• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Earthquake Screen Shaking Makes Game Unplayable

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tested out the Enhanced Client at an Atlantic EM event today. Everything went fine, except for one client crash.

The major issue was Earthquake causing the screen to shake. It is annoying enough when one person casts it. But up to a dozen people were casting at some points and my screen was bouncing all over the place constantly. I was starting to feel motion sick even though I have a high tolerance against it.

Even if there is an option to disable it, which I failed to locate after looking 3 separate times, there is no way this can remain as is. Either it needs to be removed completely or the shaking be toned down to a fraction of what it is now.

I'll have some video of it later.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • I AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

seriously. It sucks baaaad.
I honestly had no idea how often mages spamed or casted EQ until i got this client.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

No argument from me, and even though I do NOT get motion sickness very easy (only time I remember having it was riding and trying to read after taking a pre-operation prep drug if that tells you just how far it has to go), I also felt the same light queasiness from other people Earthquaking (probably because of the lack of control over the shaking).

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't make me sick but I pretty much hate screen shake in any game. It's just obnoxious. An option to turn it off would be much appreciated.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I love the effect, but it's definitely way too much.
It should be toned down, and there should be an option to disable it.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I am with Gildar I like it! But maybe it could be toned down some! or option to disable!

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It can be turned off via ONE of those three effects options. I forgot which one. Set from high to medium or something. You have to set it, then shut the client and restart it to take effect.

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The problem with that is it turns off the others ! But good option!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes please, I do like it, But trying to run forward during the effect is a guessing game where you end up.

Tone it down if possible!

F

Fink

Mein Gott.. I just tried casting earthquake. wow.

That's a big shake. I was expecting something smaller and jittery. It's even worse when two people cast it! Gah!

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
It can be turned off via ONE of those three effects options. I forgot which one. Set from high to medium or something. You have to set it, then shut the client and restart it to take effect.
The problem with that is it turns off the others ! But good option!
You can turn it off by setting the particle filter to "None" but the problem is that it turns off all the particle spell effects, and I actually find the effects provide useful information when you are in combat. So an option to turn off this one effect would be much appreciated.

F

Fink

They would do well to have this as a toggle in a sub-group called Environmental Effects.. other toggles would include rain, snow, dark nights, foliage, and so on.

S

Sabbath

They would do well to have this as a toggle in a sub-group called Environmental Effects.. other toggles would include rain, snow, dark nights, foliage, and so on.
Awesome idea, Fink! Devs? DEVS! :spider:

O

Old Man of UO

The weather effects are one of my favorite things in the UO environment now. I can do without the earthquake shaking, although it hasn't bothered me so far, but I don't want to eliminate the rest. A separate on/off toggle would be great!

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Real-life aside, how else would you run during an earth quake?
You have a fair point however it is a game. *grins* When this 'effect' could possibly kill me in SA whereas in 2D I'd have been fine - I'd like it changed!

O

Old Man of UO

You have a fair point however it is a game. *grins* When this 'effect' could possibly kill me in SA whereas in 2D I'd have been fine - I'd like it changed!
A very fine point you make! Make it shake in the 2D client also!!

Well... that IS what you meant, isn't it? :D

F

Fink

The weather effects are one of my favorite things in the UO environment now. I can do without the earthquake shaking, although it hasn't bothered me so far, but I don't want to eliminate the rest. A separate on/off toggle would be great!
Absolutely.. the more toggles the better, so long as they keep them organised.

I commented on the lovely rain on my face the other day, and someone said "what rain?".. the poor soul is without weather. :sad4:

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Look at the bright side, thank goodness the mobs don't cast earthquake!
lol Oh my now that would be funny ! I could see us all wobbling around now!

seriously though I was thinking about this and it is kind of a neat addition to the spell unless you are on the receiving end ! but for it to be in the new client and not the old is really not fair! and there for it either needs put into both clients or have a on off switch! :spider:

M

maroite

I agree and whoever thought it was "kewl" to put this into the client should be strapped up in public where we can all beat them with smelly socks. :gun:

S

SDragor

I kinda like the earthquake effect, but it is way too strong.
The weather effects are fantastic too, but they're out of sync (players see them at different times), there's no snow, and the environment sounds are totally messed up.

To make it easier, I could as well say the whole client is totally messed up. And not a patch in sight.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
To make it easier, I could as well say the whole client is totally messed up. And not a patch in sight.
Well, I don't think the whole thing is messed up. There are lots of ways the enhanced client truly is an improvement over the classic client, but there are definitely some annoyances that could be fixed.

Cear Dallben Dragon

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i was using the EC at atlantic EM event last night and became so furious with the screen shaking for a solid 30 minutes, i eventually began blaring speed metal, eating paper towels and punching the ceiling.

On a side note. as for a patch in sight. the FoF indicates there is a full publish coming near the end of this month. so help me god if it doesn't have EC fix/changes.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The weather effects are fantastic too, but they're out of sync (players see them at different times), there's no snow, and the environment sounds are totally messed up . . . To make it easier, I could as well say the whole client is totally messed up. And not a patch in sight.
Weather syncing, snow, and animations for a single spell -- this means the whole client is totally messed up? Hyperbole much? :p If I rattle off a couple of minor bugs in the 2D client for which we've been promised no immediate patch, can I similarly state that 2D is an unplayable disaster?

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Once again, this is something that HAS to be dealt with. Due to the actions of a mage deciding to run up to my EXACT LOCATION and spamming Earthquake in the midst of the creatures I was fighting (and having no trouble with), I simply, having enough, dragged the renowned out of the area and into a remote location in order to break the spawn for the rest of the night.

I repeated asked them to stop, but since they would not, nor go to another location, the whole area will no longer spawn.

Petty? Certainly. Do I care? Yes, in that it ruined MY gameplay (much like having someone sit down in front of your view during a movie or at a sports game, or in this case, a little brat sibling coming in and shaking your monitor repeatedly and incessantly) in the area, so turnabout is fair play.

Edit: Now that the offended party has departed, I can kill the renowned and restart the spawn :)

F

Fink

On a side note. as for a patch in sight. the FoF indicates there is a full publish coming near the end of this month. so help me god if it doesn't have EC fix/changes.
Two turnips says it's just Hallowe'en content, like Trick or Treat, etc.

M

maroite

i was using the EC at atlantic EM event last night and became so furious with the screen shaking for a solid 30 minutes, i eventually began blaring speed metal, eating paper towels and punching the ceiling.

Your roof will fall in on you? :x lol jk

But yeah, lets hope if it is a full publish the EC got some love...

Nimuaq

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, after more than a year later, have we seen a fix for this problem?

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Well they did tone down the effect, and to be honest, I use earthquake all the time, and the effect doesn't interfere with my game play at all. I guess I just got used to it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I told them this many times. I can't play when there are 20 mages all spamming earthquake at an EM event I feel I might puke... I can't see my screen can't target anything don't have a clue what's going on... it's not neat I hate it.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Big crowds confuse me so badly I doubt if I'd notice a difference screen shake or not... :)

I also don't generally target avatars, I target the bars on the Lucitus mobiles display. Although I guess at a big event it's not always possible. I also tend to lag horribly at big events anyway. Although since the last patch I'm somewhat hopeful that might have changed.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
*clears throat* Hate to break it to you, but that would be six years ago...

Someone told me the EC came out in 2009 in general chat not long ago. I didn't believe them. I had to go look it up then come back and apologize for being a dip****. :)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The EQ screen shake effect was toned way, way down years ago. It can still be a bit annoying if its going off non-stop, but its somewhat tolerable.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't find it necessary or tolerable at all... people complain all the time about the EC giving them motion sickness.... this is just some silly thing put in the game because someone thought it was neat... but the truth is a lot of folk don't play 3D style games that have rotating camera's and such because it makes them sick.

If you've never had motion sickness that's great for you.... but 100's of people suffer from it all the time... and something as simple as a bike ride can make them ill. And IMO adding something just for a cutesy silly effect that honestly makes people not enjoy the game and makes them physically ill is well irresponsible and certainly not good for the player base... and if truly we want to move more folk from the CC to the EC and do less with the CC then improving the EC so it is more user friendly would be wise... and taking out useless motions like that would be a step in the right direction.

Masuri

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm kind of astonished this still hasn't been fixed.

My new next-door neighbor in-game has spent the better part of this past week macroing magery using the earthquake spell. Not only do I have to listen to him fizzle and fart, but several times per minute my screen shakes when he actually manages the cast, making me pretty miserable. I can't really use my home like this, and it can so easily be used for griefing. Come ON Broadsword.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Funny, I barely even notice it anymore. I'm not saying that to make little of your issue, I'm just saying, I've gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me anymore.