• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Enhanced Client Bugs?

Heskey

Visitor
Hi all,

I recently returned to UO and have been trying to get into the Enhanced Client. It's growing on me, but to make me very happy, I'd like to figure out why a couple of bugs exist, and how to fix them.

Rogue Hotbars

I have 2 hotbars that I keep minimized (one is the default one with the menu buttons). Every time I log into the game they've reset their positions into the middle of my game window (not stacked or in any logical place). I have tried moving them back, logging out via Esc > Log Out, and then reloaded the client only to find their positions have reset again. I have other hotbars and UI elements that don't do this.

Because they're in the middle of my game window, it's very annoying having to move them each time I log onto that character.

Slow Journal

Sometimes the journal doesn't capture the last thing said, until something else is said - and sometimes this can affect the last 2-3 messages. It seems more likely to happen the longer I'm logged into the game, as when I log in it works as intended - but after a couple of scrolls up/down, mis-clicks, or changing chat channel, it starts to play up.

Some Names

All Names only works some of the time. My macro is Alt + A and it'll show the names of some things and corpses on screen, but not others. A player ran past me before and it wouldn't show me his name, but when he came back 5 minutes later it did work. I was killing Earth Elementals and had 3 corpses around me. 2 more spawned - the names of the 3 corpses and 1 live EE would display, but not the other. It's just very random, with no logic.

Disarm Bag?

Is there a way to set a disarm bag so my weapons aren't thrown into my main backpack?

Turn/Face, not move

Is there a way to face your character in another direction without having them take a step in that direction? Seems like this I can never stand up against a wall, etc - I always have to be 1 square away from it.

Not a bug... but How do the Agents work?

I added all common gems (ruby/sapphire etc.) to a Sell Agent, but when I went to a vendor that would buy them, I had to sell them all manually. Would appreciate some guidance!

And I think that's about it. If I can get these sorted, I'll be a happy player.

All help appreciated, thanks in advance!

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ll let someone more knowledgeable reply to each concern, but I agree with almost all of them. I don't use the agents though.

Arroth Thaiel

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Rogue Hotbars

I have 2 hotbars that I keep minimized (one is the default one with the menu buttons). Every time I log into the game they've reset their positions into the middle of my game window (not stacked or in any logical place). I have tried moving them back, logging out via Esc > Log Out, and then reloaded the client only to find their positions have reset again. I have other hotbars and UI elements that don't do this.

Because they're in the middle of my game window, it's very annoying having to move them each time I log onto that character.
Not sure what is going on here, but my hotbars definitely do not do this. I also have the bar with the menu buttons off to the side and it stays where it is. Actually, all the UI elements stay where they were assigned.

Are you running a custom UI? (Pinco's?)

Some Names

All Names only works some of the time. My macro is Alt + A and it'll show the names of some things and corpses on screen, but not others. A player ran past me before and it wouldn't show me his name, but when he came back 5 minutes later it did work. I was killing Earth Elementals and had 3 corpses around me. 2 more spawned - the names of the 3 corpses and 1 live EE would display, but not the other. It's just very random, with no logic.
This I did have happen when I first started using the EC. My All Names macro was set to trigger more than one action. Changing the macro so that All Names was the only thing controlled solved the problem.

You say your Alt + A is showing corpse names as well? Maybe try setting up separate macros for All Names and for Show Corpses?

Turn/Face, not move

Is there a way to face your character in another direction without having them take a step in that direction? Seems like this I can never stand up against a wall, etc - I always have to be 1 square away from it.
So, this functionality is in the EC, it is just more difficult to use. Kind of like the Circle of Transparency.

Just like the CoT is much smaller in the EC, so is the "facing"...area? In the CC you can have the cursor about 1 or 2 tiles away from your character, click, and your character will turn in the direction. In the EC the cursor has to be right at your characters feet. It takes a bit to get used to. For a long time I didn't realize you could "face" in the EC. - I just logged in to test this and this is wrong.

The cursor does not have to be at your toon's feet. It can still be a tile or two away. However, the speed of the right click needs to be very quick. My normal right click tap causes my character to walk every time. But, if I click like I'm in some sort of absurd clicky race, my character will turn and "face" in that direction every time.

It takes some practice. Good luck!

Is there a click speed option in the settings somewhere.......

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Agreed it take some practice to turn and face... though if you are between a wall and some object it can be a LOT more challenging in the EC to face the right way.

As for the hotbars if you set the dynamic objects to anything other than mobiles this can mess up what you see with a ctrl+shift... if that's what you are using... otherwise you need to set an actual all names button... but mobile bars are very wonky in the EC sometimes.

Even with Pinco's I have issues with hotbars not showing up at all... But I do recommend giving Pinco's UI a try. Especially if you are into Taming, Thunting or crafting.

Heskey

Visitor
Hi all, thanks for the replies. Let me address them in turn:

@Arroth, I'm using the default EC UI - no modifications. It seems to be the case that these 2 hotbars don't like being snapped to, or 'under' certain UI elements and so get thrown an inch in an opposing direction each time I log in. Oddly, one of them doesn't like being linked to another hotbar, so I've moved the main menu hotbar to the top-left of my game-screen (over my HP bar) and it stays there. I've had to move the other hotbar to the very bottom left corner of the client window, minimize, and auto-hide it... But this is no drama as I don't need to see that hotbar (it's arm/disarm/dress/undress hotkeys)

Regarding AllNames, the macro is just the AllNames action, not set to repeat. I've no control over it also showing corpse names but on testing this just now, even this is 50/50. I can see 2 llamas, a goat, 3 NPCs and lots of mongbats on my screen and only the goat is triggered by the macro's use. I've tried putting the action itself onto a hotbar and clicking it - but get the same result.

I cannot for the life of me get my character's "facing" to work as both you and MalagAste describe.

And lastly, @MalagAste, I'm referring to a macro that uses the 'AllNames' action to show the names of all mobiles on the screen - not the ctrl+shift to see the nameplates of all mobiles on screen :)

So far, I've only 'fixed' the rogue hotbar issues, and that's only because I've had to put them places I don't want them to be.

Thanks for your posts - if you have any other suggestions I'm open to hearing them.

PS. In fact now I notice, setting Overhead Text > Show Names: Approaching is also temperamental. Some names do show up as I approach them, some don't. This seems to coincide with the AllNames issues - only the names that appear on approach show up when I press AllNames. Any names that don't appear on approach, don't appear when I use AllNames. How weird?!

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Part of the "weirdness" might be due to the fact that they attempt to limit how many healthbars you can have on the screen at one time... Often I think this interferes with approaching names as well as bars of items and objects when limits are set... maybe try increasing the cache? I have no clue...

But I can tell you that in large crowds it can be nearly impossible to get the bars you want up... especially if you have normal attackables and blue's in there.