• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EM Site Feed [EVENT] A New Dawn

UO News

RSS Feed
RSS Feed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
12/5/2019 – The rangers met with Ranger Abigail one last time, as per Shamino’s instruction, Abigail was to oversee the conclusion of the Rangers Guild of Skara Brae. Abigail gave out promotions to those marked for advancement, and then gave the rangers their final quest. Katrina, who had left to search for anything that could point them down Julia’s old path, had returned after having found an old letter Julia once sent her containing clues for objects that she had hidden pertaining to the construction of the runes. Abigail gave the rangers her farewell, and then sent them off.

When Katrina arrived, she explained that the first item that Julia had mentioned was her personal sandalwood box, said to contain a few important items, which she had hidden in the depths of Covetous. In the depths of Covetous lurk some of the fiercest creatures known in Britannia, but this did not deter the rangers from braving its malevolent hallways in search for the box. With persistence, the rangers battled their way to a small chapel room where, beneath a thick layer of dust and cobwebs, they recovered the box once belonging to Julia. Inside, they found Julia’s runic template, and another letter, which Katrina left unopened for the time being.

Next, Katrina led the rangers to a beach south of Vesper, where Julia had indicated she buried “material”. As soon as the Katrina dug up an old treasure chest, they were accosted by the undead remains of Jack’s crew, emerging from the depths and drawn by the objects contained within the chest, which contained a huge pile of fragments of Julia’s past failed runes, which Lord British had requested she save. Taking these materials they sought out a secret runic forge once belonging to Julia, hidden far up in Crescent Mountain north of Minoc. This secret valley was accessible only by an old, magic gate that Katrina was able to activate.

At the forge, Katrina assembled the fragments onto the work area and lit the kindling. As the fires began to build, angry spirits manifested around the forge, seemingly riled by what was now becoming an intense channeling of ethereal energy. Having saw Julia build many runes in the past, Katrina was familiar with the process, doing her best to forge the rune while the rangers defended the forge from the malevolent spirits. Gradually, through the flames they could see a rune beginning to take form.

As the rangers clashed against the howling poltergeists, Katrina opened the letter that she had found in Julia’s sandalwood box, and read it aloud:

My Dear Katrina,
I must thank thee for all that thou hast done. In truth, I would not have been able to understand the Runes of Virtue without thee. Both their creation, and their purpose. Our liege commissioned these runes, not as prizes to be won, as he said, but objects to be sought. For the true purpose of the quest for Avatarhood, is to always seek, to always strive… to always look beyond the horizon. Our liege keenly knew that the Time Lord’s plan to reunite the shards would result in many lost lives. For within each shard of the shattered gem, individuals unique to the shards began to appear. It was the loss of these lives that our Lord Blackthorn opposed so virulently. Hence, our liege devised these runes – a path to salvation, for those that would be lost.

A path to Avatarhood.

But that plan, and the power that the Shrines contained to achieve it, faded in time… so too, will the runes, but their connection to the Shrines shall never fade. For this reason I am writing to thee, that should the runes be destroyed, defiled, or lost.. and shouldst thou require them when they can no longer be found anymore… thou wilt not be lost.

Contained within my sandalwood box is the template with which the runes can be shaped. Thou must apply the very same treatment thou hadst seen me perform so many times before. But know that a rune cannot be forged by sheer will alone. The runes, like the Shrines, must be charged with the sincere spirit of those that seek. Those that seek, those that search, those that strive. Those that look ever upward. The Virtues are not meant to control or contain – their purpose is uplift and to liberate the spirit. And when the stones begin to sing, thou shalt find thy voice among the chorus. For while the hammer may give them form, only a heart can make stones sing.

Please consider my words. I would wish thee well and that misfortune not come thy way but… after everything I have seen, I wonder if perhaps the adventure is worth all the trouble after all.

May the Virtues guide thy path.

Yours,
Julia

As the ghosts seemed to subside, the rune in the forge blazed with tremendous energy. A terrifying power emerged from it threatening to overwhelm all in the vicinity. This terrible fury had to be fought back, and valiantly, the rangers met the challenge. When the dust cleared, they found nestled in the charred wood the Rune of Valor. Having once been destroyed, it was now restored.

But the story will not end here.

Continue reading...