• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tech Help] EC and Windowed mode

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I am trying to move to the EC, but it simply doesn't run properly on windowed mode on my rig.
All the gump buttons have their click area offset by a bunch of pixels down, and the program window doesn't clip at the Windows start bar, as you can see in the following screenshots:

I am running Windows 7 64 bit
My system specifications follows at the link below, generated by piriform speccy:
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/PzT8wat7Vifemt46Jk7DzqG

I am running the latest ATI drivers and running DirectX 11.
My screen resolution is 1280x800 (WXGA, 16:10)
I've tried to edit the EC config files to change it's resolution so it would fit properly within my resolution, but the start bar bleeding problem as seen above persists.

These problems don't happen when I am running it in fullscreen, but playing in fullscreen isn't an option for me.

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes, but usually it cuts at Window task bar, instead of bleeding under it.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Click the middle Windows button in the top right. That should resize it to fit within the confines of the taskbar at the bottom.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
That was the first time I tried when I started the EC. It stays that way.
And since it's bleeding under the Wndows taskbar, the EC quick bar is under the taskbar, and thus inaccessible.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That was the first time I tried when I started the EC. It stays that way.
And since it's bleeding under the Wndows taskbar, the EC quick bar is under the taskbar, and thus inaccessible.
just maximize the window with the [] button on the top or double click the title bar

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
As I just said, the window won't maximize by clicking that button, double clicking the title bar, using the shortcut key windows + up. Any time I do that, it simple positions the mouse cursor at the middle of the screen and goes back to that situation.
I even tried changing the usersettings.xml file, changing the following:
<Windowed width="1280" height="800" />
to
<Windowed width="1280" height="700" />

And it simply ignores that change.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
in my UserSettings.xml file I have:
<Graphics>
<Mode window_frame="false" fullscreen="false" />
<FullScreen width="1280" height="1024" />
<Windowed width="1278" height="1022" />

windowed is slightly less than full screen. I have my task bar on a 2nd monitor, so that works for me. Try setting your windowed height to something like 790? Can always change it back if it doesn't help :D

oops, sorry. You posted while I was checking that.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Yes. :(
I will try reinstalling the video driver to see if anything will change.

I really want to move to the EC, but this problem and the UI buttons problem (clickable area is always several pixels down from the button image) make it unplayable for me. :(

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I play with window frame off, I don't know if that will make any difference, but it's worth trying maybe?
It makes a phenomenal difference to performance for me, no idea why.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Updating the driver didn't do the trick, but changing the resolution to 1280x768 did. *sigh*
It seems that the EC can't do 16:10.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Although I dislike the fact that I have to change the resolution to play it, I am too glad that I've found the work around.
Because... wow... the EC is parsecs away from the CC when it comes to interface functionality.
Everything is so much simpler and more intuitive.

I don't give a dime about graphics, but usability changes everything. I will no longer use the CC to play UO. It makes no sense to keep using it, even though I like it's graphics better for nostalgic values, since I have something that makes playing easier.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:D wait till you try Pinco's. One of my favourite features is the ability to scale all gumps. You can have all your hot bars different sizes, the paper doll bigger or smaller, so many other features I couldn't begin to list.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Although I dislike the fact that I have to change the resolution to play it, I am too glad that I've found the work around.
Because... wow... the EC is parsecs away from the CC when it comes to interface functionality.
Everything is so much simpler and more intuitive.

I don't give a dime about graphics, but usability changes everything. I will no longer use the CC to play UO. It makes no sense to keep using it, even though I like it's graphics better for nostalgic values, since I have something that makes playing easier.
Hands out another cookie :)