• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Effect of pet mana regen above 30

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With peacemaking mastery you can raise MR on a pet to 52. For players, raising MR above 30 makes no sense since there is very little actual effect. Is it the same for pets?

Donavon

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Good evening Rail, shot.. when we check it about 8 months ago... we found no real cap in the mana regen of pets..just as high as your can get it.. it was the same for HP and stam regen ..that's why they limited the mount of HP regen consume damage gave pets.. It can be very sexy to stack bard mastery buffs on a tamer group.. We might need to check and make sure there has been no changes since then.. just to be sure though..as the system is always changing.. hope this helps.. if ya have anymore questions feel free to post..if anyone else has tested this alittle more currently your data is very welcomed as well. =^-^-

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you Don. I was trying this as a training aid. If you have 2 accounts, you can have your pet start fighting you preferred training mob. Your bard on the second account first discords the pet, then groups the tamer, and then starts the piece mastery. So you get a benefit of discord and increased mana regen for specials.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Works great for all the things on the screen. Makes doing a 1 slot pet at the mage really easy.

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
MR over 30 makes no difference on pets. The same formula that applies to players will apply to pets. The Mana Regen formula is very complex and can be found below (remember your order of operations). FYI, pets are considered to have med armor for the purpose of the formula:

Code:
Mana Regen Per Second = 0.2 + (Focus/200) + (1 or 1.1 if Meditation >= 100) * (Meditation*3/400 + Int/400) * (0 for Non-Med, 1 for Med Armor, 2 if Active Med) + ((Meditation/2 + Focus/4) * 1 / 90 * 0.65 + 2.35) * (sqrt(MR from Items) - 1) + 1/10.
Note: The intensity from SQRT(MR) is capped at 5.5 (30MR).

This formula was publicly disclosed by a UO Dev back in 2009 and does not appear to have been modified since then: Mana regen formula?

I have been working to test the mana regeneration of all varieties of pets to prove this formula (and disprove the rumor that certain pets have higher base mana regeneration). That full list is forthcoming, but in the meantime here are some preliminary results on testing overcapped MR on a couple pets:

The top 2 rows are the same pet, tested with Bard Masteries (52MR) and Without (30MR).
The bottom 3 rows are the same pet three ways. This pet has a base MR of 20. This was done to test whether Bard Masteries actually affected a pet or not (they do), but only up to 30MR.

If the above is hard to understand, here is the summary:
  • Pet 1: 115 Med/Focus, 300 Int, 30MR - Time to Regen: 1m58s
  • Pet 1: 115 Med/Focus, 300 Int, 52MR - Time to Regen: 1m58s

• Pet 2: 115 Med/Focus, 565 Int, 20 MR - Time to Regen: 1m58s
  • Pet 2: 115 Med/Focus, 565 Int, 30 MR - Time to Regen: 1m52s
  • Pet 2: 115 Med/Focus, 565 Int, 42 MR - Time to Regen: 1m52s
As you can see, there is no added benefit to going over 30MR.

The "Estimated Time" is the time based on the formula math, assuming that there is no cap of 30 on MR.
The "Stopwatch Time" is the actual timer used when watching the pet regenerate mana.

Note that there can be up to a 2s discrepancy between the "Estimated Time" and the "Stopwatch Time", this is due to the human element (I am manually loring the pet, telling it to follow, and starting a stopwatch at the same time), the delay in the lore page appearing, and when the next mana tick occurs. I consider this 2s to be a valid variance, as it has occurred on all pets tested.

Also as a side note, there is no difference in going over 30MR on players either. Some people claim that MR over 30 has an effect, but it's just diminished, however testing my character's mana regeneration with 30MR vs 59MR (lich form and bard masteries), they both clocked in with a regen time of 1:02. So math and testing can disprove that rumor as well.

Last edited:

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have been working to test the mana regeneration of all varieties of pets to prove this formula (and disprove the rumor that certain pets have higher base mana regeneration).
Thank you for the detailed answer and for the data. I was one of the people who was fairly sure that some pets are better than others in MR department, so I had to go and test myself. And, yes, you are right. I tested three pets with 30MR and 370 Int and their time to regenerate 500 mana was within my margin of error.

Last edited:

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Thank you for the detailed answer and for the date. I was one of the people who was fairly sure that some pets are better than others in MR department, so I had to go and test myself. And, yes, you are right. I tested three pets with 30MR and 370 Int and their time to regenerate 500 mana was within my margin of error.
I think where the misinformation comes from is how pets choose to use their abilities. Certain specs will mana dump a lot faster than others (Necromage is one). Some specs are very light on mana usage (Bushido is one). It also depends on the pets innate abilities and how they use them. I know @Khaelor has been doing tests on how pets use abilities and we are pretty sure that is where the "faster mana regen" myth came from.

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I think where the misinformation comes from is how pets choose to use their abilities. Certain specs will mana dump a lot faster than others (Chiv and Necromage are 2 examples). Some specs are very light on mana usage (Bushido is one). It also depends on the pets innate abilities and how they use them. I know @Khaelor has been doing tests on how pets use abilities and we are pretty sure that is where the "faster mana regen" myth came from.
Not to mention the pets people tend to think of as "Fast regen" pets are often ones who come with naturally high int before any added training.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So if mana regen is capped at 30. Which It prob is, all pets regen slow IMO.

Why are we telling players to put INT on a pet that has 30 mana regen? :)

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

That's a very good point. I recall people were posting test results for the effects of Int on MR, and there was a difference. Now the million dollar question is - were those tests done with no MR or MR of 30. Because it may turn out that Int is a worthless stat if you have points for MR. Or it could be that Int contribution to MR is not subject to the same cap.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whatever the findings uncover, I will still put MR to 30 on all pets. Will also put more Int on things with points to spare.

I really meant to say, this should end the debate on INT vs STR. Put the regen to 30 and put the STR to 700. Proven effective by the math above.
I fully agree with you, for now. But you never know if they decide to make caster pets better on pub 101 and add SDI to Int. And then you will feel pretty silly with that Int 370 magery Nightmare :D

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Ya intelligence making spells do more damage....

Everyone will have a Serpentine Dragon then. At least they don't flap.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

The MR stat is capped at 30. This can be achieved by putting 30 into MR when training, or by using bard masteries to reach 30.

A pet's total Mana Regeneration is affected by MR, Intelligence, Focus, and Meditation.

A Pet with 115 Med/Focus, 30 MR, 125 Int will Regenerate 210 mana per minute.
A Pet with 115 Med/Focus, 30 MR, 370 Int will Regenerate 250 mana per minute.
A Pet with 115 Med/Focus, 30 MR, 700 Int will Regenerate 304 mana per minute.

The 30 "MR" cap doesn't affect mana regeneration from other sources.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED

Mana Regen Attribute and Mana Regeneration are two different things (the original developers made a poor naming choice there). Perhaps it would be easier for you if we refered to them as:

Mana Regeneration (attribute) and Mana Recovery Rate

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I dont have a spread sheet but I always put on the highest focus and mediation I could on my pets along with MR 30. And put Int to 370 when points allowed it.

:cheerleader: YAY ME!

Glad to know those matter. (Even tho I could tell.)

But yall were answering the specific barb mastery question that was posed. You answered it very well.

Sorry to bring in Intelligence.

This part got me worried:

MR over 30 makes no difference on pets.
Thought we were going to have to have debates on what to set MR to if you had XXX scrolls and XXX int.

Thanks

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yeah, i had tested this myself a few days ago on TC. At first i tested it on the 6xLeg Bard template that i was thinking of doing, and discovered that there was absolutely no difference between 50 MR (Gear+Resilience) or 63 MR (Gear+Resilience+Lich Form). Then discovered that above 30 MR on char was a waste, it made absolutely no difference above 30 MR. Then tested running Resilience on a pet that already had 30 MR, and saw no difference. Which kind of defeats a big reason that i wanted to make a 6xLeg Bard for.
While you can't buff a pet's mana regeneration rate with Resilience if it already has 30 MR, you can slightly buff it with Bless (if you have Eval). Bless will raise the pet's INT, which will slightly raise it's mana regeneration rate. If i remember correctly, you can also use a nearby Shadow Wisp necro familiar to occasionally give Mana to your pet if the tamer is negative Karma.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But, the other parts of the bard skills do work until they reach caps.

Discord the mage and peace mastery plus consume and you can get a low pet leveled faster.

Also the combat mysteries work.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
. Bless will raise the pet's INT, which will slightly raise it's mana regeneration rate.
We still use a "bard bot" for some things.

Also don't forget, Tasty Treats for a 5% stat increase, works nicely on strength too.

And if you really want to try to mix/max, and have some time on your hands, the tier quests from Zosilem the Alchemist, in Ter Mur:

Deliciously Tasty Treat, 10% in stats for 10 minutes
Irresistibly Tasty Treat, 15% in stats and 10% in damage for 10 minutes

On my wyrm with a 120 eval and tasty treat he gets about 13 more mana per minute (but 142 more strength also)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We still use a "bard bot" for some things.

Also don't forget, Tasty Treats for a 5% stat increase, works nicely on strength too.

And if you really want to try to mix/max, and have some time on your hands, the tier quests from Zosilem the Alchemist, in Ter Mur:

Deliciously Tasty Treat, 10% in stats for 10 minutes
Irresistibly Tasty Treat, 15% in stats and 10% in damage for 10 minutes

On my wyrm with a 120 eval and tasty treat he gets about 13 more mana per minute (but 142 more strength also)
Yep. I've done Zosilem's Tier Quest on Napa and can get Irresistibly Tasty Treats there, but haven't finished doing it on Atlantic yet. Gotta do that now since they've fixed the Iron Beetle spawns.

But, the other parts of the bard skills do work until they reach caps.

Discord the mage and peace mastery plus consume and you can get a low pet leveled faster.

Also the combat mysteries work.
I use either Allosaurus or Dread Pirates for leveling pets, don't have to deal with a crowd then on Atlantic.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Here is why I like the piece bard mastery. Pet has resists and 20 5 30 regens. But its on my storage tamer. He does not have consume. The archer bard makes it to where I can post and kill the mage to get more %.

upload_2018-6-24_13-42-37.png

I dont care about MR at this time. Mage dead gotta get ready for next.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Here is why I like the piece bard mastery. Pet has resists and 20 5 30 regens. But its on my storage tamer. He does not have consume. The archer bard makes it to where I can post and kill the mage to get more %.

View attachment 83310

I dont care about MR at this time. Mage dead gotta get ready for next.
That is sweet! So you get these massive regens with legendary peace and music and Lev III bard mastery? So if bard skills are not 120 then the regens are lower? Thanks in advance..

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Its not easy getting 7 skills to what I want. So I have these Real and With + skill items

Im only real 120 in 1 skill. I would have more regens with 120. But those extra HP regen helps. (the pet has its own regens the bard adds to them)

upload_2018-6-24_14-57-25.png

All bard masteries are level III no books for those. They were first.