• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] EM drops are changing!

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EM event drops have changed! Go read up on it. :)

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
http://stratics.com/community/threads/confirmed-powerscrolls-bug-at-a-spawn.307634/#post-2366249

Theres no mention of what the threshold is for "top attacker" tho.
If "top attacker" threshold is merely looting rights, now you can have as many characters / accounts as you have available damage the boss just enough then afk out until the boss is dead.
If "top attack" threshold is say, those included in 50 percent of total damage/healing done, then basically the 10 or 20 drops are split randomly between 1/3 of the players (assuming those 1/3 have done 50 percent of the damage/healing, which is reasonable to say currently)
If your in a party, does the damage split between each character in the party? (like could i have 10 characters in a party, 1 do enough damage to get everyone looting rights, and have 10 chances at a drop?

Still very vague. we'll see how it plays out. Now we will see how many people have how many accounts untill its figured out and the best options / odds for getting drops.

BIG question. does damage to pets (tank damage given a modifier of 22.5% (same as healing) count? or is "tank damage" only damage taken by an actual player?

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
reading back over the brief pub notes, im even more confused. it could possibly be that the formula for damage / healing was just changed slightly. or damage taken added. Without knowing what the formula was before this publish (we never did get exact numbers anywhere) theres no real way to tell.

So.... how many people are bringing over 10 characters to the next event to throw pots lol

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
reading back over the brief pub notes, im even more confused. it could possibly be that the formula for damage / healing was just changed slightly. or damage taken added. Without knowing what the formula was before this publish (we never did get exact numbers anywhere) theres no real way to tell.

So.... how many people are bringing over 10 characters to the next event to throw pots lol
If people cant get looting rights *NOW* constantly hitting the boss, what makes you think throwing pots will?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If people cant get looting rights *NOW* constantly hitting the boss, what makes you think throwing pots will?
i was really just making a joke... i guess lineman will still complain cause he cant get looting rights on his fencer lol

S_S

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does anyone else have the problem of NOT getting looting rights no matter how much damage you have done? For the past year or so, no matter how much damage, and usually it's A LOT, I do.... I get a blue corpse and says I cannot loot. I can honor a boss and have bushido, I can get a few WoD's off and still a damn blue corpse. Anyone else have this issue?

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
http://stratics.com/community/threads/confirmed-powerscrolls-bug-at-a-spawn.307634/#post-2366249

Theres no mention of what the threshold is for "top attacker" tho.
If "top attacker" threshold is merely looting rights, now you can have as many characters / accounts as you have available damage the boss just enough then afk out until the boss is dead.
If "top attack" threshold is say, those included in 50 percent of total damage/healing done, then basically the 10 or 20 drops are split randomly between 1/3 of the players (assuming those 1/3 have done 50 percent of the damage/healing, which is reasonable to say currently)
If your in a party, does the damage split between each character in the party? (like could i have 10 characters in a party, 1 do enough damage to get everyone looting rights, and have 10 chances at a drop?

Still very vague. we'll see how it plays out. Now we will see how many people have how many accounts untill its figured out and the best options / odds for getting drops.

BIG question. does damage to pets (tank damage given a modifier of 22.5% (same as healing) count? or is "tank damage" only damage taken by an actual player?
Another question, does life leech count as healing? What about hit point regen or damage eaters? Or is it only healing by aids or spells that counts?

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
This is going to be a good discussion :)

I popped in on the Atlantic Event last week and actually it seemed things ran fairly well with little drama. I was happy to see that.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Another question, does life leech count as healing? What about hit point regen or damage eaters? Or is it only healing by aids or spells that counts?
I've wondered this as well. what about spirit speak? i really wish the numbers for all this stuff were posted somewhere. i think thats part of poeples frustration. now we have 3 numbers of values given to those in the "top attacker list" but no exact explanation of what contributes to those numbers. id love to see a thorough explanation somewhere, like we have on uoguide for combat / healing / swing speed calculations.

lineman

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jan 2011
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i was really just making a joke... i guess lineman will still complain cause he cant get looting rights on his fencer lol
Never said I couldn't get looting rights. These are great changes. Looks like they adjusted looting rights calculator and drops will be random on looting rights. Its great that UO is starting to listen to what the majority want. I have a feeling that people may start reactivating some of there accounts in the future.

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Changes? Those are slight adjustments (its still the current system) unless im completely blind and missing the "changes" and the post is about powerscrolls... *Shrug*

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Never said I couldn't get looting rights. These are great changes. Looks like they adjusted looting rights calculator and drops will be random on looting rights. Its great that UO is starting to listen to what the majority want. I have a feeling that people may start reactivating some of there accounts in the future.
Lineman im not trying to troll you or anything. i agree that the event thing isnt fair and is frustrating to many players. what the changes really are i have no idea.

Just as a game tho, if everything is "fair" or "random" like everyone, noob or vet, 120 or GM, crap gear or well tailored suit has the same chance, it just doesnt promote advancement, wanting to do "better" in terms of playing a character, making and upgrading gear, tailoring a template to a specific scenerio.

I'm not saying events are meant to be the place for this type of goal, but for the overall game you NEED to have a reason to advance. Right now in UO theres nothing that gives a sufficient, tangible reward compared to character preparation. The arty drop rate isnt really worth it. a basic pvm template can solo or 2 man most things in the game without much skill. and anyone who farms bosses for a 1 percent chance at a 30 - 100 mil drop is crazy or bored. I do peerless just like anyone else, but not with the goal of getting something out of it. mostly just for a fun fight.

PVP is another story. The possibilites are endless and you can Always have room to upgrade and for improvement. But the only reward is bragging rights over a bunch of immature loudmouths. So while its fun to test the limits of your skill at gameplay, gear combos, and template building, theres still no tangible reward. after 15 years theres only so much desire for bragging rights.

So what im saying is, yes if the change is to make drops random the majority will be happy, but there also won't be an incentive to learn to play a character well, and to learn about gear and template combos, which i dont think is a good thing for the game. I think working towards a goal, making yourself and your character better in order to achieve something is where the game should be going. Not some lack luster half effort that rewards everyone for doing the bare minimum.

Blue Fly

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I wonder what effect if any being in a party might have to get a drop?

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Changes? Those are slight adjustments (its still the current system) unless im completely blind and missing the "changes" and the post is about powerscrolls... *Shrug*
I hope I am right here, currently if say 40 people got looting rights to main boss only the top 10 (if there were ten drops) damagers would get the drop. I think the new system would be that everyone who got looting rights would have a random chance at the drop.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't understand how anyone doesn't understand the drop changes.

EVERYTHING IS THE SAME, except instead of drops going to the top whatever #, it is now random. You still are going to have to do as much as possible to be on the list of possible recipients.

Remember: When the Exodus events first happened, it was "bugged" where a newbie doing 1 magic arrow got a scroll. After the first day it was fixed where you needed to hit an unspecified threshold of damage/healing/tanking/whatever in order to be on the list to recieve a scroll. This is the same as how "everyone" drops work and why some people dont get them. You just didnt do enough.

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Does anyone understand thresholds? Nothing has changed beside the fact that instead of the top 10 attackers all getting a drop, it might have added another 5 in there for a roll. If you have 100 people that all fight a boss with 100hp and 10 of the 100 all do equal amounts of 5 damage totaling 50hp of damage and the other 90 do the other 50hp of damage the 10 who hit the 50% threshold will be in the running for the roll. Of the other 90 people who didn't hit that threshold they have a chance to get into the 25% of either tank or healing...But quess what...the people doing top damage are now also going to be part of the tanking and healing roll as well! I have a feeling this system will be put to bed very quickly because it actually favors top damage even more. Think of the stomp affect that does 70-100dmg and one of the top attackers heals back the 70-100hp along with whomever else survives. He/she is just increasing his chances at the roll. Sorry Lineman...you still lose

Aiden O'Connor

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Oh, and nowhere does it say anything about looting rights! You can get looting rights but still not qualify in the 3 fields for the roll...

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guess we will have to see how it all plays out. We at least got them to make some improvements. It can be done again.

skittles1337

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Old news thanks to a leak at Broadsword. Glad Broadsword likes to inform their friends about major changes before it happens. What other perks do these collectors receive?

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know If I'm right to say this or not, with the fear of my post being bashed in...

but I like this idea setup better. It makes it to where yes, you HAVE to do a certain amount of damage and have a chance at a drop. It still favors the many who spent hours and tons of gold to revamp their suits, yes. (Which in honesty isn't a problem, they deserve it for the amount of effort they put into it.) But, it also lets room in for everyone who does deserve a drop and has worked for it.

Of course, you can't make everyone happy, and I'm sure with my lag I still won't get a drop. Which I now see is fine, because I see that the game and the people running the game are actually listening to it's players. Which in the long run, will be beneficial, something might actually be done to help the game.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I welcome changes, perhaps ill start attending EM events again. 50 some odd events and not a single drop gets a little depressing.

However, I wont be satisfied until they start releasing reports on damage done, heals done, and a participant list. If the game can calculate these things to give a drop, it can be posted on these forums.

Perhaps a thread of the all time greatest healers, dmg dealers, event participants... etc could be created. Would be great for the community to congratulate the people that take the time to do these events on a regular basis by posting their work in a thread here.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think the new system is working nice. Tonight on Napa I saw one person say it was his first event item ever and another person say it was only his third. Great job I think in the end there will be allot more people happy with the new system and you will start seeing more people attending events.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess theres two ways of looking at it.

Rewards for minimal effort is good
Rewards for minimal effort is bad

So now, it looks like the ones with the most accounts, who can create the most crap characters that do just enough damage will have the upper hand, rather than playing one carefully crafted character to the best of ones ability.

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess theres two ways of looking at it.

Rewards for minimal effort is good
Rewards for minimal effort is bad

So now, it looks like the ones with the most accounts, who can create the most crap characters that do just enough damage will have the upper hand, rather than playing one carefully crafted character to the best of ones ability.
I don't think there was any crap accounts that could have survived very long in that room tonight, let alone do enough damage to get on the random drop list. And you talk like everyone boxes accounts. Good luck trying to stay alive running a couple accounts on events like tonight. Again great job with the changes.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't think there was any crap accounts that could have survived very long in that room tonight, let alone do enough damage to get on the random drop list. And you talk like everyone boxes accounts. Good luck trying to stay alive running a couple accounts on events like tonight. Again great job with the changes.
I totally disagree. you could make an archer with 0 arties, 0 shame loot, 0 reforging, straight imbued suit with 120 archery 100 tactics 100 anatomy and probably be able to get looting rights on 3 or 4 characters.

Edit: ok maybe You couldnt stay alive lineman lol. but people good at events could hehe.

P.S. i hope your fencer gets a drop. you deserve it buddy :)

lineman

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I totally disagree. you could make an archer with 0 arties, 0 shame loot, 0 reforging, straight imbued suit with 120 archery 100 tactics 100 anatomy and probably be able to get looting rights on 3 or 4 characters.

Edit: ok maybe You couldnt stay alive lineman lol. but people good at events could hehe.

P.S. i hope your fencer gets a drop. you deserve it buddy :)
I was wondering when the first event from the the new system how long it would take some of you guys to cry. Not very long lol, not even 24 hrs. wow I should have started a poole

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was wondering when the first event from the the new system how long it would take some of you guys to cry. Not very long lol, not even 24 hrs. wow I should have started a poole
lol lineman your such a troll :p

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
In the end, greed will come into play. There is no stopping people with multiple accounts. Same as before, you couldn't stop people from just doing throwers and grieving the event just because they are there for the 100% guarantee event drop.

It all comes down to balancing out the playing field. New collectors can't afford the top of the line suit. I couldn't when I first started collecting. At least this evens out the chances so EVERYONE has the availability to receive something. And that's what we as a community want right? New collectors? Bringing more and more into the art of collecting and enjoying the roleplaying style of events.

I'd like to see someone use many accounts at a Bennu-Atlantic event. That would be a Kodak moment. ;)

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Tonight i had no problem at the event on napa with a character that had 90 hit points, 60 magery, 55 hiding and suit generously donated By a kind member of UOS. I didnt receive a drop but the event was swift and fun. I wouldnt have even thought to have come had their been no changes in the event system. I will be leveling that character up this week and plan on doing events on Napa as my RL life permits. Thank you @EM_Vereor for creating a fun event.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Tonight i had no problem at the event on napa with a character that had 90 hit points, 60 magery, 55 hiding and suit generously donated By a kind member of UOS. I didnt receive a drop but the event was swift and fun. I wouldnt have even thought to have come had their been no changes in the event system. I will be leveling that character up this week and plan on doing events on Napa as my RL life permits. Thank you @EM_Vereor for creating a fun event.
Happy to see you there! GL next yes?