• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Event Item Names

Event Item Names

• Name of the item

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • Describing the item

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Stupid catch phrase

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just out of curiosity of what the public thinks about the name of an item. I've seen a gradual change from just naming the item to describing the item to stupid phrases.

For example in the beginning there were items like:

1. Ostard Talon Necklace
2. Spider Fang Sword
really cool stuff

then the past couple of years we get items like:

1. A Statue with the drawings of an eagle circling a bed of grass with a small rabbit sitting on top of a small piece of turd watching the sunset goes by, you know typical Atlantic items.

then now we start to get just random phrases like:

1. Time goes by
2. Eat fart and drop
you get the meaning

Here is another example:

If we take a look at Bilbo Baggins sword in the Hobbit:

Example 1 would be "The Sting"

Example 2 would be "The Elvish Sword Crafted 3,000 Years Ago by Sigfreed And Roy , Two Wooden Elvish Twins Born To An Elder Elvish Blacksmith Named Yohan And Used Special Steal With A Mixer Of 6% Copper, 12% Nickel, 39 %Bronze, and Rest From An Unknown Element Fallen From The Sky Over The Blood Moon On A Summer's Eve"

Example 3 would be "Flying Potatoes"

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't specifically like the options given inside the poll.

My personal opinion is that I like an item that has a description from the event and it's storyline - but does NOT overwhelm the reader or item.

The whole purpose of an event item is to remember the event for which it dropped at. I don't like short name OR catch phrases because it doesn't give the obtainer or reader an image of the history of an item.

Long name - Yes - 100%
Long name with meaningless text - No

Short name - depends
Short name that is meaningless - no

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i like both the simple "oldschool" type item names, as well as the long descriptive names (as long as its done well with correct grammar and not long just for the sake of being long)

not a fan on the "catch phrase, but thats what i voted for cause i couldnt vote for the 2 i wanted : P

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've always thought it would be cool to have the date attached to the items. Maybe not in the title but when you double click them it would show it (along with the sound effect if there is one).

EDIT - I voted option 1.

Last edited:

Kolka

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Patron
I prefer the short and sweet names, but at this point I'd settle for them just using a spell checker. Such as "A Broken Vase Crafted in Tokuno and Once holding The Spirt Of the Djinn Izumo And Still Hot" . Although it may have some interesting and new RP applications .....

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've always thought it would be cool to have the date attached to the items. Maybe not in the title but when you double click them it would show it (along with the sound effect if there is one).

EDIT - I voted option 1.
:slap:

Scott

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
it's hard to vote for catch phrase when the title just before it is "Stupid" - seems to run with the connotation that you are not a fan of #3. I would go with #1 most of all, but there have been some cool #2 items with the story lines...

The Mustachioed Mask is one of my fav's...
mustacheod mask.jpg

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
There's the occasional item name I like. But most of them just don't interest me. For most items, I'd rather they were more "simple deco"; all the crazy long names and hues just starts to look garish. I'd rather items more "fit" the game world. The perfect item that did this, imho, was the "a wig stand". It used the disguise kit graphic, and just the plain hue 0. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was a server birth. I'd love to see more drops that are like this.

The only exception would be for books; spellbooks with *good* names, books with good names and undyable hues... those fit nicely as it is.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
If the name goes with the event then yes, I'm all for it.

Take the latest Origin Item. Fuddy Wuddy Goblin's Treasure Box. Unless you were AT the event and/or read the story, that's just a silly name for a box that doesn't open.

The long LONG drawn out names that take up half a screen....need to be condensed a bit lol but some of them are pretty cool.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
So, for example, the time lord's rose atl drop... what would you think to rename it?

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
There's the occasional item name I like. But most of them just don't interest me. For most items, I'd rather they were more "simple deco"; all the crazy long names and hues just starts to look garish. I'd rather items more "fit" the game world. The perfect item that did this, imho, was the "a wig stand". It used the disguise kit graphic, and just the plain hue 0. If you didn't know better, you'd swear it was a server birth. I'd love to see more drops that are like this.

The only exception would be for books; spellbooks with *good* names, books with good names and undyable hues... those fit nicely as it is.
oooo meees needs one ob dem
GOBLIN TRESURE BOXES!!

Last edited:

Restless

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

i've never been a fan of server births. I prefer rares to be more flashy and noticeable when showing off. only server births i've ever cared for is the 2 story statue and circle tarot.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't mind long names as long as it is describing what is physically being seen, felt, etc.

It is like RP profiles who give the characters life story and that their mom was killed in a tragic baking accident... how the hell would I know that by looking at you.

ex. A necklace made of dragon teeth whose sharpness have dulled with the passage of time.
ex. A necklace made of old dragon teeth belonging to Bob the Dragon who was the scourge of Britannia.

The first gives info based on what someone would see by looking or examining it. The second gives info that is not something that can be seen.

I don't mind simple short names either with the exception any including of Names, Shards, Dates, OOC references.

Even though I haven't Rp'd in a community for a couple years, I still prefer the items with rp context. I'm an old, elitist rper.

An' I didn't vote in the poll because I couldn't match my preference to one of the answers.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If we take a look at Bilbo Baggins sword in the Hobbit:

Example 1 would be "The Sting"

Example 2 would be "The Elvish Sword Crafted 3,000 Years Ago by Sigfreed And Roy , Two Wooden Elvish Twins Born To An Elder Elvish Blacksmith Named Yohan And Used Special Steal With A Mixer Of 6% Copper, 12% Nickel, 39 %Bronze, and Rest From An Unknown Element Fallen From The Sky Over The Blood Moon On A Summer's Eve"

Example 3 would be "Flying Potatoes"
Kind of extreme don't you think?

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I like any type of name as long as its good.

Incorrect spelling, bad grammar, dull, boring, names with dates , or names with the shard in it are the ones I dislike.

Examples of names I dislike:
1. A Broken Vase Crafted In Tokuno And Once Holding The Spirt Of The Djinn Izumu And Still Hot - Bad Grammar/Misspelling
2. The Mounted Head Of The Dragon Setekh - Slain On St. George's Day 2015 - Date/Holiday
3. Sugar Scoop - Boring/Dull
4. Mysterious Crystaline Dragons Tears - Misspelling

I know, I am pretty fickle. Some people enjoy those items, but they just arent my personal preference.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That's tough. On one hand, it's a description of the item - basically rose belonging to the Time Lord. So if just a generic name like "A Violet Rose" doesn't sound as cool to me.

For me, I just like items that are named like
"Bane Of Hylolth"
"The Standard Of Chaos"
"The Orb Of Dominion"
"Helmet Of The Damned"
"The Immortal Almanac"
etc..

Take this week's Sonoma drop for example, I would have liked "A Bottlenose Dolphin" just like that. But again, different strokes for different folks. I am sure there are a lot of people like the name that's on it now.