• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Event Item Drop Number/ GDS System

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At a few ATL events Bennu has talked about a guaranteed drop system, can anyone explain how this works? Bennu has only been doing 2 events a month with maybe 20-30 drops at each event but he says with this GDS he's over 100 dropped items in a month. So I'm wondering how people can get these extra items.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The way I understand it is that it works kinda like the Doom point system. Every event boss you get looting rights on gives you a "point". The more "points" you have the more likely you are to get an extra drop that isn't part of the normal 20-30 that drop. I believe points are reset when you get a drop or transfer shards.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
The way I understand it is that it works kinda like the Doom point system. Every event boss you get looting rights on gives you a "point". The more "points" you have the more likely you are to get an extra drop that isn't part of the normal 20-30 that drop. I believe points are reset when you get a drop or transfer shards.
My understanding is the same as Merus.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if I end up with no EM drop, but I do get a Sign of the Order shield from the boss, that wipes my chances for upcoming event drops?

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
At the follow-up, EM Bennu also mentioned if one wasn't " good" the GM would have a conversation with those folks, and they actually watched the event!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
theres so many factors that go into estimating drop numbers that you really have to attend the shards events consistently, and keep an eye on the intricacies of the event and the players there.

a very general rule of thumb is # of characters at the event, divided by 4, plus the base number the EM requested.

also taking into consideration if it was an "everyone drop" the month before (resets points) or if its known that players with large amounts of characters got many of the drops at the previous event.

multiple bosses (2 or more) also yields higher numbers because you gain points for each boss.
take the event on atlantic where the first round of ebony tables dropped. Playing 2 characters, with 7 bosses, i got 7 drops. I would estimate there were about 80 to 120 total in reality for that "20" requested drop.

Theres also circumstances like if there was a problem with the boss, if it went down in seconds, if half the group was lost / seperated, if a stomper killed half the crowd and the boss died before people could get looting rights, if very few showed up for the event because it was posted wrong or not announced, if there were multiple "boss like" monsters, but only 1 actually had the drop on it. these examples have all happened at some point that ive personally experienced.

This is why we have seen a drastic decrease in event item prices. In general, taking into account gold inflation the drops we get now sell for only about 25% of the value before the system was put in place 2 years ago. Its a more casual system where everyone has a chance, but has also led to drastic increase in players using 5 to 10 automated characters.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so pretty much take no notice of the ''selling 1 of 20''....tags...xxx..theres probably minumn x2 that even 3x 4x that number dropped.

Cerwin Vega

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I dont see large drop numbers as a bad thing, makes it much easier for the non UO rich/hardcore event players to get these items. I know the people that get rich selling event items probably see it differently.

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Honestly I dont see large drop numbers as a bad thing
The number deal is the only thing last night that made me go.. "Whut?". Kinda made me wonder who was saying that was a bad thing or if they were merely providing information.

On a different note.. anyone know how many of the "top half" dropped on antiquity bones? ;)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly I dont see large drop numbers as a bad thing, makes it much easier for the non UO rich/hardcore event players to get these items. I know the people that get rich selling event items probably see it differently.
i dont see the higher drop numbers, as a bad thing by itself. the points system is great, and does ensure that if your attending the events, and get looting rights, that you WILL get event items.

however the two major problems i do see with it is:
the rediculous amount of unchecked botters - this makes it harder for all just to get looting rights. Characters definitely have a much harder time getting rights than they did at the start of the system change, and causes EMs to have to make "artificially hard" bosses that can be really frustrating if your not using a cheat program. Deathspit for example, combined with val elemental. EM bennus go to template it seems, but with the lag caused by 200 characters (about 10 players control around one third of the total chracters at events) make it much harder to get rights than it was when the system was put in place.

what do we do? bot ourselves to adjust to the system? upgrade characters? Id say upgrading characters is perfectly natural, but is technically the reason the system was changed in the first place. because people didnt want to upgrade, and complained.

The other issue is by not knowing the true numbers, which makes it very hard to make an educated decsion when buying, or selling, event items.
If some weeks there are close to the actual 10 to 20, but some weeks much higher, its extremely hard for a buyer or seller to know what the true value will be. Ive underpaid and undersold items for less than half their worth, as well as overpaid / oversold items for double their worth under this system of not knowing the numbers. it just makes a huge aspect of rares collecting, knowing how rare the item actually is, largely unknown and in the best case scenerio an educated guess. thats why you have drops often tank in value when the botters / those with multiples offload, then people dont understand why the price goes back up and the item cant be found anywhere, or frustrating cases (espcially sets) where one peice might be worth 500m, while another piece is worth 50m. we saw this in the Traccor set (helm and chest very low number, others very high number) and will probably see it in the Legends set (helm was much higher number than the gloves) Its much harder to make an educated purchase or sale nowadays because we just dont know any of these numbers for sure. this isnt really good, or bad, just not what people are used to. players have to do a lot more legwork to figure out what the value of an item might end up being.

Last edited:

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
this wont fix anything, may help the multi char use. auto healing, bard buff using, cross healing, illegal program bs. only way to fix is one char per person. as more and more multis are developed, more single account users leave the game. most new people will not stay. they keep adding more and more drops as more and more multi chars are developed. watch what happens when market gets too flooded with drops, which is getting there. needs to be one char per person at events and have 1 to 5 drops only. these are just my opinions and means nothing.
oh by the way another friend just left game, closing many accounts. he just couldn't deal with what is going on but no one will care.

Last edited: