Also can’t really invis your self and the drake as easy as sitting on the beetle and Invis yourself.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Yep, 120 Chiv+AI 100% Fire Crimson Drake. That's the highest damage output pet for that kind of mob. You could even go with AP instead of AI if the Drake is specifically for only that kind of mob.
Thanks! I’ll play with a chiv/AP in test center and see how well it performs.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
fire beetle is good for rideabiltiy and building an armor ignore / RC one is really fast.
I personally prefer RC+AP on my Beetles, but that's because i'm in a big guild, and i use the Beetle to debuff the boss so that everyone deals more damage. I use Chiv+AI pets (usually 100% Elemental Drakes) for soloing. With 15+ people attacking Osiredon (Scalis) though, me bringing a RC+AP Beetle causes the boss to drop much faster than if i had just brought another 120 Chiv+AI pet.

Thanks! I’ll play with a chiv/AP in test center and see how well it performs.
Yeah, against a target with 20% Fire Resist, a 100% Fire Crimson Drake is better off with AP than AI. AP ignores half of the opponent's Resists, while applying a +10% Damage Taken debuff for 3 seconds. Armor Ignore ignores 100% of the opponent's Resists, but deals 90% damage, and doesn't apply a debuff to the victim.
So the AP Crimson Drake would hit an opponent with AP, then for the next 3 seconds he deals 10% more damage with all attacks to that same foe (everyone attacking that foe deals +10% damage during the AP debuff). Against foes with higher Fire Resist though, AI is better than AP, especially solo.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
20 fire resist is too low for RC to make a real difference.

Either a chiv/ap fire drake or a chiv/ap(or ai) fire steed would outdo the beetle
A Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle performs pretty well against the Ice spawn as well. The "Knockout" Passive they have can cause their regular auto attacks to suddenly hit a lot harder, and when they use Fists of Fury, it can deal devastating damage, especially when all three hits land.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A Wrest Mastery Fire Beetle performs pretty well against the Ice spawn as well. The "Knockout" Passive they have can cause their regular auto attacks to suddenly hit a lot harder, and when they use Fists of Fury, it can deal devastating damage, especially when all three hits land.
@PlayerSkillFTW

May I ask a question about the Ice Dungeon's Paragons ?

A 100% Fire Crimson Drake seems to have quite a good deal of trouble against Paragon Artic Ogre Lords, Paragon White Wyrms and Paragon Snow Elementals to the point that, often it is not possible to take either of those 3 down solo and another player is needed to help kill them. Of course, not always there might be another player around to get those Paragon kills done.... so, often they are skipped and they add up in the dungeon.

Is there a different pet that would do better against those 3 Paragons and be able to take them down with reasonable ease and faster ?

Thanks.

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
There is no easy button all kill and sit there pet....

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@PlayerSkillFTW

A 100% Fire Crimson Drake seems to have quite a good deal of trouble against Paragon Artic Ogre Lords, Paragon White Wyrms and Paragon Snow Elementals to the point that, often it is not possible to take either of those 3 down solo and another player is needed to help kill them. Of course, not always there might be another player around to get those Paragon kills done.... so, often they are skipped and they add up in the dungeon.

Is there a different pet that would do better against those 3 Paragons and be able to take them down with reasonable ease and faster ?

Thanks.
Are you healing and running consume? My triton would die if I did not.
You need to learn how to use your pet and keep it at near full HP so it does not lose stamina. Also a few flamestrikes. Would slow down the speed of their attacks.

Also those paragons hit pretty hard. It's nice to have a small challenge.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you healing and running consume? My triton would die if I did not.
You need to learn how to use your pet and keep it at near full HP so it does not lose stamina. Also a few flamestrikes. Would slow down the speed of their attacks.

Also those paragons hit pretty hard. It's nice to have a small challenge.
Yes, but the problem is, that unless the Paragon goes down FAST, and I really mean fast, chances are that more spawn pops up around the Paragon being fought and that easily puts the tamer into trouble... going inviso does not help since there is a Paragon being fought and a pet that needs be healed so the Tamer simply gets revealed a go-go... and if the Tamer moves away from the Paragon to inviso, then the pet loses its heals... if another Paragon spawned in the area of the fight the pet is easily dead, with no heals...

Scripters dealt with this by simply using additional accounts and synchronizing their "all kill" to quickly kill the paragon in no time using multiple account all synchronized among them.

But what about legittimate players who only play 1 account and 1 Tamer and not wanting to script and cheat ?

Sure, if there is additional players in the vicinity they can band together and quickly kill the Paragon but what if at the time that the Tamer plays there is noone else ? A pet that is capable of taking down FAST, and I mean fast, those 3 Paragons, White Wyrm, Artic Ogre Lord and Snow Elemental, would be much needed.

Is there such a pet available ? With what type of training ?

JBOlsen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often need to do some cleanning in ice when i arrive, all those panickng whimps(sampires) fleeing from the paragons... i can solo all the paragons on my tamer, hardest instance was a para WW, para ogre Lord and para snow elemental combined, used a 110 scrolled fire bettle(rc/ai/goo).

But like the deceit theres no easy button, you need to practice/train positioning....

A hint the reason i can kill the paragons has nothing to do about the pet, i use a high sdi necromage, corpse skin and equip the relevant slayer book! When corpsed my flamestrikes deal around 500dmg to a para WW.

Last edited:

Max Blackoak

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
come on everyone, don't leave Popps hanging like this. Spill the beans on that one pet build that will let you kill paragon WWs within 30 seconds. The one build that doesn't require any playerskill at all.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I often need to do some cleanning in ice when i arrive, all those panickng whimps(sampires) fleeing from the paragons... i can solo all the paragons on my tamer, hardest instance was a para WW, para ogre Lord and para snow elemental combined, used a 110 scrolled fire bettle(rc/ai/goo).

But like the deceit theres no easy button, you need to practice/train positioning....

A hint the reason i can kill the paragons has nothing to do about the pet, i use a high sdi necromage, corpse skin and equip the relevant slayer book! When corpsed my flamestrikes deal around 500dmg to a para WW.
That makes it more a fighter then a Tamer...... I think the Tamer is more a "support" character to one's own pet, there to heal, cure and what not, but not really there to fight along side of the pet.

I mean, the pet is a Tamer's weapon so, it is the pet that should do the killing, not the Tamer.

That is why I am more looking for the right pet with the right training that could kill those 3 Paragons fast without fighting support from the Tamer but only getting heals, cures and the likes....

On that note, I fail to understand why the Developers took away the ability to use Word of Death on Paragons but there is still ways to deliver to them as much damage as WoD can do (like 500dms to a Paragon WW....), sounds pretty much like double standards to me......

Last edited:

Meat Elemental

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You have a horrible tamer skillset if the only thing you can do to help your pet is heal and cure just sayin... So many gave you options...there is no super pet.

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

JBOlsen

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I get your point, but we need to consider that in order to fight afk farming, the devs made “improvements” that requires a active playstyle.

Regarding the 500dmg flamestrikes im using a high sdi suit combined with my 30sdi dragon slayer book(lesser slayer = 3x dmg), i did the same vs. the paragon poison elementals in deciet, different lesser slayer same princip. Ohh and i also have 120 SW on the template never tried to cast arcane impowerment before FS, but that would give me 40sdi x 3 more damage My wod’s normal dish out 768 dmg(without arcane impowerment).

To kill something quick in ice dungeon you need to hit the mobs lowest resist(fire), but if you reflect a little over this fact, you will understand that a pet which deal fire damage are also natural vulnerable to cold damage..

You have all rights to make your own definition of a tamer, just dont expect you can solo everything in 30 seconds! I perfectly knows the strengths and limitations of my template.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think the Tamer is more a "support" character to one's own pet, there to heal, cure and what not, but not really there to fight along side of the pet
If that's case what are the stats on your pet? What value Chivalry does it have?

maybe you have a weak weapon.

Like I said, my Triton kills them all and has no problem if something else spawns. But he has skills.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
I’m not sure what the issue is. I can solo paragon WW’s. Is it slow, yes but I can do it. If I was a little smarter, I’d adjust my skills given WoD is useless.
The pet I like to use there is my discord triton, especially against the paragons. Personally, I love seeing a paragon white wyrm spawn, I enjoy the challenge.

As far as I know, there is no “super” pet that can kill everything in 10 seconds, if there is, no one told me ;)

Seraphina_152

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I think the Tamer is more a "support" character to one's own pet, there to heal, cure and what not, but not really there to fight along side of the pet.
Just because that's how you play a tamer doesn't mean that's what *the* tamer needs to be. Besides, you can do what you mention with just 120 Taming/Lore and GM Magery/Vet. That leaves you with 280 skill points to spend on skills that help your pet kill faster. There's more ways to support your pet then just standing there as a bandage dispenser.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © can kill Paragons much faster with his 120 Disco+CB Triton debuffing and tanking the Paragon, as i run Death Ray on it. Here's what my Death Ray ticks do every 3 seconds to a Paragon WW with a Dragon Slayer spellbook equipped.
WW Damage.PNG

My Macer/Pally can kill Paragons in under 30 seconds as well (oftentimes under 20 seconds), with Stagger neutering their melee damage output and allowing me to out heal their damage with bandies.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@PlayerSkillFTW

Thanks.
Fastest way I have found to take them out? AI Cu with a 125 sdi handler casting fs with an Ogre/Dragon/Snow slayer book. I can literally one shot normal snow elles (3 shot paras), fs and fb normal ww's... so the para version goes down fairly quickly as well, especially with the Cu tanking. As for the normal spawn? I seldom even get off the Cu. Just run through fs stuff.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © can kill Paragons much faster with his 120 Disco+CB Triton debuffing and tanking the Paragon, as i run Death Ray on it. Here's what my Death Ray ticks do every 3 seconds to a Paragon WW with a Dragon Slayer spellbook equipped.
View attachment 114875

My Macer/Pally can kill Paragons in under 30 seconds as well (oftentimes under 20 seconds), with Stagger neutering their melee damage output and allowing me to out heal their damage with bandies.
Thanks for the reminder. I still need to check into Death Ray more. Already carry a Taming and SW level 3 on that char, with that kind of damage from death ray I need to look at adding that Mage 3 in as an option as well.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the reminder. I still need to check into Death Ray more. Already carry a Taming and SW level 3 on that char, with that kind of damage from death ray I need to look at adding that Mage 3 in as an option as well.
The Death Ray Tamer/Mage © is basically an old 6x120 Tamer/Mage template, just with Lvl 3 Magery Mastery and a 120 Disco+CB Triton. I use a Human for JoAT, so i can get into Wraith Form with a scroll and leech back Mana to keep sustaining Death Ray.
120 Magery
120 Eval
120 Med
120 Taming
120 Lore
120 Vet

The Triton is built to tank the enemy while debuffing their Energy Resist, so that Death Ray deals more damage. Death Ray itself also lowers the victim's Energy Resist by 10 when channeled. It all stacks to reduce the victim's Energy Resist a ton, and it stacks even further with Rune Corruption and Onslaught. The AP debuff also increases it's total damage by +10%. When my guild does Scalis, i'll dual client my Disco/Tamer with a RC+AP Fire Beetle, and my Death Ray Tamer/Mage © with his 120 Disco+CB Triton, and Scalis just melts because of all the debuffs increasing his damage taken with a big group on him.
Death Ray isn't affected by SDI, so no need for an ultra expensive high SDI suit (although SDI does help for E-Bolts/Chain Lightning in fights where Death Ray is too hard to sustain). The biggest Death Ray tick i've seen so far, was a 1,040 damage tick against a 0 resists Bone Daemon in Blackthorn's with a Demon Slayer spellbook equipped.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
View attachment 114875

Oops!! I can hear the (in-)famous nerf-mobile approaching..Looks like the ninja-nerf bat is targeting Macing and Stagger..Scary thought..:oops:

Last edited:

Billy Butcher

Journeyman
UNLEASHED
Yeah I am at the point in UO where I don't post anything that works very well because of the stealth nerf bat. Lord knows they always over nerf things instead of bringing other things up a level or so to allow a level playing field. They nerf anything a little bit better to dust making it no longer useful like brainless idiots killing spiders with a flamethrower..........

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
That makes it more a fighter then a Tamer...... I think the Tamer is more a "support" character to one's own pet, there to heal, cure and what not, but not really there to fight along side of the pet.

I mean, the pet is a Tamer's weapon so, it is the pet that should do the killing, not the Tamer.
That isn't even remotely true. My pet is there to support me. Whether that is tanking, helping damage, or debuffing the target in some way for me or my group. I will always outdamage my pet. I know a lot of people do the lazy tamer type of playstyle and that's fine too. Whatever makes you enjoy the game will work. But tamers can and are a lot more than just support for their pet.