• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Email invasion vs EA

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know last time I got really ticked and chewed EA they dumped Mythic and sent UO to Broadsword... was that better? I don't know... but it didn't kill UO...
Broadsword IS Mythic 2.0. Same founder, same employees, same two games, different name.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Broadsword IS Mythic 2.0. Same founder, same employees, same two games, different name.
Speaking of Broadsword. Their website lists 20+ employees. We know 3 that work on UO. Are the rest all involved in DAOC, or are they actually planning to make something new?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Speaking of Broadsword. Their website lists 20+ employees. We know 3 that work on UO. Are the rest all involved in DAOC, or are they actually planning to make something new?
UO has Mesanna, Bleak, Kyronix, Misk, and at least one artist (though I could swear that Mesanna semi-recently said "artists" at an M&G. Though I can't imagine they only work on UO, as the volume of art released yearly isn't high enough).

DAoC has more people, including, last I bothered to check, a community person. Something UO is in desperate need of. (as in there needs to be a buffer between Mesanna and the community so things get phrased properly in both directions...)

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
UO has Mesanna, Bleak, Kyronix, Misk, and at least one artist (though I could swear that Mesanna semi-recently said "artists" at an M&G. Though I can't imagine they only work on UO, as the volume of art released yearly isn't high enough).

DAoC has more people, including, last I bothered to check, a community person. Something UO is in desperate need of. (as in there needs to be a buffer between Mesanna and the community so things get phrased properly in both directions...)
Is misstroublemaker gone ?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is misstroublemaker gone ?
Has been for years... we mourn the loss. However even she barely assumed that job... Mesanna has needed a real community person who can actually get the job done... though my guess is no one has the fortitude to do it.

First off they would have to have a VERY thick skin to wade through all the posts here on Stratics that lash out at the Team... something that none of the current team have. And I myself am quite guilty of being hard on the team .... though I will say that's more due to who I am and such and my passion for the game... but that's irrelevant... and they would also have to be somewhat tenacious and such to get Mesanna to actually TALK about and SHARE things.... because we all have seen the way she is on the numerous video's where she pretty much shushes and suppresses anything being said. Some feel she has bi-polar issues or worse... so whomever would be the liaison would have to deal with that. And I say Good luck...

And then they would have to do a good job, have perfect spelling and grammar... which in today's society is HARD to find. I've seen the writing and such coming from my Son and Daughters Generations and I thought MINE was bad! Nothing compared to theirs. Spelling what's that?!?! Good God would be spelled Gud ghod... or worse. And even with spell check! Spell check???? What's that??? And you say well see that red squiggle under what you wrote? Yes So? That means it's misspelled.... NO that just means it doesn't know that word... really doesn't know the word God??? One would think it would know Good God. Yeah stupid computers! Oi... but I digress.

Sure it would be great to have a community liaison.... but I don't see anyone jumping at that opportunity. I did offer once or twice. But likely she doesn't want to talk to me either... I know @Bleak and @Kyronix don't. Not that I blame her. But I am growing increasingly distraught.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
And then they would have to do a good job, have perfect spelling and grammar... which in today's society is HARD to find. I've seen the writing and such coming from my Son and Daughters Generations and I thought MINE was bad! Nothing compared to theirs. Spelling what's that?!?! Good God would be spelled Gud ghod... or worse. And even with spell check! Spell check???? What's that??? And you say well see that red squiggle under what you wrote? Yes So? That means it's misspelled.... NO that just means it doesn't know that word... really doesn't know the word God??? One would think it would know Good God. Yeah stupid computers! Oi... but I digress.
This is so incredibly true. It would be more acceptable if they only did it while talking to each other in casual conversations, but the younger generation writes that way for everything, at all times. Sometimes it is truly painful grading essays and writing assignments written by high school students. You would expect them to be able to write decently by that age, but nope... I'd say a good 20% of the time you have to re-read it about 3 times just to understand what they wrote. The spelling is terrible, the sentence structure is awful, and a lot of them apparently were never taught what a run on sentence is....

"The peoples went to the places where they did cool stuff and people were happi and then one got sik and then dyed and one was mad then the other one left but the rest stay and it was nice"

That's pretty much what it looks like a good portion of the time.

I just shake my head and fear for the future of society.

(Sorry for the off topic post)

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
This is so incredibly true. It would be more acceptable if they only did it while talking to each other in casual conversations, but the younger generation writes that way for everything, at all times. Sometimes it is truly painful grading essays and writing assignments written by high school students. You would expect them to be able to write decently by that age, but nope... I'd say a good 20% of the time you have to re-read it about 3 times just to understand what they wrote. The spelling is terrible, the sentence structure is awful, and a lot of them apparently were never taught what a run on sentence is....

"The peoples went to the places where they did cool stuff and people were happi and then one got sik and then dyed and one was mad then the other one left but the rest stay and it was nice"

Is not just high school... I'm in university of hawaii's system, and some of my peers are just... augh!

but back on topic -
At one time, Stratics was that liaison between the players and the devs. However, the relationship has changed between Stratics and the UO team... so needless to say that level of comfort went poof. Many cries of foul, even before Taylor got possession of Stratics, were flung around rather frequently, particularly during Mythic's ownership of UO.
I remember we (meaning the prior leadership teams of Stratics, not the current) wanted to work out a solid, business relationship with Broadsword when they came to be - but it didn't happen. Business wise, I know why it didn't: why would Broadsword pay for something that Stratics was doing for free anyway? We were hoping it would be more than just community - but site, documentation, a lot. Attempting to take that relationship into a more professional arena just wasn't in the cards - for either side. So it went poof.

I strongly believe Broadsword needs a community liaison with strong marketing abilities and business sense, and ALSO knows and plays UO. Bonnie cannot do it all, as much as she wants. I sometimes wonder how close, or how often, she's suffered burnout.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mstroublemaker was an engineer, she had nothing to do with community liaising...

The last community person we had was one UO shared with DAOC, but that was years ago now.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran

My god you could not be anymore right here!
I laughed very loudly at this: "The peoples went to the places where they did cool stuff and people were happi and then one got sik and then dyed and one was mad then the other one left but the rest stay and it was nice"

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is utter utter rubbish.

I work with people covering a huge range of generations and the younger generation have just as good a grip on diction, grammar and spelling as any other generation. They are quite capable of a well written paper with good diction and grammar. What an awful and misinformed stereotype you paint. There are people of every generation who cant spell or have appalling grammar. Its not an age thing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
This is utter utter rubbish.

I work with people covering a huge range of generations and the younger generation have just as good a grip on diction, grammar and spelling as any other generation. They are quite capable of a well written paper with good diction and grammar. What an awful and misinformed stereotype you paint. There are people of every generation who cant spell or have appalling grammar. Its not an age thing.
Really? In my age... we didn't have pocket phones... and we actually TALKED to one another not typed short hand speak across the room to one another... we wrote letters. Real Letters not just little notes on Twitter or Facebook... Where we started with things like,
Dear John,
Dear Jane,
Or
To Whom it may concern,
and ended with
Sincerely yours,
And we signed our real names... and didn't hide behind false identities so we could berate and belittle people anonymously from the comfort of our rooms... You actually had to have the balls to do it face to face.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Really? In my age... we didn't have pocket phones... and we actually TALKED to one another not typed short hand speak across the room to one another... we wrote letters. Real Letters not just little notes on Twitter or Facebook... Where we started with things like,
Dear John,
Dear Jane,
Or
To Whom it may concern,
and ended with
Sincerely yours,
And we signed our real names... and didn't hide behind false identities so we could berate and belittle people anonymously from the comfort of our rooms... You actually had to have the balls to do it face to face.
Oh the irony! Pretty much all of us are hiding behind pseudonyms on this very forum. Again, this is something that happens with all generations. Your broad brush stereotype of young people is just wrong, and frankly you sound like a Luddite..

PwnySlaystation

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dear John,
Dear Jane,
Or
To Whom it may concern,
and ended with
Sincerely yours,
I look forward to you dishing out your name/address/phone number to the next person you have a disagreement with so you can show them how "big your balls are".

I agree with above, poor grammar and spelling ranges across all generations.

PS, if you say at the beginning of a letter "to whom it may concern" you should have ended it "Yours Faithfully".

rekt.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cobb
There is 1 dev. The other 4 are different departments so to speak.
Yes DoAc has more of a work force as all in that department were Mythic. Rob Denton was the head of Mythic and DoAc was his "baby".
I did hear at a Meet that the two sides of the Broadsword group share the workload ..if this is true I for one have seen little evidence of it.
So to all of you who wish ill on the lead producer of UO... think on this..
Rumor has it she is the LAST lead producer UO will ever have..
I told you I do not trust EA as far as I can toss a full grown African elephant....
You do the math...

addenda: Don't forget the GM's and office staff do round out the numbers, but most of you who are going to the anniversary party will see this for your self.

Last edited: