• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Every one is a Computer Scientist

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I love how everyone on Stratics is a Computer scientist with 14 years hard core coding experience, also not to mention they all come with Network Engineering degrees, and now it would seen Computer Forensics and Data security. LoL, I LOL @ U.

err. Everyone* I don't claim to be an English major !

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm just a poor, unskilled liberal artist. I wish that I were more technical, but math is hard. ;_;

C

Capn Kranky

I love how noobs come here - most likely after graduating summa c u m (sorry ... Latin won't pass filter!) laude with a CS degree and want to just trash folks who **might** have more experience than them. All from behind the Internet Anonimity Layer!

I started with programming in 1973 from what was then a highly accredited school that has since been absorbed into bigger corporate entities. However after dealing in such esoteric things as
plug-board coding
RPG II
Level F COBOL
Fortran 4
System/360 Assembler
6502 Assembler
C, C+ and C#
Dartmouth BASIC, Atari BASIC (Dartmouth subset), PICK BASIC (modified Dartmouth)
Pascal
VB, VB.Net, ASP.NET
... and others if I strain

and then dealing with SQL in 1985 when it was an infant and Oracle didn't have a clue.

Only to find years later the braggadocio of the locker room still exists. I have no CS degree, but I do have 38 years of hardcore coding, debugging, project lead, documentation, sales and support behind me.

Have fun! While these and other parts of my CV are "legacy" they are the building blocks of current position and path.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love how noobs come here - most likely after graduating summa c u m (sorry ... Latin won't pass filter!) laude with a CS degree and want to just trash folks who **might** have more experience than them. All from behind the Internet Anonimity Layer!

I started with programming in 1973 from what was then a highly accredited school that has since been absorbed into bigger corporate entities. However after dealing in such esoteric things as
plug-board coding
RPG II
Level F COBOL
Fortran 4
System/360 Assembler
6502 Assembler
C, C+ and C#
Dartmouth BASIC, Atari BASIC (Dartmouth subset), PICK BASIC (modified Dartmouth)
Pascal
VB, VB.Net, ASP.NET

and then dealing with SQL in 1985 when it was an infant and Oracle didn't have a clue.

Only to find years later the braggadocio of the locker room still exists. I have no CS degree, but I do have 38 years of hardcore coding, debugging, project lead, documentation, sales and support behind me.

Have fun! While these and other parts of my CV are "legacy" they are the building blocks of current position and path.
Yes but how many wedgies have you gotten in all this time?

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

RawHeadRex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i've seen some of these types that make all sorts of claims to coding yet ...

have no reference for hardware or other facets of the trade. very few are
self actualized.

C

Capn Kranky

Agreed ... and in my case my big yapper (and those of a couple peers) got my tookus assigned to a project that will affect about 150 employees in the company, along with job descriptions and requirements of the job ... and the 7 of us in the pilot report directly to the CIO.

Our company is the 2nd largest in our field (electrical generation and transmission) and a Fortune 500 company. But it was our experiences that got us in the project. Least amount of IT years - about 20.

C

Capn Kranky

<nods> I know ... I just wonder if the OP has even been back here to see the dust we've kicked around. I rose to his bait, now let him respond ...

or something like that. <shrug>

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I am not saying I am the only person in the world that knows anything about computers, nor am I saying that if you didn't go to college you have no idea what you are talking about, when it comes to technology. But what I am saying is, it drives me nuts when someone comments on a subject that they are totally ignorant of. Even if the subject isn't Computation, I personally don't go around making comments about open heart surgery. You know why, because I don't know anything about it.

RuSini Neb

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran

plug-board coding
RPG II
Level F COBOL
Fortran 4
System/360 Assembler
6502 Assembler
C, C+ and C#
Pascal
VB, VB.Net, ASP.NET

By the way I work for a pipeline fitting company, been here about 4 years now. They picked me up my last year of college. We have 4 Business Application Database Programmers, A Network Technician and a Department Manager. We write code for this location and various others both stateside as well as overseas. I think that's enough experience to not consider my self a noob.

Languages
Went to school for Embedded systems:
Assembly ( few forms of it )
Basic
C
C#
C++
I work with on a Daily bassist:
Genero ( IBM's old Informix )
lots of Bash Scripting
Perl
some Ruby, and java but not much.

p.s I am not the Technician.

C

Capn Kranky

Oh jeez ... Genero? We actually had Informix apps on the old Unix system ... but they've been absorbed elsewhere now. The old chassis of the Unix system is awaiting disposition/recycling in a corner of the computer room.

Nearly all my experience is in the business application side of things - as opposed to realtime. Although I have helped out the RT guys when they've needed a hand reviewing code (Fortran!!)

I saw your other posts and now understand where you're coming from. It wasn't quite clear in the original one! <shrug> My bad ... lousy interpretation. Oh, I still dabble a bit with UniVerse which I believe is IBM product (formerly Informix, formerly VMark) and we just shut down a Maximo (IBM product, formerly MRO) legacy database this past Thursday.