• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Europa Celebrates The 15th Anniversary! (Video)

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"It's been a hundred and eighty months of Ultima Online, we've got a ship full of booze, half a pack of Charbydis bait, it's dark, and we're wearing fishing hats.

Hit it."

Greetings all; after 170 more, but this time recorded fishing quests, I managed JUST to get some Charbydis bait the Saturday before the Anniversary Monday... so cramming my boat with as much alcohol as I could get into the hold, I invented everyone to come celebrate the event with a public casting!

And the results can be seen here;

It's a long video, 35 mins or so, and my first attempt at creating my own for a game, so be gentle! Watch it on YouTube itself for 720p resolution version.

I tried to create a retrospective of Ultimas for the soundtrack, using MIDI from 1988 (Ultima IV) up to MP3 today (Ultima Online, in deleted and current soundtracks), and hopefully it gives a little character and flavour to the video itself, as well as highlighting the quality of the games over the years, and even how Ultima Online itself has subtly changed both it's own grandparents (see if you can tell by ear the subtle re-workings of earlier songs!) and it's own heritage (as well as pinching UIXs soundtrack, it's had different versions of it's own standards over the year, some of the songs included are from older UO).... I wish there'd been a place for my favourite track, the old version of Occlo, but it alas didn't fit the mood or time constraints.

For those who like a challenge; try and name every song used! For those who just want to know where a particular lovely comes from, the full track listing is on the YouTube page... cross your fingers that they leave the soundtrack on though, as although I own originals of every Ultima, the tracks are not public domain of course. Please don't eat me, EA lawyers!

The fight itself is left raw, and focused heavily on me of course as my fisher was both host and camera! So the desktop's in there too, but I try to use it for wider entertainment... watch for celebratory fireworks!

I think I did ok with the resolution, but for some reason "The End" was meant to fade out and leave just the desktop, but I couldn't get it to stick in compression with either VirtualDub or VideoPad editors... I hope it doesn't spoil the mood I was going for at the end; just sit and think what we've had in 15 years (more than 30 for we oldies), and can look forward to tomorrow...

Also, really don't cast Charbydis bait on the Britain Subserver. I'm sure it's broken there, sigh. But we have an unexpected (for some, muahaha) guest who provides the fight instead!

Last edited:

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was very fun to watch!! Thanks for putting that on and filming it!

I loved your commentary as you ran around...it was entertaining to say the least! I felt bad that you spent all the time on the quests to get the Charybdis bait and he didn't come to your party...but that was really excellent!!