• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

EA allows illegal vendor search websites to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

drinkbeerallday

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
this is a repost of an earlier thread.

for some reason the moderators decided to delete the entire thread and discussion because there was a link in the post that was against TOS

i have no idea why they didn't just remove the link. i suppose that would have made too much sense.

when Mr Tact was with the Dev team he expressed interest in a vendor search engine within UO

now it seems like the UO Dev's are willing to ban people who use a third party search engine but not the people actually running the website.

the website is possible because the website operator can use a script that searches vendors within the game, mostly around Luna.

funny part is the Dev's allow this to happen but ban people who actually are users of the site.

seems really stupid considering UO should have a vendor search tool built in.

again we have EA banning people who buy duped items, now we have EA banning people who use a search website that they pretty much allow to operate.

what a disaster.

the website is **link removed** and yes, they make a lot of money. (and you can bet they don't pay taxes so yeah it's probably illegal IRL)

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
whaaaaat? people r gettin banned for websites (obviously not stating names) that search for items in uo? seriously??? ummm how is that possible even if tracking IP address's to those sites? For everyone thinkn these are "bad" sites all they do is search for items on vendors (if this is indeed what the OP is talking about).

Bardie

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They probably run it.. LOL.
haha would make sense...still don't understand y they would ban for a search site that looks for items so i don't have to run all over looking for it...hell i was wishing that it would work for all of UO not just luna

A

Ash

haha would make sense...still don't understand y they would ban for a search site that looks for items so i don't have to run all over looking for it...hell i was wishing that it would work for all of UO not just luna
Someone was 24 hour banned for stating the name in game and either someone near paged or a GM just happened to be watching at the time.

L

love2winalot

Well at least you don't see all those damn books with the url laying around all over the place anymore.

Xalan Dementia

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People can be banned for Endorsing these sites. if youve noticed that books with the sites url havent been left around high traffic areas anymore. if you promote a site in game, its terms for banning. You wont be banned for using the site, only for advertising it in game or on these boards.

S

Sarphus

For someone who supposedly doesn't play UO anymore, you sure spend a lot of your time complaining about it.

This ad hominem diatribe is starting to get old (always was lame).

The GM didn't ban anyone. They SUSPENDED an account because the owner of the account violated the ToS by advertising a website. The suspension has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the website. The suspension was because ToS clearly states you aren't to advertise websites in game (and there are a lot of very good reasons why this policy exists).

The user violated this rule and was suspended for 24 hours because of it.

It's a small punishment for a relatively small ToS violation. End of story.

op is blowing this way out of proportion.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
EA allows alot of illegal things to go on. Just page on a blatant speedhacker, wait for the canned message, and watch the cheat continue speedhacking. Theyve allowed this crap to go on for so long that so many people are doing it that they are afraid to do anything about it.

N

Noobish Noob

I wish there was a way to limit posters to those who atually have active accounts in game. Too much sour grapes being posted these days. Play it and enjoy... posting in these forums will do as much good as paging in game... nada. Sad thing is a single negative post draws so much more interest than all the positive ones it seems. Everyone is ready to shake their fist at the sky and curse the gods of UO instead of just getting back to the reason we are here in the first place...playing the game we enjoy. If you no longer enjoy it stop being trolls and move onto something you do enjoy. That is uness trolling is what you enjoy.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
1. The moderators cannot edit posts.
2. Posting certain links has been prohibited for a LONG time.
3. You are not supposed to discuss moderator's actions anyway.
4. Mr. Tact is long gone, which is a shame, but nevertheless, he's gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.