• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Earth Hour is near!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Dear WWF Activist,

The momentum is building for Earth Hour—8 to 9 pm, March 29, 2008—the global movement to shut off the lights for one hour to make a bold statement about climate change. More and more individuals, businesses, and even cities are planning to participate. Together, we’ll deliver a powerful message to the citizens and leaders of the world about the need for action on climate change.

Earth Hour is an opportunity for each one of us to take action, influence others and start a wave of change that alters the course of climate change. But turning off your lights is just the beginning. What can one person do in the face of a global challenge? Here are some easy tips to help you make a big impact:

Make it Happen

It’s easy and free to be part of the Earth Hour movement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read on for more details!
http://wwf.worldwildlife.org/site/MessageViewer?em_id=11361.0&amp;dlv_id=13602

T

Tanduay

"Together, we’ll deliver a powerful message"

what message? that you can sit in the dark for one hour.

sorry to say it but, this internet stunt will have as much effect as the "don't buy gas on tuesday, and send a powerful message to big oil" non-events.

things like that only make people feel good by relieving their guilt.

i just think that there are things that are more effective, like...
-write snail mail letters to your politicians (e-mails are rarely if ever read).
-recycling.
-using compact florescent bulbs. (LED are better but still cost too much)
-shutting off lights when you leave the room.
-turn down your home heating thermostat a few degrees.
-turn down your water heater setting a little.

if you really do care about Mother Earth then then get out there and really do something, just don't just sit in the dark.

G

It's not about "sitting in the dark." It is about spreading a message. Think about it. Even if only 1% of the worlds population does this, how much energy would have been saved? How much less Co2's would have been put in the air? I think the numbers would be suprising.

It's not about just doing it to feel good. It's about spreading the message that we can do something by showing what just 1 hour without lights can do.

*smiles*

Read more on the Official Site (should have linked it before), http://www.earthhour.org/

ZippyTwitch

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the 2nd poster. Its not an internet stunt. This is an offical day called Earth Day. Its talked about and advertised in the newspapers. Now my opinion on it is I think its a stupid idea. Energy isnt as big a problem as other things. Say for instance the atmosphere that we are destroying. The oil waste around the world. Hell they can generate energy from solar power or from water. Which in case most of you dont know. The earth is made up of like 90% water. Got plenty of energy sources to tap. Me im keeping my lights on tonight and prob be playing uo while others sit in the dark for an hour wondering what to do.

G

Keep in mind that Most of the Power used is a vicious circle on the environment. It takes Oil, Gas, Nuclear Material, etc. (things that pollute the atmosphere) to turn on your lights for you, unless you happen to live near the Hoover Dam or some other aquatic, wind, or solar power stations.

That's the main thing behind this "Earth Hour" to show just how much less power is used, meaning how much less fossil fuels and such are burnt and made into pollutants upon our Mother Terra Firma.

The less power we use, the less we pollute. Just things to keep in mind.

We need to act and push for our governments to use these alternative Power Methods, methods that pollute less. Which brings us to the another point "Earth Hour" is trying to make. That of Awareness so people will act and speak out.