• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

edit my title?

• Thread starter Jasonleebeck
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
J

Jasonleebeck

hi, sorta off topic. i wanted to edit the title of a thread i made, so i go hit the edit button, change it to what i want, and hit continue. to my surprise, my title has not changed! when i look at the actual thread, the title has changed there, but not in the list of threads. the change is significant enough (imo) that a change is necessary, but since the title isn't changing after the edit, it leaves viewers under the wrong impression, sorta like false advertising.

lil help plz & thnk you

C

Connor_Graham

If anyone besides yourself has replied to the thread you can't change the title. It can only be changed prior to anyone posting.

J

Jasonleebeck

so i'm pretty much stuck with what i've got and/or left with making a new thread eh? ...figures. tyvm for your fast reply.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I changed a title here one time..... right click in the subject line (not going into the thread) and you can edit it there...... least, that's what worked before.... and I think there are instructions around here somewhere for it

'course, things change :D

deadite

Sage
It's My Birthday
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If anyone besides yourself has replied to the thread you can't change the title. It can only be changed prior to anyone posting.
Really? I remember JC changing the title of his thread about the fansite policy shenanigans several times...

Could it be a "rank" thing?

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please try this FAQ entry:
(I do not think this made it yet into our public FAQ, will look into it)

How to Edit a Subject/Title

There is a way any user can edit just the subject line of their own post (for this how to, we are dealing with the Original Post/Thread Starter in a thread) on the forum thread listing without entering into a thread. Doing it this way will ensure your posts Internal Subject line matches the one displayed in the Forum Thread Listing.
  1. First, go into your Control Panel, then on the left menu select "Edit Options".
  2. In the options page, scroll all the way to the bottom to the last section, "Miscellaneous Options". In the first option there, "Message Editor Interface" select the drop down menu choice of "Enhanced Interface - Full WYSIWYG Editing" - then click the "Save Changes" button on the bottom.
  3. With that enabled, go to the forum with the thread of yours that you want to edit the subject line of. (Do not enter into the thread.)
  4. While looking at the subject of the thread in the forum, double left click just to the right (where the text ends) of the subject text (not the text itself, that will just open the thread) and it should turn the subject field into a text box. Fix the subject line and press Enter or single left click anywhere on the page (not a hyperlink) to save the changes.
With this, you should be able to edit your own subject lines as they appear on the forum thread listing. Editing this way should also edit the internal Title as well.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ahhhh :) nice to know the old-timers thing hasn't completely entrenched itself ;)

J

Jasonleebeck

I don't know what the problem is, I've tried all the solutions in here, including switching my browser to IE from Firefox. Thanks everyone for your efforts, I'll just go ahead and make the new post.

Orvago

Stratics' Finest
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Unfortunately Orvago, that did not work, I'm assuming that may have worked for the old forums before the loss. Here's the thread Sheridan = http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=95934 .
Actually, this is very new with the new forums. In fact, I just used this method to fix your title for you.

What versions of IE and FF were/are you using?

If anyone else ever has any problems fixing their own title, please either Private Message a Moderator on the Forum (shown at the bottom right on the forum thread list page) or send an email to [email protected]
• Please include a link to the thread that needs fixed when contacting us.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Orvago, I think that the Advanced method only works to change the title, for certain levels of permissions/user groups - I ran into this in the early days of the new forums, when I was trying to edit stickies' titles on Players Center as a Mod.

Try testing it with an account that only has standard posting privs.

As for the poster clicking on the name on the forum level, just how small is the spot you have to target to do it? I've had some attempts take 20-30 times to hit the right spot (half the misses resulting in opening the message)