• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Endless Journey returner given 10 mil gold 1st day - What Would You Do?

Krey

Visitor
Hey friends,

I'm an endless journey account... It's been a long time since I've played UO. My first day back I organized some character's inventories... picked cotton in Moonglow... bought a horse and found out that Britain Bank is no longer the place to meet people. I went to Luna and struck up a conversation... Someone asked me if I needed gold and I told them I wouldn't know what to do with it quite yet. They proceeded to hand me 10 million in gold. So here's my question...

What would you do if you were an endless journey account with 10 million gold?

Xris

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Yep, if you're a caster buy a lrc suit and spellbook/weap. If you're melee buy a suit with Stam, lmc, regens and a weap. If you tell me what build you want to play, I (and I'm sure many others) will help you with what stats etc you need.

Sent from my XT1609 using Tapatalk

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
10m is my current limit, sorry. ;)
Check back next yr, it may go up due to our economy.
I used to give people 500k for a long time, because that was a good amount when I started doing it. Then one day I realized that because of the economy changes I probably looked like that stereotypical old man in a diner who gives people a 50 cent tip and thinks he's a good tipper. There's nothing quite like UO to make you feel old faster. I raised it to 5m.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not much for 10m these days sadly. Maybe piece together a basic suit using vendor search to mix and match some parts.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hey friends,

I'm an endless journey account... It's been a long time since I've played UO. My first day back I organized some character's inventories... picked cotton in Moonglow... bought a horse and found out that Britain Bank is no longer the place to meet people. I went to Luna and struck up a conversation... Someone asked me if I needed gold and I told them I wouldn't know what to do with it quite yet. They proceeded to hand me 10 million in gold. So here's my question...

What would you do if you were an endless journey account with 10 million gold?
Alot of negativity in this thread. People are used to end game - this is an endless journey account. You don't need 100 of millions for a good solid suit.

Here is how I'd spend it :

1 - Make sure you have a ride. If you don't have an ethy - try to pick one up as cheap as possible. Hopefully a few million if you are lucky.
2 - Check vendor search for people selling decent armor for cheap. You might be able to snag 2-3 good pieces for your particular suit with the right mods. From there figgure out what you are missing and hire a crafter to make you a couple decent pieces to complete the suit. Maybe 250k a piece. Imbuing a piece with a couple targeted resists and say LRC, LMC, Mana for a caster or Stamina, LMC, Mana for a dexer is not too difficult or expensive if you don't expect a max piece (stamina max is 8 and requires higher end ingredients - stamina 7 does not for example)
3 - Hire out a couple good weapons for a dexer or find a decent spellbook or maybe swords of prosperity (my mages carry for the -0 mage weapon) for a spellcaster
4 - Spend the rest of some 110 or 115 scrolls to build your character

From there - hunt, train, have fun, do things that help you acquire other high end look to build your $$ back up.

With imbuing and all the high end loot dropping of all kinds of mobs - it is not very hard to pull together an all 70's suit with 40 lmc, 100 lrc, +40 mana. Pretty good suit for a mage. Or an all 70's suit with 40 lmc, 40 mana, 40 stamina for a good sampire.

Honestly with 10m I can probably build a pretty respectable 115 macing sampire that can do champ spawns solo to generate more cash and scrolls I need to max out the toon.

Windarian

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Alot of negativity in this thread. People are used to end game - this is an endless journey account. You don't need 100 of millions for a good solid suit.
Agreed. I returned several months ago to an account with 11 million gold. To me, that's still a fortune. Why? Because UO is still UO without purchasing everything you want or need. You aren't going to buy a placed home on many shards and can't afford to place your own custom castle or keep...but you don't need those things. If you are on a lesser populated server like Catskills, there are plenty of places to build your own home at normal shop price. The only houses I've had difficulty finding spots for are castles and keeps but even then, I just placed a keep right outside of Britain a couple weeks ago.

There was a time when you could play UO without spending tons of money. I know because my first account was in 1998 and I don't think I ever broke $100,000. The only things I ever needed to purchase then were recall scrolls. Everyone acts like the only way to play is to have a 100% LRC suit and all these other stats but aside from newer and high level monsters, you don't need it. I was a fencer/warrior with only bandages and cure potions and was soloing daemons without all these extra stats and with a normal horse you can buy at any stables. You can still do that today. A daemon today is not much different (if at all) from the daemons I fought pure melee nearly 20 years ago. Why do you need 100% LRC? Sure, it's a nice thing to have but there are still tons of reagents just lying around in the wilderness...and not much competition to gather them either!

This game is very easy to play with little gold. While the amount of gold that people have has dramatically increased, the cost of retail goods has not. Need reagents? Gather them. Need bandages? Buy the cloth and cut it yourself. Need ore? Mine it yourself. Need boards? Go work on your lumberjack skill. This game provides everything you need. If you just want unnecesary things and for the game to be easy, that's when it starts getting expensive. Starting with 10 million?? You could survive and even thrive on that for years!

BTW...this is not to say that anyone who has or spends a lot of gold just wants everything easy or luxurious. I'm just saying that without a lot of gold, UO is still UO. In fact, I would argue that without a lot of gold, UO transforms back into the real UO that I came to love so long ago.

Last edited: