• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EJ and City Governor Voting

Callise

Journeyman
Will EJ accounts be able to declare citizenship and vote (no idea if trial accounts can do this now)?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The voting would definitely be abused if they could vote. We had a guild from another server take over a city and the voters are long gone now.
But I hope the EJ accounts are able to do trade routes and use the trade deals.
No voting tho.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
We had people soliciting votes from all shards abusing UORadio of all things. Lost all respect for that outfit. Abuse of power IMO they ought to be neutral. But I guess if you are a part of it you can abuse it right?
I don't think they have to be neutral.

However, the whole governor thing is ripe with corruption. People running with no intention of doing anything or attending any meetings running for governor. Then you have those people who intentionally run just to grief someone else. Vote buying. Cross shard vote trading, and sometimes you just need that to stop griefers. Or someone with 50 accounts who just votes for themselves so no one else can ever hold the seat.

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Definitely not. Person running for governor could make many EJ accounts and vote for themselves

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Probably not. Might be fun to RP a corrupt Governor and rig an election tho! :)
Elections are already RIGGED with the 10 and 20 accounts current governors have and the amount of time they spend bringing in players from other shards to declare the towns and vote for them then handing them 1mil or more in gold. What a joke these elections are.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can tell you from many contacts in game from people who ether know of my number of accounts or find out from others bugging me to load up my people and vote for them.
Many willing to pay for each vote.. I am not purchasable!
I do not vote. Just for that reason.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Elections are already RIGGED with the 10 and 20 accounts current governors have and the amount of time they spend bringing in players from other shards to declare the towns and vote for them then handing them 1mil or more in gold. What a joke these elections are.
You need to find a better shard.

On my shard, half the cities have no governors, and the rest are unopposed when they run. My first election, I had to use a second account just to second my nomination - someone else did it for the later ones. Often, we win with 1-3 votes total cast. The idea of paying people to vote is ludicrous.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't think they have to be neutral.

However, the whole governor thing is ripe with corruption. People running with no intention of doing anything or attending any meetings running for governor. Then you have those people who intentionally run just to grief someone else. Vote buying. Cross shard vote trading, and sometimes you just need that to stop griefers. Or someone with 50 accounts who just votes for themselves so no one else can ever hold the seat.
Wouldn't piss me off so bad but the guy barely logs into game, doesn't do anything, doesn't put up a trade deal, doesn't show up to the Governors Meetings... etc... Yet holds the office... and for what??? Preventing people who might actually do something from getting the spot.

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wouldn't piss me off so bad but the guy barely logs into game, doesn't do anything, doesn't put up a trade deal, doesn't show up to the Governors Meetings... etc... Yet holds the office... and for what??? Preventing people who might actually do something from getting the spot.
iirc you can petition the crown to remove a governor that is not fulfilling his duties, if they don't go to meetings and don't interact with any of the citizens, then there is no need to let them hold office.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
During the anniversary party, it was stated that EJ accounts will NOT be able to vote.

The whole loyalty system, buffs included, should be subscriber-only.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? They can do trade deals to learn how to play the game and move around the maps.

Are the buffs that game changing? I forget to get them most days.

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I took 3 Cities as Governor on Legends. RPing trying to take over the Goverment and over throw Blackthorn.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
iirc you can petition the crown to remove a governor that is not fulfilling his duties, if they don't go to meetings and don't interact with any of the citizens, then there is no need to let them hold office.
Right which is what I told his opposition. To attend the meetings and see to it that he upholds his obligation... if not... have him removed.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It's not like many current governors didn't abuse the system in some way now.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How do you abuse it? It's not like it's difficult to attend meetings or set a Trade Deal... or run a few trade missions... or anything. Or even give someone a title if they want it. Though I'll say after giving a few most people don't want to bother coming to you every 6 months to have you give it to them again.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why? They can do trade deals to learn how to play the game and move around the maps.

Are the buffs that game changing? I forget to get them most days.
Eh, maybe. Though I'm trying not to giggle at the idea that the trade orders would be edumakashonel to "new" players. But then I don't really buy the idea that EJ is going to bring a flood of new players to a 20yo unadvertised niche game, instead of mainly be a flood of bot accounts that will set fire to the tattered economy...

Call me a skeptic. :eyes:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The double negative of your post is...confusing.

Buuuut...I'll bite. How do governors abuse the system that only gives them two "powers."

cobb

Sage
Stratics Veteran
During the anniversary party, it was stated that EJ accounts will NOT be able to vote.

I understand no voting, but EJ players should have access to the town bonus. Many EJ players coming back for pvp will want the FC1 bonus.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The double negative of your post is...confusing.

Buuuut...I'll bite. How do governors abuse the system that only gives them two "powers."
I'm insinuating that you all do the same thing you are afraid a bunch of free accounts will allow others to do already. Load up on votes easily. I know, I know, but this reason and that reason and this reason... I don't care. A lot of current governors use multiple accounts for voting already. I have no idea if you or MalagAste do, but I know others do. And what's to stop you from using EJ for the same thing? If some rando can, why can't you? It seems fine to me.

It actually even seems better. If I only want one paid account I can now compete with all the people throwing money at the game in elections if I had the desire, which I don't.

Ruppy2

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This guy always wins on my shard, and he doesn't even get the most votes!

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
This guy always wins on my shard, and he doesn't even get the most votes!
That reminds me of the Sims website a long time ago. You could put your face on the Sims. Mine looked like a Frankenstein family. You could import other people Sims.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you see our trouble...
The idea that power corrupts is true.
People want the prestiege of the title but not the work.
With power comes duty..

Zalan

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont see any power behind the Governor seats, besides the buffs. Once a month or however offen you have meetings you make up a little story to report to Blackthorn.

Depending on the shard you play on there is a lack of intrest in Governor program. I took 3 spots on Legends and there is still vacancy.