• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Explosion potions - aggressive use disabled?

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the official position regarding the aggressive use of explosion potions and the like?

They appear to have been disabled as far as inflicting damage on player characters apart from the thrower. Noone I have asked recalls a specific statement being made to this effect but I would like to think that that's simply an oversight on their part and mine.

If they have been deliberately crippled, can someone confirm why this was done and point me towards the explanation?

Ona similar note, have Exploding Tar potions EVER worked as intended?

Many thanks in advance

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What is the official position regarding the aggressive use of explosion potions and the like?

They appear to have been disabled as far as inflicting damage on player characters apart from the thrower. Noone I have asked recalls a specific statement being made to this effect but I would like to think that that's simply an oversight on their part and mine.

If they have been deliberately crippled, can someone confirm why this was done and point me towards the explanation?

Ona similar note, have Exploding Tar potions EVER worked as intended?

Many thanks in advance
For a long time there was a bug allowing people to activate multiple explode potions. The 'process' allowed people to have 3 potions going at a time, and would throw the potion at the last possible second before explosion.

They call it "machine gunning". Basically, you would have an archer chase you with moving shots and having 3 explode pots hit you consecutively.

They are not entirely nerfed, just not usable in that method anymore.

Sometimes I will activate an explode pot and cancel the cursor if I'm dumping on a dexer. The damage will still do ~20 from my focused alchemist/parry mage and they are cursed. Just a good way to stack a little more damage.

get em cursed

use explode pot, cancel target cursor (start 3 sec timer) (~20 dmg)
explosion, target (36 dmg)
use conflag, target self (12 per tick)
flame strike, target (49 dmg)
supernova (25 dmg)

Obviously this tactic doesn't work against any decent mage, but it works quite well against dexers. I've even dropped a few bestial suit dexers because they think they're invincible and don't realize how much damage the conflag is doing.

Skelf

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Many thanks for the input Lynk.

I was aware of the multi-explosion tactic but hadn't seen it used, or discussed for that matter, since I returned to UO a couple of years ago. It obviously needed fixing.

It wasn't so much that element as the fact that blue/grays can't hurt blues...in fact, to get full utility out of AoE potions, you need to be red or fight only orange. I wasn't up to speed on that particular aspect... and...Exploding Tar Potions...have any *ever* exploded or are we back in the blue/red limitation area? Any idea?

Out of interest, since I am currently playing around with a possible Bestial setup, what Bestial dexer templates have you been seeing?

Z

Zero Day

Explosion changes were changed along with AOE and field spells quite a few years back. ( So your fields and aoe dont hit fellow blues or guildies)
Your field spells only hit people who are not in your guild, criminally flagged, murderers or if you are a murderer then almost anyone :)