• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[EM Event] Meet & Greet with Sarakan and Emile (Sunday 11th Dec)

K

Kayne

Meet & Greet with Sarakan & Emile

Date: Sunday 11th December
Time: 8PM UK/GMT

Source: Meet & Greet

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're a very persuasive man, Jack...............

No, it didn't work ;)

LeBaiton

New Player Protector
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*hears doorbell ring*

"It's the middle of the night, I wonder who that could be...... "

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Would that have been too much to ask to announce Mesanna was invited? I had been waiting for months for this (we were the only shard without the roulette), and of course I missed it since it was not announced anywhere :(

I am sorry to say that I am growing sick with our EMs complete lack of communication: They don't post on Stratics, and they don't use general chat to announce a starting event. I have been ingame the entire day and the only message we got was Mesanna saying goodbye (this is actually how I learned I missed it).

Plus they don't address any complaint made many times, such as always holding the events at the exact same time, like everybody lives in the UK and has the same schedule.

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like the man said it doesn't get announced but this Meet and Greet info has been on the Stratics forum since Monday 5th, and ALL events are pre-posted on the EMs own forum. I might miss events for R/L reasons but never because I dont know when they are going to take place.

So if a player chooses not to come and something different happens, who's fault is that?.

Also when all is said and done this is EUROPA and is entitled to cater mainly for Europeans.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like the man said it doesn't get announced but this Meet and Greet info has been on the Stratics forum since Monday 5th, and ALL events are pre-posted on the EMs own forum. I might miss events for R/L reasons but never because I dont know when they are going to take place.
Even if you are supposed to know the schedule, how would that hurt to just drop a line on general chat and/or through the Town Criers that the event is starting? Every single shard does it EXCEPT Europa. It's like they are trying to get the less people possible to come. Weird.

Also when all is said and done this is EUROPA and is entitled to cater mainly for Europeans.
There is more than one timezone in Europe. But I guess perhaps Russians should play on Oceania if they can't come for events in the middle of the night, right? (I'm not Russian btw)

And even in the UK, what about people who can never play at 8:00PM for whatever personal or professional reason? No events at all for them either? Why can't there be some events in the afternoon and some late night from time to time?

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
pretty sure a lot of people knew about mesanna coming....the normal ''meet and greet'' was packed to the bloody rafters.....LOL

Escaflowne

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Remember Wizal the EMs also have real lives, they probably hold down jobs and don't get in till whatever time then have to take care of their RL stuff and families around getting events in and then be in bed to be up early in the morning :). They probably don't have the time to stay up late night and are probably at work in the afternoon.
They host events on a variety of different days to try and accomodate most folks.

And if theres one thing thats impossible in life, its to make everyone happy. Its impossible to accomodate the needs and wants of everyone no matter how hard you try. I've learnt this first hand in UO running an RP guild.

SirZ

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But I guess perhaps Russians should play on Oceania if they can't come for events in the middle of the night, right? (I'm not Russian btw)
Oceania? No :)
Europa & DF closest to us shards. To other shards we have ping min 120ms (like Atlantic), to Oceania we have >200ms.

Moscow in GMT+4 time zone (permanent from this year, old time zone is GMT+3), 08PM UK time it's 12AM in Moscow.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[Mesanna]: hi Aron
[Aron Swordmaster]: Cant we just be friends?!
[Mesanna]: sure
[Mesanna]: but first
[Aron Swordmaster]: Im not sure I want to touch thy holy grail here
[Mesanna]: you have to fill the tickle of death
[Mesanna]: and can I have a 6
[Aron Swordmaster]: Thou art a fiend!
Lord Aron Swordmaster shakes the cup and spills the dice
The first die rolls to a stop and shows: 2
The second die stops and shows: 2
Total for this roll: 4
[Aron Swordmaster]: Noooo!
[Aron Swordmaster]: I am dead and cannot do that.
The death prize was this;

This was because the EMs were rewarded with new, black threads.

[11/12/11][20:26:51][Jack Flash]: seems mesanna has gone but wherE?
[Phineas]: *whispers thank you*
[Kay Flamborough]: probably cooking up a new threat
[cernunnos]: *whispers back yw*
[Aron Swordmaster]: She's probably gone to burn the old robes, these two rascals have worn them unchanged for years
[Miroku]: Ewww
[Kayne]: ewww
[wokhoss]: oh gawd
[Sabrianne]: omfg
[Jack Flash]: oh
[Elder EM Sarakan]: ewww
[Aurelius]: I see they still can't afford shoes though ...
[wokhoss]: ewwww
[Brynhild]: *Wrinkles nose*
So now we have the smelly threads of the dead!

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There is more than one timezone in Europe. But I guess perhaps Russians should play on Oceania if they can't come for events in the middle of the night, right? (I'm not Russian btw)

And even in the UK, what about people who can never play at 8:00PM for whatever personal or professional reason? No events at all for them either? Why can't there be some events in the afternoon and some late night from time to time?
I suspect, but do not know, that the EMS live in the UK. If they do and they work and have a normal work schedule their free time is evenings and weekends. It follows from this that it should not be necessary for them to take time off work so that they can run an event during the afternoon because this would suit a minority.

The complaint about the problems for Russians relating to event times being around midnight and then to request LATE NIGHT events is a strange one.
If one were to be held at 11pm for example not only would many local players find this unsuitable this would mean the Russians would need to stay up to 3am to attend. A weird and wonderful argument this.

It would of course benefit our American cousins but as I posted before this is EUROPA..

One should really engage gear before opening mouth.

K

Kayne

Would that have been too much to ask to announce Mesanna was invited? I had been waiting for months for this (we were the only shard without the roulette), and of course I missed it since it was not announced anywhere :(

I am sorry to say that I am growing sick with our EMs complete lack of communication: They don't post on Stratics, and they don't use general chat to announce a starting event. I have been ingame the entire day and the only message we got was Mesanna saying goodbye (this is actually how I learned I missed it).
Now as was already said this event was up here on stratics a week prior to the event itself taking place. Yes Mesanna roulette wasn't announced with it but I am of the understanding that it never is.

To your point about them never posting, I suggest you look back in some of the election threads where Emile posted. Also try checking the Europa EM board and you will find that both Sarakan and Emile have been busy posting events.
Europa EM Forum - Stratics Forums
3 Posts in around 24 hours - 2 by Sarakan and 1 by Emile.

If you want to be incredibly picky about events being posted they have 3 things posted down there that neither Mapper nor myself have actually had a chance to get posted up due to our own work and RL schedules.

Wizal the Fox

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect, but do not know, that the EMS live in the UK. If they do and they work and have a normal work schedule their free time is evenings and weekends. It follows from this that it should not be necessary for them to take time off work so that they can run an event during the afternoon because this would suit a minority.

The complaint about the problems for Russians relating to event times being around midnight and then to request LATE NIGHT events is a strange one.
If one were to be held at 11pm for example not only would many local players find this unsuitable this would mean the Russians would need to stay up to 3am to attend. A weird and wonderful argument this.

It would of course benefit our American cousins but as I posted before this is EUROPA..

One should really engage gear before opening mouth.
I used Russian time as an example to explain that not everyone was living in the UK (plus I mentioned that even in the UK not everyone was available at exactly 8pm EVERY SINGLE TIME), and asked not only for Late Night events but also for Afternoons ones, so your picky argument is completely irrelevant.

@Kayne
I'm sorry but the truth remains that you can be the entire day logged on Europa without even knowing there is an event going on. I have been invited to events on other shards and never seen anything like this. On most shards the town criers alert everyone, but on Europa events are attended by the few RP players (the only ones the EMs are interested in) and the "pro" traders (the ones they can't avoid because they attend all events on all shards no matter what, and yes they can, since that's all they do in the game). Casual players are completely out of the loop.

But you know what, you are probably the ones beeing right and I the one beeing wrong... Usually I don't care, and I've learned to completely ignore shard-specific EM event items anyway. But this time that was Mesanna coming, not some local Europa folklore...

I would truly have enjoyed and feel that I missed something for no good reason... and again no I'm not after the items... anyone can see that I have never bought any EM event item and never will...

Europa Trader

Sage
Stratics Veteran
It has always been up to the EMs if they would like to announce that Mesanna is coming, some EMs did it, some made it in a riddle and some decided not to tell at all.
When I played I said to the EMs they didnt need to announce it, because they dont like xsharders being there just for the items.

Even tho I don't play anymore I logged into ICQ and I see I had a 1½ hours heads up that mesanna was going to be coming to Europa at that evening.
So I guess some people knew, but its hard to keep those things secret in an MMO.

But if collectors want the items they can always pay the prices, its always been like that. on Europa they can always buy the items cheaper than what they pay on other shads because 100m on ATL doesnt have some value as 100m on Europa.

But gold is and will continue to be useless, Rare items will always be better to have than gold. So if anyone decides to sell, sell for high price, try rares board or demand a lot more for buyers. Some people know that in the past I bought for cheap and sold for a lot more and some people that knew that asked for more and I paid more than I normally would. Its all about knowing what items are worth or will be worth within a few weeks.

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
depends..when the turn the uo light out...someday...anything and everything will be the same value- zero

K

Kayne

I used Russian time as an example to explain that not everyone was living in the UK (plus I mentioned that even in the UK not everyone was available at exactly 8pm EVERY SINGLE TIME), and asked not only for Late Night events but also for Afternoons ones, so your picky argument is completely irrelevant.

@Kayne
I'm sorry but the truth remains that you can be the entire day logged on Europa without even knowing there is an event going on. I have been invited to events on other shards and never seen anything like this. On most shards the town criers alert everyone, but on Europa events are attended by the few RP players (the only ones the EMs are interested in) and the "pro" traders (the ones they can't avoid because they attend all events on all shards no matter what, and yes they can, since that's all they do in the game). Casual players are completely out of the loop.

But you know what, you are probably the ones beeing right and I the one beeing wrong... Usually I don't care, and I've learned to completely ignore shard-specific EM event items anyway. But this time that was Mesanna coming, not some local Europa folklore...

I would truly have enjoyed and feel that I missed something for no good reason... and again no I'm not after the items... anyone can see that I have never bought any EM event item and never will...
Casual players aren't out of the loop at all Wizal, I do understand your frustration at missing out but as a casual player myself I was there on Sunday, despite being a reporter I had no idea Mesanna was attending but I went along anyway to see what was going on.
I refuse to believe you didn't know about the event given that you frequent the boards, sure you didnt know about Mesanna but neither did a lot of others.

The 8pm timing of events is a good time for the majority. 7pm would be bad for me and I'm sure many others who work. Don't forget the EMs arent robots they have real lives, afternoons will be impossible as would late nights. I'm all for including everyone but with a population that spans Europe and Russia that isn't possible. Besides no one says its RPers only at events, I don't RP but I enjoyed the recent Election event

Bobar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
QUOTE]

I think if you read my post you will find a very good probable reason why the EMs do not hold events in the afternoon.

I also tried to illustrate that it DOES NOT MATTER whether everyone is available at the same time or not. What matters is the time the EMs THEMSELVES ARE AVAILABLE. I think the usual time of 8pm is probably the optimum time for most people, for people who work they have had time to get home and eat, For younger players who still go to school or college its not too late to be up. The EMs themselves surely fit in here somewhere. As Kayne has said no schedule will suit everyone but thats life.

As I have said before I think our EMs do a great job, I read the forums, I attend and enjoy the events and I am NOT a member of the R/P community.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*sigh* I've never met Mesanna in game - or out of it for that matter. What am I doing the night she comes to Europa? Having a night off watching TV. My timing sux.

EM Emile Layne

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry you missed it Wizal.

I would like to point out though; the event was announced well in advance both on our own website and here on Stratics.
The reason Mesanna wasn't announced specifically is simple. If we did we'd get several hundred players flooding in from other shards. That just wouldn't be manageable or fun.