• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC not working after Windows Crash

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
no something is wrong with EC
as said thats the only thing which is not working.

well i guess there are other clients to use lol

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Stop when fixed:

1. Delete the Anti virus programs and try to run UO.

2. Buy an SSD drive and install UO on it.

3. Give that PC to a family member and get a new one.

I don't have patience with PCs. They only have to do 2 things for me. If they cant, they gone.
1. running PC without any antivirus aint gonna happen i rather dont play uo

2. i only run ssd and m.2

3. no i wont give a 3 grand pc to a family member and buy another one -> i rather quit UO

:)

@MalagAste
my EC was running fine for the last year or so till the latest patch from BS

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Your antivirus program thinks the EC is a virus. Can't disprove that until it is gone. Your computer does not get a virus from sitting idle or running UO.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
well problem not solved

running EC for not even 5 min, PC crash same story
Sad to hear this. DID YOU TRY WHAT MSECHO SAID THO? I would try that also, its a simple fix, just rename that directory to a nonsense name and see what happens. She and another 1-2 people had the same issues with EC in the past. I think their posts are a few years old.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
1. running PC without any antivirus aint gonna happen i rather dont play uo

2. i only run ssd and m.2

3. no i wont give a 3 grand pc to a family member and buy another one -> i rather quit UO

:)

@MalagAste
my EC was running fine for the last year or so till the latest patch from BS
I still strongly suggest you contact your AV provider and see if they can help you.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Okay ... I recall an issue I had years ago with CC. System wasn't crashing but UO would ... a lot!

I moved the game files (account, shard, character) out of the way, removed the client, defragged the drive and reinstalled. Sounds like what's going on so far? My mistake: moving the old data files back in. Turns out I had a corrupt UO.cfg and it was crashing my game. Once I replaced it with a copy from the main game folder, all things were fine.

I don't know the file layout for EC but I gotta think there's a corrupt data file (as opposed to a game file) somewhere. And that includes character data.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Pawain
@MalagAste

that would be too simple. its not the AV as the uo exe file is ofc excluded from any threat protection

however thanks for the good recommendations

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You'd be surprised ... my av provider has fixed many an issue for me. It certainly seems as though it's having a serious issue with UO.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i moved it all out of the way
And then got the same problem. Still don't know if you actually did the file rename. If not then I guess we will not know if it would of worked as it did for me and Yadd.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
as said
@MalagAste EC is excluded from any AV actions

@MissEcho
i did more testing, yes i moved everything away and yes it was also renamed,
my current status is that it works with moved back data from my main account.

i did not had time to play much tho, lets see how it goes....

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Looks like things are working again. This is a useful thread for others that may have similar issues with EC.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
as said
@MalagAste EC is excluded from any AV actions

@MissEcho
i did more testing, yes i moved everything away and yes it was also renamed,
my current status is that it works with moved back data from my main account.

i did not had time to play much tho, lets see how it goes....
I thought I had excluded mine ... but NO it was attacking it anyway... which is why I contacted my AV provider and they fixed it for me... because obviously it was and the only way I found that out was by uninstalling the AV software and then running UO which ran fine without the AV ... just shutting off the AV software did nothing as it was still aggressively attacking UO... Uninstalling it showed that it was indeed stopping UO from working... despite me shutting it off...

I'm just saying it's worth a try.