• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA-Land Devs off track...

• Thread starter ephemeral
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
R

Roger Wilco

Just hitting reply....

I realize I will be bombarded with insults for saying this but WTH.... Yeah, the dev's are off track and have been since '02 by insisting that ALL of TSO/EA-Land be a nice, non-violent, teen rated, happyland. What's next, unicorns and ponies? Have they forgotten the main demographic of online gamers are younger men? I would submit that TSO and now EA-Land doesn't provide a very appealing world for them - exactly as they intended.

And then they wonder why nobody is playing.

If one of the cities at launch had allowed mean behavior, violence, guns, gladiatorial combat, and just plain teenage boy childish behavior we would have had droves of subscribers. All the nice people would have had to have done was avoid that server. Doesn't SL allow this kind of behavior in certain areas?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm quite aware that none of the above will be allowed to occur in EA-Land. I'm also aware that the game has been steadily declining in subscriptions since shortly after launch. Their answer to turn things around is to create a better version of what failed. I doubt that's a recipe for success, but what do I know.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

Roger, the demographic for TSO was much studied, and unique in that from the beginning the typical player was a 27 year old female. So, unicorns and ponies would be great, please! Lol. In the beginning this was to be the online gaming venue for The Sims fans, and I dare you to find testosterone, raging or other wise, in any of the versions of that game (which is, to date, the most popular computer game ever).

I disagree with you that the game would be better if it catered to the non-The Sims demographic. The thing is, they are not even aiming to please the dedicated demographic. At this point, it is unclear who they are aiming for -- and perhaps that is the problem. We are told that the TSO is gone for good, and the game is being rebranded to serve the general EA population -- perhaps only as a portal to EA gamers looking for a place to sample other EA games before purchase -- yet, to this point, the game is still very much the same old motives-based game it always was.

I was intrigued that an article discussing TS3 indicated that market research shows The Sims offline players do not want to play online, as they don't want real people messing up their sim world -- they enjoy independence. I was thinking of all the ways we are currently being steered towards relying on other players -- for stores, for income -- and it strikes me that IF the most loyal demographic here are those who adore The Sims, then it is counterproductive to be pushing the player base towards the very thing they know that demographic dislikes.

If, as you wish, the game evolved to one that catered to young male players, that would completely drive the central long-term player base out of the game, IMO, and unless completely overhauled, would not appeal to those who like an adrenaline rush with their game play.

I strongly agree that the salvation of this game will be, or would have been, building on its strengths. TSO had some compelling components which seem to be overlooked by the devs' plans.

M

mysticlisa516

That is the reason that I like this game. I don't want a game where I have to hunt, kill, capture, torture, or to look for pixilated sex. I don't want to look for ugly dragons. I want a game that I can use my resources to build what I like and to have other players enjoy it.

The only thing that is bothering me is that the devs want to take more away than give to the players.

G

<blockquote><hr>

That is the reason that I like this game. I don't want a game where I have to hunt, kill, capture, torture, or to look for pixilated sex. I don't want to look for ugly dragons. I want a game that I can use my resources to build what I like and to have other players enjoy it.

The only thing that is bothering me is that the devs want to take more away than give to the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes dragons are beautiful.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

Sometimes dragons are beautiful.

[/ QUOTE ]

We agree on that, Jackiee. In fact, the majority of dragons are not ugly.

I vote for dragons in EA Land. Maybe they could work better than fireworks at starting fires, and attack better than sim dogs.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply....

I realize I will be bombarded with insults for saying this but WTH.... Yeah, the dev's are off track and have been since '02 by insisting that ALL of TSO/EA-Land be a nice, non-violent, teen rated, happyland. What's next, unicorns and ponies? Have they forgotten the main demographic of online gamers are younger men? I would submit that TSO and now EA-Land doesn't provide a very appealing world for them - exactly as they intended.

If one of the cities at launch had allowed mean behavior, violence, guns, gladiatorial combat, and just plain teenage boy childish behavior we would have had droves of subscribers. All the nice people would have had to have done was avoid that server. Doesn't SL allow this kind of behavior in certain areas?

Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm quite aware that none of the above will be allowed to occur in EA-Land. I'm also aware that the game has been steadily declining in subscriptions since shortly after launch. Their answer to turn things around is to create a better version of what failed. I doubt that's a recipe for success, but what do I know.

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree with you wholeheartedly! If this game had all of that stuff you mentioned, it would have just been Yet-Another-PKer game where Girls Need Not Apply.

Or are you suggesting that girls have no place in the gaming world?

You want guns and bombs and all of that crap? Fine. Go find one of the bazillions of games that cater to your kind. Let us have this one game, please.

Now - where do I sign up for the unicorns and ponies?

I

imported_Calina.Rhiannon

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree with you wholeheartedly! If this game had all of that stuff you mentioned, it would have just been Yet-Another-PKer game where Girls Need Not Apply.

You want guns and bombs and all of that crap? Fine. Go find one of the bazillions of games that cater to your kind. Let us have this one game, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG! Unicorns &amp; Ponies?! WHERE?!

*prances away through the dewey meadow in search of shiney things*

edit to add: if they gave me guns in this game i'd have ppl posting that i'm a terrible host for shooting afkers... with that said, can i have a revolver?

J

jammybob

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply....

[/ QUOTE ]

I think with respect, you missed the point here. Why would one server / city ruin the game for us umm.... more grown up players?
If anything, in my opinion, its a great idea. The mafia families would likely move there and they have been a bone of contention to many throughout TSO history.
I don't see how it would effect players in other cities in the slightest, except perhaps for the better.
I would also perhaps suggest a seperate "adult only" city for gameplay not allowed in EA-Land generally.
He is right, there are huge bases of gameplayers really not catered for in this game that are embraced elsewhere.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply....

[/ QUOTE ]
A world without women!!!!!!!
MY GOD MAN! That would be (almost) as bad as a world without beer!!!

R

Roger Wilco

As I said Dali, I wasn't proposing to change ALL of the old TSO, only one of the old servers. In my opinion it would have been easily the most popular one, but we'll never know. I'm also aware it has zero chance of happening now with their new approach of trying to create SL lite. It's my opinion that it won't work, but we'll see.

I disagree that offline sims players don't want other real life people impacting their sim world. We've seen a lot of players for whom TSO was their first online game migrate to other games, not to escape angst, but rather the intentionally designed boring gameplay which the dev's thought would stimulate conversation. If nothing else shows how off track the original dev's were, that does.

So what are the current dev's doing to change that? They're fiddling around on the edges. The core skill/make money/build and hope people visit your house game play is still mostly the same. I really don't see how adding custom content to a failed game design is a winning combination.

Ohh, and condeming new arrivals to forever remaining so poor that the only viable method of building their own place is to use the ATM borders on the most noob unfriendly design I've ever seen.

V

vapd3317

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply....

[/ QUOTE ]
A world without women!!!!!!!
MY GOD MAN! That would be (almost) as bad as a world without beer!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

....shudders at the thought....

I

imported_TraciRK

<blockquote><hr>

Just hitting reply....

I realize I will be bombarded with insults for saying this but WTH.... Yeah, the dev's are off track and have been since '02 by insisting that ALL of TSO/EA-Land be a nice, non-violent, teen rated, happyland. What's next, unicorns and ponies? Have they forgotten the main demographic of online gamers are younger men?
<font color="red"> Yes but the teenage boys would invade the other server anyway. And I love having a game where I can get on and visit with other people in a more mature (25 - 60) age group. The majority of the people I meet are Stay at Home Moms who are looking for companionship. </font>

I would submit that TSO and now EA-Land doesn't provide a very appealing world for them - exactly as they intended. <font color="red"> If this is what they intended, great! I am 39 and have been playing games since the first atari came out and there are those of us who do enjoy the non-violence. It is nice to know there is someone out there who isn't catering to the younger crowd as much. Though I have met some younger people on here that are a lot of fun. </font>

If one of the cities at launch had allowed mean behavior, violence, guns, gladiatorial combat, and just plain teenage boy childish behavior we would have had droves of subscribers. All the nice people would have had to have done was avoid that server. Doesn't SL allow this kind of behavior in certain areas? <font color="red"> None of the offline games have the above posted behavior yet it is the most popular ever so perhaps the gaming world doesn't revolve around teenage boys. I think EA understands that it is the parents who actually have the money and the fact that EA is catering to us old people is a good thing to me. There are those of us who are so busy being Mama and Daddy it is fun to get on and act silly a few hours in the day. Or even discuss some RL stuff going on and have someone there who understands exactly what you are talking about. [color]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="black"> I am hoping the non-communication from the devs is because they are busy finding new ways for us to play the game. In the meantime I will go out in the beautiful weather and take care of my gardens. I play when I have time but a lot are busy with spring here. There will probably be more subscribers on in the Fall, when the weather starts getting cold again. I know I will be on more often then. In no way insulting you, just a different opinion.</font>

I

imported_Gracie Nito

Traci is most correct. I have been witness to 6 springs in TSO history now. Every spring, someone posts on stratics about how much slower it is and that less people are logging in. Besides everyone getting out and enjoying the beautiful weather, we have college students cramming for finals. All students are actually busiest as the school year draws to and end. Even parents are busier with end of the year school activites and sports events.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

I think with respect, you missed the point here. Why would one server / city ruin the game for us umm.... more grown up players?
If anything, in my opinion, its a great idea. The mafia families would likely move there and they have been a bone of contention to many throughout TSO history.
I don't see how it would effect players in other cities in the slightest, except perhaps for the better.
I would also perhaps suggest a seperate "adult only" city for gameplay not allowed in EA-Land generally.
He is right, there are huge bases of gameplayers really not catered for in this game that are embraced elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

WARNING: Comments that might be considered sexist and ageist embedded in the following

This idea does tickle me. Especially the notion that the mafia players, and those who enjoy griefing, are "adult." I would actually support this idea if the devs went for it, if all of us would be allowed a sim in that city to use for voyeurism. I really want to see how "adults" keep their houses, and what shape the map view would be in (who owns who, etc.).

I picture properties overrun with roaches, dead plants, trash on every surface, unwashed dishes -- total red score over the entire city. And everywhere you look there would be sims standing in pools of pee, or indicating they were desperate for food, comfort, sleep. Toilets plugged -- but then, uninals need no upkeep. A city of sims with no skills. But fun -- because it would be where the grown-up action of mafia ruled. And -- no unicorns or ponies!

Actually, this fantasy has made my day.
I hope the devs read the idea and boot up one of the old servers to take on this challenge.

I

imported_Dali Dalinza

<blockquote><hr>

As I said Dali, I wasn't proposing to change ALL of the old TSO, only one of the old servers. In my opinion it would have been easily the most popular one, but we'll never know. I'm also aware it has zero chance of happening now with their new approach of trying to create SL lite. It's my opinion that it won't work, but we'll see.

I disagree that offline sims players don't want other real life people impacting their sim world. We've seen a lot of players for whom TSO was their first online game migrate to other games, not to escape angst, but rather the intentionally designed boring gameplay which the dev's thought would stimulate conversation. If nothing else shows how off track the original dev's were, that does.

So what are the current dev's doing to change that? They're fiddling around on the edges. The core skill/make money/build and hope people visit your house game play is still mostly the same. I really don't see how adding custom content to a failed game design is a winning combination.

Ohh, and condeming new arrivals to forever remaining so poor that the only viable method of building their own place is to use the ATM borders on the most noob unfriendly design I've ever seen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Roger, it sure sounds like Maxis intends to make EA Land a portal to other EA games, most of which fall into the macho and/or "for guys" category. Maybe they feel the same way you do, that EA Land offers too narrow appeal. Along with their push to increase the flow of cash via ATMs, maybe they are counting on EA Land to provide additional income flow from game sales or subscriptions their other titles.

If Luc is thinking that EA Land can be more like Sony's HOME, then we may be in for changes in line with what you have in mind after all. IF that sort of evolution can be pulled off with this game, that is.