• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA Mythic Hiring...Looks like Multi games...

• Thread starter kennykilleduo
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
K

kennykilleduo

Software Engineer I
19059 Development VA - Fairfax

Software Engineer II
19105 Development VA - Fairfax

Software Engineer III
19106 Development VA - Fairfax

<blockquote><hr>

Software Engineer I

Overview

EA Mythic (formerly Mythic Entertainment) recently celebrated its ten year anniversary as one of the most successful independent developers and publishers of massively-multiplayer online role-playing games in the world. Credited with 15 online games, including the award winning Dark Age of Camelot, EA Mythic's success is based on proprietary technology, innovative game design and exemplary customer service delivered by a talented staff of more than 170 people. Dark Age of Camelot is played in almost every country in the world, and is available in seven languages. EA Mythic has been developing Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning since acquiring the exclusive worldwide PC and console MMORPG license from Games Workshop in May 2005.

EA Mythic is seeking a highly motivated software engineer to work on our active MMO titles, Dark Age of Camelot and Ultima Online. Specifically, we are looking for a software generalist who is comfortable writing both game play and systems code. The ideal candidate would have experience in implementing and improving systems code (such as rendering, networking, memory management) and game play (such as AI and player controls).

Responsibilities:

- Design, execute, and improve a variety of systems and modules, including rendering, resource management, networking, optimization, tools, and more.
- Implement and tune game play and game mechanics
- Write technical design and software design documentation

Requirements:

- Proven C/C++ Skills
- Experience in object-oriented design and implementation.
- Experience with multithreaded processing
- Demonstrated knowledge of good software engineering practices.
- Good communication and writing skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills and debugging.
- Self-starters who can work with others in a team-oriented environment as well as independently.
- Strong math skills.

Desirable Experience:

- Experience with 3D graphics
- Experience with scripting languages such as Lua or Python
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with network games
- Experience with C#

Education:
Bachelors, Masters, or PhD in Computer Science, Math or relevant experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jobs

G

Well they try to get more people working on UO? fine with me!

G

We actually have a whole bunch of engineering positions open - thanks for the poke, I need to go post our version

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Same posted jobs, although I think we're actually looking for six people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah.. I've had so much experience with other OO languages, my mind has turned to mush in regards to C++.

Think you would take a guy who has 5 years in IT, strong SQL and Data Structure development skills, and experience with other OO's, but weak (Or at least out of practice) with C++?

Bah.. probably not.

G

Dude... why on earth WOULDN'T you apply? I can't answer your actual question, because my programming knowledge is limited to ripping off other people's Javascript and snickering at bits of UO's scripting language, but it's certainly a question worth putting to our recruiter

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Dude... why on earth WOULDN'T you apply? I can't answer your actual question, because my programming knowledge is limited to ripping off other people's Javascript and snickering at bits of UO's scripting language, but it's certainly a question worth putting to our recruiter

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, typically when they just want someone with OO (Object Oriented, for those who don't know) experience, they say so.

Usually when they say C++ EXPLICITLY, they mean high order, ripping-your-hair-out difficult C++, which I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with.

I haven't even had to deal with a linked list in ages. Damn .NET has made me soft.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

...as one of the most successful independent developers and publishers of massively-multiplayer online role-playing games in the world...

[/ QUOTE ]uh...not since EA bought them. They are no longer independent. They are just another ship in the fleet.

G

Don't want to live in Virginia would be a big one.

Dunno why you guys can't join the 21st Century and let the programmers telecommute.

G

I think the ten-year anniversary was celebrated while they were still independent - I'm not 100% certain, but that's how I'm reading (and remembering) that.

RaDian FlGith

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Looks more like they're trying to hire more people to split time between UO and DAoC.

Proprietary systems... Where was that mindset when the design of the KR client started happening. I honestly think KR would be in much better shape if it had been developed from the ground up, not adapted from some other game engine.

But here's hoping EA Mythic's not sluffing UO and DAoC into the same resource pool. Though, I think the days of UO's dedicated design team are swiftly fading with the "success" of the KR client.

G

<blockquote>Usually when they say C++ EXPLICITLY, they mean high order, ripping-your-hair-out difficult C++, which I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with.</blockquote>Almost akin to doing HTML in Notepad or something.

I can OOP very nicely thank ye ... without certs. Programming for 30+ years sorta allows one to jump into a moderately deep end of the pool and tread water nicely. But VA? Nah ... I can telecommute if I need to and cost of living where I am is rather less expensive than EA-land.

Sorry Jeremy.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote>Usually when they say C++ EXPLICITLY, they mean high order, ripping-your-hair-out difficult C++, which I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with.</blockquote>Almost akin to doing HTML in Notepad or something.

I can OOP very nicely thank ye ... without certs. Programming for 30+ years sorta allows one to jump into a moderately deep end of the pool and tread water nicely. But VA? Nah ... I can telecommute if I need to and cost of living where I am is rather less expensive than EA-land.

Sorry Jeremy.

[/ QUOTE ]Yep. If I could telecommute and work part-time, I'd consider it. I don't think they pay as well as I'm currently making, but game programming was always fun.

G

If you guys were looking for a "think-tank" type of person (i.e. formulate and design various game systems and present as proposals to the programmers, I'd be interested.

Unfortunately, programming isn't my art.

As it is, I'm pretty deep in a couple of unique projects of my own as some people here may well know about, and it'd have to be a "design system concept, email proposal document" type of thing.

It'd be fun to work on UO, but I haven't done any serious programming since COBOL in college.

K

kennykilleduo

To bad no CS or QA jobs or one with a little less requirements...

This type of industry would be great to learn a few new things or two.

I

imported_Lariat

If Draconi ever needs to hire someone to help with HIS work, I have a LOT of experience in his area of expertise. I LOVE to blow things up! ^^

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Well they try to get more people working on UO? fine with me!

[/ QUOTE ]
Aye

R

Redrum1

I guess i am a little behind and need to re-read the post. I could not get past the "exemplary customer service " sentance!Maybe that is the shift, they are working on that much more. ( well one can hope can't he) Just had to put a little dig in there Jeremy! Glad to see UO is hirering more peeps! Meens our little game may be around awhile longer!

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

And I'm in NY state, so Virginia would be fine by me.. It'd mean less snow than where I live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost a foot near where I live today. (Hamburg NY)

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

Almost a foot near where I live today. (Hamburg NY)

[/ QUOTE ]

Hehe.. I'm down around Albany now, but I lived in the Adirondacks all my life before I got a job down here. Montreal was a popular weekend destination.

[Edit]

Ah, what the hell.. Probably don't have much of a chance, but I sent my resume anyway. *Crosses fingers*

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, typically when they just want someone with OO (Object Oriented, for those who don't know) experience, they say so.

Usually when they say C++ EXPLICITLY, they mean high order, ripping-your-hair-out difficult C++, which I likely wouldn't be able to keep up with.

I haven't even had to deal with a linked list in ages. Damn .NET has made me soft.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't know why you don't apply either...
I am considering applying and my wife has sworn that if i actuly get the job, I'll have to move by myself, and visit on holidays

i mean the skill your worried about is stated as "Proven C/C++ Skills"

so if you have any skill in C/C++ or C/C++ based languages, and can prove it, I say apply... if not, apply anyways... A former HR rep for a big company once told me he puts requirements just higher then he needs to scare off the people that are not go-getters. He said he would rather hire people whom he would have to train, that are motivated, then to hire people with twice the requirements who lack motivation.

K

kennykilleduo

Wheres are programmers for guidance when you need umm...

Did any of the old programmer make the move??

L

Lord Zephyrus

This is my last year of high school and im gonna go to collage. I currently live in missouri. I hate it here. When i get through collage. I want to try and move wherever ea is and get a job as a gm or what ever they would do with me. I can just imagine watching the fel champ spawns completely invisible and invulnerable laughing while i work on some sort of project. Ah only 4 or 6 years to go.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

i mean the skill your worried about is stated as "Proven C/C++ Skills"

so if you have any skill in C/C++ or C/C++ based languages, and can prove it, I say apply... if not, apply anyways...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought the ability to learn or strengthen your skill in a language quickly through the understanding of fundamentals in programing trumped established strength in any one language.

I took two years of C++ programming at my college. They taught a fair bit about OO language theory and algorithm design.

C++ was just a tool, unless you really wanted to dig deep into the language itself with further studies. I opted to instead broaden my horizons through learning several languages and fields within IT. I also took several writing courses (Technical Communications is my Bachelors, IT my Masters) as language and writing always interested me, and have a use even in the IT field, where technical documentation is critical.

It leaves me in a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" situation, really. I know a lot of theory about languages and problem solving, and have just enough knowledge in specific languages to be dangerous, or rather, functional.

<blockquote><hr>

A former HR rep for a big company once told me he puts requirements just higher then he needs to scare off the people that are not go-getters. He said he would rather hire people whom he would have to train, that are motivated, then to hire people with twice the requirements who lack motivation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My current boss hired me under similar circumstances. Before I got my current job, I did know about RDB's and the SQL language, and designed THE application my last job uses still to this day for ALL of their operations, but I had never been an administrator, especially for a company with affiliates in 8 different countries. She said she chose me over the last guy they interviewed because I was nice to the gate guard. She told me they knew I was a little wet behind the ears, especially in terms of playing the politics game (I have the fortune to be a mere grunt, even as the senior DBA), but they'd rather train someone with a good attitude than higher a genius with a bad one.

I DID send in my resume.. I hope EA feels the same, and I can learn quick enough.

G

we got a few inches but had about 3 feet Sunday night. The news had us plastered all over the TV (NBC and some others)

Oswego, NY ... same place that has had 7 feet in a week (last year), and 7 feet in 24 hours (a few years back). Todays high temp was same as Anchorage, Alaska.

I

imported_Coldren

Oooo.. Right in the snow belt. Tough break. My wife's sister lives in the Syracuse area. Heard about the fun of a white out while driving on the interstate

D

DarkChronus

I'm certainly glad I'm not part of a major lake snow belt now. I grew up in the area south of Watertown, NY / North of Syracuse, NY so I know about the snow &gt;&lt;

I've gotten to the point where I hate cold weather, let alone the snow heh

*edit* and on topic... my C++ skills are rusty now as well &gt;&lt; hehe... been a couple of years. I'm sure with my experience I could pick it back up. I just have no real desire to live in VA (and I need to finish my degree first :p).

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

I took two years of C++ programming at my college. They taught a fair bit about OO language theory and algorithm design.

C++ was just a tool, unless you really wanted to dig deep into the language itself with further studies. I opted to instead broaden my horizons through learning several languages and fields within IT. I also took several writing courses (Technical Communications is my Bachelors, IT my Masters) as language and writing always interested me, and have a use even in the IT field, where technical documentation is critical.

It leaves me in a "Jack of All Trades, Master of None" situation, really. I know a lot of theory about languages and problem solving, and have just enough knowledge in specific languages to be dangerous, or rather, functional.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could only wish for a resume like that...
I self-taught myself Basic when I was 12, and QuickBasic &amp; QBaisc when I was 13. I made several text-based dungeon games, and a few graphical games, including a fishing game (very basic graphics), black jack, and a FPS style dungeon game. The last game I was working on, involved a multiplayer (via modem) dungeon game... but again the graphics were extreamy basic... but I never could figure out how to get the recieving computer to connect.

Taught myself basic HTML at 15, and at 17 I took a Turbo Pascal class in High School. At 19 I took about 1/3 of a year of HTML and C in college before dropping out.

At 20 I started programming AMX mods for Counter-Strike. The coding was in Small C using Bloodshed's DEV C++ IDE.

For 2 years, I ran 4 counter-strike server using an Admin mod I created, and a mini-game I called "Power Up MOD"...

I began working with javascript, and dabbled in C, creating small games using OpenGL... nothing amazing, just simple games like frogger, galaxia, and other classic games. All for personal entertainment.

at 24 I had all but stopped programming, re-focused my life...

at 25 I got a call from a friend looking to make a website, and asked me to learn PHP... for 9 months now I have been the sole programmer, and had to learn more advanced HTML, XML, PHP, Javascript, and MySQL. Using Dreamweaver's IDE. On the side, as a project to strengthen my PHP and MySQL, I created UO Skins.com

But aside for my web projects, I have never actuly tried to apply for a programmer any where.

P

Paris_Hilton

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah.. I've had so much experience with other OO languages, my mind has turned to mush in regards to C++.

Think you would take a guy who has 5 years in IT, strong SQL and Data Structure development skills, and experience with other OO's, but weak (Or at least out of practice) with C++?

Bah.. probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very important question IS, as a UO "player" are you mature enough to be able to keep working ON the game and playing IN the game separate?

If you get the job:

Will you give your ingame friends free gold, castles and other uber items?

Will you attempt to get people who kill you repeatedly in Fel banned?

Will you toss your "I work for EA" weight around ingame when you encounter players doing things you don't like?

I disapprove, but I play Wow now so, whatever.

G

Engineers are great.

What about a positions that develops the game? A vision. Who is responsible for looking at the package and developing its content? Who is the one to say hey insurance sucks or doesnt, lets fix it. Who decide about PvP?

How about creating a playerbase designed land (for those of you that dont want new land, your not invited) JK. A player think tank that is open for viewing. How about a position that takes a vacant water space and creates the first MMO with player design.

Hmm. Lawyers. Lawsuit and money. I bet.
So hire 25 players to form a think tank.

Time for change. Get out of the box.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in your boat lol

The extent of my C++ experience is a program I half wrote in college. Granted, I say I half wrote it because it only half worked. .NET has made me soft too and in my industry I only ever encounter RAD languages (both old and new... I support programs that are 15 yrs old as well as write new ones)

I'm not particularly interested in C development. My last C experience was traumatizing enough.

I

imported_Sarphus

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah.. probably not.

[/ QUOTE ]

A very important question IS, as a UO "player" are you mature enough to be able to keep working ON the game and playing IN the game separate?

If you get the job:

Will you toss your "I work for EA" weight around ingame when you encounter players doing things you don't like?

I disapprove, but I play Wow now so, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you value your job, you don't do stuff like that.

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
- Proven C/C++ Skills
I can prove what my C/C++ skills are... does that count as "proven C/C++ skills"?

Like the others who mentioned this, a mix in other languages has made my C/C++ a bit soft.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

- Self-starters who can work with others in a team-oriented environment as well as independently.
Check.

- Strong math skills.
Check.

Desirable Experience:

Check.

Check.

- Experience with Linux
Check.

Check.

- Experience with C#
Check.

Education:
Will be a check in the end of May.

I just need to wait 2 1/2 more years for my girlfriend to graduate so I can move to Virginia... I'm guessing the Job will be filled by then
(though hopefully another one will open up around that time... or a designer position...)

Cogniac

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Almost akin to doing HTML in Notepad or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do my C/C++/Java programming in Notepad.

I

imported_Coldren

<blockquote><hr>

- Proven C/C++ Skills
I can prove what my C/C++ skills are... does that count as "proven C/C++ skills"?

Like the others who mentioned this, a mix in other languages has made my C/C++ a bit soft.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

Check.

- Strong math skills.
Check.

Desirable Experience:

Check.

Check.

- Experience with Linux
Check.

Check.

- Experience with C#
Check.

Education:
Will be a check in the end of May.

I just need to wait 2 1/2 more years for my girlfriend to graduate so I can move to Virginia... I'm guessing the Job will be filled by then
(though hopefully another one will open up around that time... or a designer position...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Heck, too bad.. Provided you got the right personality, that job woulda been yours, methinks.

utilitron: Also looks like you have a good shot, if you chose to apply. Lots of practical experience and self taught knowledge. Hope your wife is more considerate if you get an offer

DarkChronus: Watertown, eh? My wife lived in Morrristown, near Ogdensburg, about an hour north of you
And it's a shame that .NET makes everything so dang easy - You really do get TOO used to it.

We need to have a NY gathering sometime.. NOT in NY city, of course. :p

And good luck to all who apply.. Hope SOMEONE from Stratics can get in

N

Nicland

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

...as one of the most successful independent developers and publishers of massively-multiplayer online role-playing games in the world...

[/ QUOTE ]uh...not since EA bought them. They are no longer independent. They are just another ship in the fleet. [/quot

A ship with ZERO customer service. I would guess the monkies at the national zoo could run UO better.

K

kennykilleduo

Found this one , I'm thinking this would be nice , but cost of living is crazy there , Why dont they offer these , work from home:

=================================================

Customer Support Representative

Req Name 17492
Location VA - Fairfax
Job Type Operations
Shift
Job Class Employee

Warhammer Online - Customer Support Open House!

Do you have great communication skills and a passion for gaming?
Apply for our recruiting Open House in March!

CUSTOMER SUPPORT REPRESENTATIVE
40 hours a week at $14.43/hr.
Full benefits available for Regular Full Time hires.

Candidates must be local (or willing to relocate to) our Fairfax, VA Studio, and available to start in April, 2008.
Customer Support is a 24/7 operation, so a flexible schedule with openness to night, weekend &amp; holiday shift schedules is a must.

THE POSITION:
As a Customer Service Representative reporting to the Customer Service Lead, you will be responsible for front line contact of players within Warhammer Online. You will be assisting players with character, inventory and quest issues, as well as gathering information for the QA department.

Teamwork, professional attitude and strong communication skills are key in this role. A flexible schedule (openness to night, weekend &amp; holiday shift schedules) is a must.

JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
Contacting players in a friendly, professional manner
Gathering in-game data for player, quest and monster issues
Provide accurate information for both the CS Lead and the QA department

DESIRED SKILLS:
Experience in the field of Customer Service
General knowledge of MMO Gameplay
Excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills
Good organizational skills, ability to remain focused

web page

G

<blockquote><hr>

If you get the job:

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Definately.

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely yes.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Almost akin to doing HTML in Notepad or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do my C/C++/Java programming in Notepad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use Notepad++

G

I count my toes.

Having been a band geek in school though, I never learned to count past four... so I'm still trying to total up the number of toes I have.

U

utilitron

<blockquote><hr>

I use a stone tablet.

[/ QUOTE ]

... in Binary!