• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Event related from the book "Taming Dragons".

T

Trebr Drab

I'll make bold the interesting part....

Taming dragons

by Wyrd Beastmaster

I have not much to tell about dragons. The sole time I approached one with an eye towards taming it, my initial attempts at calming it met with failure. It fixed a massive beady eye upon me, and began its slithering approach, intending no doubt to insert me into its maw and bear down with its teeth.

However, as I was engaged in what remains to this day the most terrifying combat of my life, the dragon suddenly whirled as if in a panic, ran a short distance, took off into the air, then transformed into a whirlwind. Lastly, it exploded, showering gouts of black blood and heaving, stinking flesh upon miles of countryside. The fireball was massive enough to light a city I should surmise.

I never did discover the exact cause of this strange behavior except to assume that it was not typical for this reptilian species. My best guesses revolve around a magical fracture in the nature of reality, which is far too esoteric a territory for one of my limited scholarship.

Hence my basic advice to those who seek to tame a dragon-be sure that thou hast mastered the twin skills of taming animals, and running away very fast.
It doesn't exactly fit, but I wonder if ol' Wyrd is the "human" Valvakka was talking about.

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wasn't that just a story about something that happened to an actual playtester during beta?

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You think wrong.

This was an actual bug during the alpha/beta stages of UO. Everyone found it so hilarious that it was immortalized in that book.
Hmmm.....

And perhaps, even if not directly relevant to figuring out the event, at least a hint to their source material on designing it?

-Galen's player