• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EC Art Update... a quick look (now with (large) pics)...

K

Kayne

Which is okay, I have a high parry skill and an enduring metal shield of animated invulnerability and I'm not afraid to use it, unless the durability gets too low.
Oh I meant for you to use not to be attacked with :)

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which is okay, I have a high parry skill and an enduring metal shield of animated invulnerability and I'm not afraid to use it, unless the durability gets too low.
Oh I meant for you to use not to be attacked with :)
Did I mention I have an insatiable vorpal wit of piercing? And not to worry I have had it long enough now that it has been cleansed of almost all imperfections. ;)

K

Kayne

ROFL. With these new wall graphics incoming too this is starting to look good for EC

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I didn't realize they were doing housing tiles, thought it was only terrain. Will have to look later and see.
Probably the whole work will be much more visible when trees and walls will be remade...
Actually only who is playing EC for some time could notice it :)

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

For those who "don't see the changes", I just want people to know that my profession involves my ability to notice subtle differences (which can mean thousands of dollars in value at times), so seeing the differences comes a bit more naturally to me, plus the fact that I ONLY play the EC for UO now, so I've been immersed in it for a decent amount of time, so even subtle changes will be noticeable.

So if you're not seeing much in the screenshots (which were admittedly thrown together fairly quickly based on what I had as screenshots from earlier for different reasons (usually UI modding reasons)), not a big deal. Most of the terrain improvement is mianly noticeable when actually playing and doesn;t really come through in a screenshot.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On the subject of Saphireena

can we please NOT HAVE a higher resolution version of 2D art?

uber high-rez uber-low-poly art = ********.

Keep workin on the EC. EC style. higher polycount = higher production value = higher sales.

Ignore the 'my 486 wont handle EC' crowd. Please let UO move forward, evolve, and get new customers. Everyone has their own "opinion" about which client they "prefer".. but one thing that is NOT opinion, is that 2D CANNOT last, because 2D = NO NEW PLAYERS. NOBODY is going to pick up UO based on that art.

Oubviously art doesn't make a game, but todays marketplace is somewhat competitive and 2d simply is NOT competitive.

That is NOT an opinion. That is a FACT.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Take a look at the wall sections... while they are in the style of the 2d client, they have a LOT more detail as well as higher res to work with. So we WON'T be having uber high-rez uber-low-poly art as you put it.

Trust me, there are a LOT of KR graphics that I still miss (specifically as shown in this thread the wooden floor tiles on my patio), but based on what Grimm has told us in the earlier thread on the issue, I think the art team is on the right track... it's just taken us (IMO) far too long to get here. I'm glad we're at this point though, and look forward to seeing the results and I hope I like them.

Elric_Soban

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I logged into TC and I couldnt tell much of a difference.. When i zoomed all the way in, i didnt see any pixelation.. but personally, i play at normal zoom level and never zoom in anyways.

Anyway. I guess im just depressed because I thought Kingdom Reborn looked spectacular.. then they felt the need to downgrade the graphics by about 15 years into the current EC.

Now, in my opinion, the EC > CC.. for sure.

I've been playing Ulima Online for 12-13 years.. oubviously most of which has been CC. Since KR, i was 50/50/ Since actual stygian abyss client, ive been exclusive EC. Never looking back. I cannot, and WILL not play UO in CC again. im a permanent EC convert.

I just hope they plan on keeping things improved and competititve. I don't think its fair to the long-time die-hards to let an otherwise epic game crumble on account of a non-evolving client.

Gamers these days expect production value, which UO has NONE of. What makes it worse is the whining minority on Stratics whom are determined to keep UO in the stone age with their ******** CC.

Anyway. W/E. The situation seriously makes me sad. Ultima Online deserves better than that.

Potgut

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I feel like the Enhanced Client has finally got a good foundation for UO to evolve, build, and progress on. That is, I can now finally sense good potential and direction on the EC and for UO's future; unlike KR which was a messy train wreck from the very beginning. I wish I could play the CC with the EC terrain because it's that cool; but while it has a long ways to go, I now like the direction of where all this could progress into.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Gotta say one thing about KR... whether you loved it or hated it, I don't think anyone was neutral about it :p

TheGrimmOmen

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Got home, got patched up, and taking a quick run around, and yes, there IS quite a bit of difference.

The terrain is now silky smooth regardless of zoom level and while item plant, and mobile artwork still pixelates as you zoom in, the level of distortion, at least on my system is NOTICEABLY lessened.

Great work Grimm and team!

Did you guys "cut" the grass again? It seems a bit more flat than it used to though. I'll freely admit to missing KR's more wild/varied look to the grassland terrain, so I might just be remembering it a little differently... but again looking at EC screenshots from earlier and the client, looks like there WAS a bit of a tweak to it.
Thanks for the kudos, Dermott!!

-Grimm

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My own art-related pet peeve remains untouched but I'm trying not to complain in context. Some of the monster art in EC makes me want to die. I don't take my Hiryus out of the stable any more, they look too horrible. And I can't tell my rough-skinned brown dragons from my smooth-skinned red ones, they are all a nasty looking pink color in EC. Definitely prefer the 2d colors and textures on dragons, and am real close to preferring the 2d models as well, despite the unnatural carriage of the wings.
It's not just you. I want to cry everytime I see my Hiryu as well.... I refuse to look at it much... it's hideously ugly.

And I miss the different dragons too... and I HATE that my dragon has been shrunk.... He's so tiny now.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, I didn't notice the new art until I went into Wind, when the changed colour scheme was immediately apparent. I'm not sure I feel it's an improvement as such; it's visually easier to path find through, mostly, but it makes it look like you're running on Sand everywhere, which I personally find jarring.

However there's a clear problem with one set of tiles in particular; look to the daemon's right wing here, the new texture makes it look like there's a solid wall there, as some of the rocks remain in solid grey tones.

Having hunted often there myself, I know where the path goes (and the radar shows it correctly too) but the visual clues are horribly messy; over to the far right there are two other areas that look like they'd be possibly blocked too.

P

pgib

Well, i am one of those who didn't see the difference (at first sight because in fact there are places where the change is more noticeable, like the tomb of kings path to abyss), but being this just the first part of the upgrade i think we have to wait for everything to be in place before to start complaining.

You don't need to be an artist to understand that to appreciate a picture you have to wait for it to be finished.

O

olduofan

Well, I didn't notice the new art until I went into Wind, when the changed colour scheme was immediately apparent. I'm not sure I feel it's an improvement as such; it's visually easier to path find through, mostly, but it makes it look like you're running on Sand everywhere, which I personally find jarring.

However there's a clear problem with one set of tiles in particular; look to the daemon's right wing here, the new texture makes it look like there's a solid wall there, as some of the rocks remain in solid grey tones.

Having hunted often there myself, I know where the path goes (and the radar shows it correctly too) but the visual clues are horribly messy; over to the far right there are two other areas that look like they'd be possibly blocked too.
that looks a million times better than that blue hued crap hope they redo some of the mobs as well

C

Cloak&Dagger

Well, i am one of those who didn't see the difference (at first sight because in fact there are places where the change is more noticeable, like the tomb of kings path to abyss), but being this just the first part of the upgrade i think we have to wait for everything to be in place before to start complaining.

You don't need to be an artist to understand that to appreciate a picture you have to wait for it to be finished.

This is not the only thing, some people simply will not be able to tell the difference.

Something like 40% of the population can not tell the difference between sd and hd video. Somewhere in the range of 75% of the population can not tell the difference between 60fps and 240fps. So it very well might be some people will simply not notice, even more so since the differences are subtle, and they are mostly to deal with pixelation when zooming.

P

pgib

Well, if you're trying to tell me that this art update is designed so that only the eagle-eyed players will notice it then i'm gonna start whining too :D

K

Kayne

Cloak‡2038096 said:
This is not the only thing, some people simply will not be able to tell the difference.

Something like 40% of the population can not tell the difference between sd and hd video. Somewhere in the range of 75% of the population can not tell the difference between 60fps and 240fps. So it very well might be some people will simply not notice, even more so since the differences are subtle, and they are mostly to deal with pixelation when zooming.
80% of all statistics are also made up - FACT