Ea Land Widows Mode

• Thread starter DjMacDaddy01201
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

<blockquote><hr>

I cant even read Chat History it so small. And if I change pc resolution, it changes everything and distorts many pages that I go to. There has to be some type of compromise where I dont have to get a dang degree to fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are external devices that attach to your monitor which magnify the text on the page you are currently looking at, without raising the screen resolution......here, I'll do a little research for ya, I'm bored and feeling charitable

Here's a couple I found in just a few minutes of hitting good ole Google....it's your best friend if you let it be
:

This one is the snap on magnifer that I was talking about, but a bit pricey for me on the low end income and therefore might not work for you unless you saved up for it. However, this one while being handheld and therefore a little cumbersome unless you alternate reading with the magnifying glass with typing, is much more price-friendly even for us in the low end income scale.

So see, there are options that won't put you in bankruptcy and with the second option you could also use it to read other webpages without having to change your screen rez, AND use it to read RL books and/or directions on packages since those are written in ungodly 4 point print. If you can't read chat history I'm sure some of those are nightmarish, so the second device could be multi-purpose, not only making your life easier in TSO, but in general so justifying the expense should be much easier.

Y

YellowRose5819

I still have full screen too.and i cant get window mode to work

C

Cayenne1

SIGH.....I followed your advice and went to the free trial screen, gave it my screenname as a paying subscriber, got the subsequent email that led me to a screen that was supposed to allow me to download the EALand program, but upon entering my screenname and password, I was informed that the screenname and password was already taken (Duuuh!) and was denied access.

I sent an email to EA customer service. God only knows when I will hear from them. UGH!

This is incredibly FRUSTRATING.

M

mysticlisa516

Fine,,,EA is just determined to make this hell on everyone. First I have to buy a new VC because its necessary to play the game. Now I have to buy something to read chat on the game. I have glasses that help read books, but if I use those I have to be within 10 inches of the screen as I would hold a book. Does anyone else see a pattern going on? But hell, who am I? EA ain't gonna listen to me or anyone else that has a different opinion of their agenda.

EA is determines to edge people out of the game. And I'm NOT the only one who is angry about EA not giving us choices.

They take 2 years to do anything to the game, and then they dont even listen to what the customers want, it's only what they want. It's getting tiresome.

R

Roger Wilco

All you "we hate windows mode" whiners need to stop being so ungrateful for this wonderful improvement EA has given us, and just enjoy your enhanced gameplay.

M

mysticlisa516

Enhanced? So far, I haven't seen anything but problems that need to be fixed.

R

Roger Wilco

Ingrate. Don't you know EA knows what's best for you - that windows mode is better? Stop thinking you prefer full screen and listen to EA.

G

<blockquote><hr>

SIGH.....I followed your advice and went to the free trial screen, gave it my screenname as a paying subscriber, got the subsequent email that led me to a screen that was supposed to allow me to download the EALand program, but upon entering my screenname and password, I was informed that the screenname and password was already taken (Duuuh!) and was denied access.

I sent an email to EA customer service. God only knows when I will hear from them. UGH!

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to go through the ft link if you're already a paying subscriber. I believe there is also a link for those already having accounts just to download the game and play immediately, though I do not possess that link, so I will make note of it if someone else provides it....pretty please? *bats eyelashes*

M

mysticlisa516

Don't even assume that EA nor you knows what best for me. I only know what's best for me. And I was hoping EA would do great things for this game, that's why I hung out for the last 2 years. But all they want to do is make the game much more difficult for many of their players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

For all you looking to use the 800×600 full screen mode. Right click your ealand icon and press properties, then click on the shortcut tab up top. At the end of the writing on the target line press the space bar one time and type -w -r800×600
p.s not the ealand windowed icon, the other one and your screen resolution needs to be set at 800x600

[/ QUOTE ] Bingo!...full screen view with large text etc.

D

Dita'

cbrewton,
that link works i dont know why you find the need to correct what i said. allow people to see other peoples responses before you run and fix everything.

G

<blockquote><hr>

cbrewton,
that link works i dont know why you find the need to correct what i said. allow people to see other peoples responses before you run and fix everything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say what? None of my posts have been even directed at you even much less correcting you, my post was directed toward the person who insisted she could not see with the current windowed mode. Contrary to what you might think, other people are allowed to give opinions too and offer advice that has nothing to do with contradicting or overriding the advice given by another person directly, unless they say "Sorry that does not work" or "Nope, you're incorrect, this is how to fix it" which I did not say. Your post seems totally out of left field and/or paranoid here......or what am I missing?

D

donnallg

This it just to much BS. I can change the res. and all that but not everyone on here knows what to do and will have to call Geek Squad to have their link set for them. This is one of the dumbest decisions you guys have made. Not everyone accesses the dumb webbases features you guys have added. You should have left it alone and let everyone have a choice as to what they wanted to play the game in...windows or full view.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Enhanced? So far, I haven't seen anything but problems that need to be fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda true. First I had windows mode AND full screen, depending on what I liked. Now I only have window mode.

But what I really really really want (spice girls anyone?) is to be able to change the size to a maximized window. I.e. 1280x1024 since a 17" or 19" flatscreen kinda is the standard now or will be in a year or so. TSO needs to go with its time

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

For all you looking to use the 800×600 full screen mode. Right click your ealand icon and press properties, then click on the shortcut tab up top. At the end of the writing on the target line press the space bar one time and type -w -r800×600
p.s not the ealand windowed icon, the other one and your screen resolution needs to be set at 800x600

[/ QUOTE ]

OKay, I'm a little lost on this, as I don't have an EALand icon on my screen. How do I set it up to have that one so I can fix the size? I miss the full mode. One thing I think they should have put to thought when doing this, speaking for a friend of mine...not everyone has good eyesight and can't see the smaller text.

They should have an option of text size choice to make it easier on those who have trouble reading smaller text. LOL I'm getting closer to 40 and you know what they say "the eyes start to go at 40!" LOL Will I have to buy a magnifying screen to play this in the future?? lol

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the same problem one of my friends is having. She can't see it in windows mode. So there for she has had no choice but to log on and just skill. She can't have a convo with you because she can't see the text.

G

<blockquote><hr>

This it just to much BS. I can change the res. and all that but not everyone on here knows what to do and will have to call Geek Squad to have their link set for them. This is one of the dumbest decisions you guys have made. Not everyone accesses the dumb webbases features you guys have added. You should have left it alone and let everyone have a choice as to what they wanted to play the game in...windows or full view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now, that's just a tad dramatic. If someone can't figure out how to change their screen resolution after explicit instructions have been given here, then surely they can find someone around them that isn't a techie that can translate what has been written in a way that they would understand or either just do it for them and save time. The last person I was around though that couldn't understand that was my grandma, but nor could she work a VCR either, so that's just a sign of age. Anybody capable of surfing the web, signing up for and playing online games, and posting anywhere near coherently on this forum ought to be able to hit Control Panel&gt;Display Properties and then whatever screen resolution they wish. I think (HOPE) you are seriously underestimating the intelligence of the players of this game
. More likely this is just another argument that you feel will help your cause of being reticent to change, either in general or on this particular issue. I understand being con on an issue, but come on at least make the argument a valid one?!?!

R

Roger Wilco

Perhaps she could hold a magnifying glass in one hand and type with the other?

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I don't even have Electronic Arts/EA Land in my program files, and have been accessing EA Land through The Sims Online files all along. Now all I can get, since yesterday, is Windows mode, which sucks. How do I fix this without having to uninstall and reinstall the entire game again??

I have to say, this totally SUCKS!

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should download the EA Land client from what I understand.....its not as big a download as the old TSO download so it wont take as long even with dial-up. However, windowed mode is it once the bug that is allowing FS currently is cleared up. This subject has come up a few times in the last couple weeks.....guess I need to put the URL to Gracie's thread in Notepad so I can keep referring back to it LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

1200+ mb on dialup not long? lol whats your definition of long?

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I cant even read Chat History it so small. And if I change pc resolution, it changes everything and distorts many pages that I go to. There has to be some type of compromise where I dont have to get a dang degree to fix this.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are external devices that attach to your monitor which magnify the text on the page you are currently looking at, without raising the screen resolution......here, I'll do a little research for ya, I'm bored and feeling charitable

Here's a couple I found in just a few minutes of hitting good ole Google....it's your best friend if you let it be
:

This one is the snap on magnifer that I was talking about, but a bit pricey for me on the low end income and therefore might not work for you unless you saved up for it. However, this one while being handheld and therefore a little cumbersome unless you alternate reading with the magnifying glass with typing, is much more price-friendly even for us in the low end income scale.

So see, there are options that won't put you in bankruptcy and with the second option you could also use it to read other webpages without having to change your screen rez, AND use it to read RL books and/or directions on packages since those are written in ungodly 4 point print. If you can't read chat history I'm sure some of those are nightmarish, so the second device could be multi-purpose, not only making your life easier in TSO, but in general so justifying the expense should be much easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

We are already going to have to buy new video cards to play once the graphics change, we already pay to play the game that's not much worth the money anymore, we have plenty of ppl that are buying simoleans now, and now we are going to have to by an external device to attach to our monitor, or whatever else, if we want to be able to read the text.

I'm seriously close to cancelling my accounts, my father's account, and my sister's account. I'll find us a better game to play. That's $40 bucks a month. I don't think you will think it was a wise decision when others that feel this way start deleting too.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I have the new client downloaded from ea-land.com by clicking on the free trial you can download it.
Now, I am using windows xp and I click on start, programs, ea land. Right click the icon and press properties. A new window will come up, click the shortcut tab. Then you will see a target line....
I added this to the end of the target line by adding a space and typing
-w -r800×600 exactly
I hope this helps
There should be two icons, one for windows mode and one that doesnt say windows. Change the one that is not windowed. The icon may also be on your desktop already.

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly this still isn't working for me. I'm permanently stuck in windows mode now no matter what I've tried.

I can deal with the small text (as much as I don't want to), but what I can't stand is the fact that we can't navigate around the rooms anymore by just moving our mouse around. I have to take the pointer to the edge of the window, wait for the little black pointer to show up, then click and click until I'm viewing where I want to be. That just blows.

Is full screen mode ever going to be possible again???

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to go through the ft link if you're already a paying subscriber. I believe there is also a link for those already having accounts just to download the game and play immediately, though I do not possess that link, so I will make note of it if someone else provides it....pretty please? *bats eyelashes*

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually you don't go through anything at all. After you click the free trial button it takes you to a page where you can
1. setup new accounts.
2. click a button and download the game, but note this is the ealand setup and after the initial download and install it and u start the game itself there will be a 1200mb+ download to get the rest of the game files.

D

donnallg

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on now, that's just a tad dramatic. If someone can't figure out how to change their screen resolution after explicit instructions have been given here, then surely they can find someone around them that isn't a techie that can translate what has been written in a way that they would understand or either just do it for them and save time. The last person I was around though that couldn't understand that was my grandma, but nor could she work a VCR either, so that's just a sign of age. Anybody capable of surfing the web, signing up for and playing online games, and posting anywhere near coherently on this forum ought to be able to hit Control Panel&gt;Display Properties and then whatever screen resolution they wish. I think (HOPE) you are seriously underestimating the intelligence of the players of this game
. More likely this is just another argument that you feel will help your cause of being reticent to change, either in general or on this particular issue. I understand being con on an issue, but come on at least make the argument a valid one?!?!

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends know very little more than how to turn the computer on and start up the game. She has had to call me long distance a few times for me to explain how to do different things with the game. Not everyone has someone close by to help them. And sometimes it's not to easy to explain something over the phone. So no I'm not being a tad bit dramatic here.

It doesn't matter what the hell I argue about on here anyways. The devs are going to do what the hell when the hell they want. But I'm going to vent about what I don't like as long as I'm paying for this stupid game.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I have the new client downloaded from ea-land.com by clicking on the free trial you can download it.
Now, I am using windows xp and I click on start, programs, ea land. Right click the icon and press properties. A new window will come up, click the shortcut tab. Then you will see a target line....
-w -r800×600 exactly
I hope this helps
There should be two icons, one for windows mode and one that doesnt say windows. Change the one that is not windowed. The icon may also be on your desktop already.

[/ QUOTE ]

sadly this still isn't working for me. I'm permanently stuck in windows mode now no matter what I've tried.

I can deal with the small text (as much as I don't want to), but what I can't stand is the fact that we can't navigate around the rooms anymore by just moving our mouse around. I have to take the pointer to the edge of the window, wait for the little black pointer to show up, then click and click until I'm viewing where I want to be. That just blows.

[/ QUOTE ]

full screen is gone permanently.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

I don't even have Electronic Arts/EA Land in my program files, and have been accessing EA Land through The Sims Online files all along. Now all I can get, since yesterday, is Windows mode, which sucks. How do I fix this without having to uninstall and reinstall the entire game again??

I have to say, this totally SUCKS!

[/ QUOTE ]

You really should download the EA Land client from what I understand.....its not as big a download as the old TSO download so it wont take as long even with dial-up. However, windowed mode is it once the bug that is allowing FS currently is cleared up. This subject has come up a few times in the last couple weeks.....guess I need to put the URL to Gracie's thread in Notepad so I can keep referring back to it LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

1200+ mb on dialup not long? lol whats your definition of long?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yeah if a person is on dialup, I didn't know the person in question was. Still, what I did when I was exiled to dialup what I did was download one of those free download managers that allowed you to pick up where you left off if you dropped conn, instead of having to start over, and I did the downloads at night mostly....in a couple nights tops that should be downloaded, unless you're on 28kbps dialup and not 52kbps. If you're like my ISP for dialup was, you'll want to do some downloading during the day too, because my conn would sometimes auto drop after 3 hours of continuous connection. With the download manager if this happened you'd just reconnect and start the download manager back up, select the file and it'll show you how far done it is and pick up where it left off. Might keep you out of game for a couple days, but it will be worth it in the end and avoid alot of unnecessary hassle/confusion.....even moreso than downloading on dialup in the first place would cause.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-w -r800×600 exactly
I hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
It's NOT gone permanently. Only full screen DEFAULT and OFFICIAL support are gone - There are ways to configure back to full screen for 'almost' everyone.
However, 'pissing and moaning' is not recognized by the computer as a viable means of fixing things.
What we need is to know a few things about your setup.
I will be opening another thread for the purpose of helping people.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-w -r800×600 exactly
I hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP
It's NOT gone permanently. Only full screen DEFAULT and OFFICIAL support are gone - There are ways to configure back to full screen for 'almost' everyone.
However, 'pissing and moaning' is not recognized by the computer as a viable means of fixing things.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think encouraging people to go against what is stated is right for the game, and the supported way is a very good thing to do. Just my opinion of course.....or maybe others agree
. Especially over something like this that is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just an FYI but if anybody does anything with their game that isn't supported by EA, and you screw things up, just like with any other warranty you might find yourself SOL and being told you're on your own to fix it whereas those that didn't go tweaking things, which is against the ToS now that I think of it, will receive whatever tech support there is.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

-w -r800×600 exactly
I hope this helps

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
NOIP

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but I don't think encouraging people to go against what is stated is right for the game, and the supported way is a very good thing to do. Just my opinion of course.....or maybe others agree
. Especially over something like this that is no big deal in the grand scheme of things. Just an FYI but if anybody does anything with their game that isn't supported by EA, and you screw things up, just like with any other warranty you might find yourself SOL and being told you're on your own to fix it whereas those that didn't go tweaking things, which is against the ToS now that I think of it, will receive whatever tech support there is.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not being "Official" does not mean they don't approve. It means they don't want the responsibility for themselves.
Many times, the devs have encouraged what they call "community support", and that they even prefer it to "official" support.
I could show you the e-mails.
Soooo, stop trying to scare people, ok?

M

millerah

I found that launching the game in 32bit 1024x768 res. the launcher gives an error to correct the graphics. then when ur login screen comes up it gives another error to correct the graphics again and bingo I have full screen mode.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Especially over something like this that is no big deal in the grand scheme of things

[/ QUOTE ] You may find it to be a big deal if a number of people cancel their subscriptions and harm the future outcome of the game. I applaud Donovan for taking his time to try and help people who ask for it

I

imported_TSO_Christopher

I don't mind this Window Mode so much as I do not having the edge scrolling functional anymore. I know about the right-click, use of the keyboard arrows, etc..but it's not the same as just moving your mouse cursor to the corner of the screen.

It's starting to drive me up the great wall of China

Will this be rectified soon or has our edge scrolling functionality gone *poof* also?

I

imported_Spacey

Just clicking reply.

I don't have EA Land icon on my computer, just the TSO. Do I need to delete the old game and download EA Land? Now I have windows mode and I want my full screen back. I wish there was a place to go for all these answers, or they would publish a guide first before making these changes and having us fish around for answers. I am just gonna shut the game down for tonight and rest. I can't mess with all of this. This is discouraging.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I don't mind this Window Mode so much as I do not having the edge scrolling functional anymore. I know about the right-click, use of the keyboard arrows, etc..but it's not the same as just moving your mouse cursor to the corner of the screen.

It's starting to drive me up the great wall of China

Will this be rectified soon or has our edge scrolling functionality gone *poof* also?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you 100% on that one!

PLEASE bring our scrolling feature back. I can't take this constant clicking to move around while I'm squinting.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I found that launching the game in 32bit 1024x768 res. the launcher gives an error to correct the graphics. then when ur login screen comes up it gives another error to correct the graphics again and bingo I have full screen mode.

[/ QUOTE ]

ooooooo, aaahhhhh! This worked for me!! It's still 'technically' a window as I can still see the blue windows bar at the very top of my screen. The bottom row of needs (bladder &amp; room) are partially not visible, BUT guess what!! Even the mouse scrolling thing works again in all directions except down! I think I can live with this

Tysvm!