• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Duped items

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivory Norwind

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How can i understand if an item is duped or not?
For example, if i buy something in a vendor or from a player in a bank, the duped items are like the normal items?

M

MYUO

Some items changed after dupe - e.g. blessed shroud of shadow loses its bless tag in the duped copies.
For many other items, however, you can't tell the difference. Before getting paranoid by the many posts if this forum, keep in mind that if you just bought a few of those illegal items, you won't run the risk of being banned. Worst come worst, gm may delete the items that you bought.

Z

Zofinur

u cant.
Of course if it´s too cheap u should be very carefull

i guess u can be even banned for duped checks that u earn!

Before getting paranoid by the many posts if this forum, keep in mind that if you just bought a few of those illegal items, you won't run the risk of being banned.
I always was paranoid. very very much. And now im banned.
So there is not too much paranoia!
Be even more paranoid then i was to protect urself.

S

Syfka

I have often wondered is there a list out there of items that they know for sure are dupes? if so can someone please direct me to it so i know what to watch out for. please and thank you. :p

B

Beldon

For example, if i buy something in a vendor or from a player in a bank, the duped items are like the normal items?
From Jeremy:

A runic? No. Two or three? Naw. Thirty? Probably, yeah.

I'm not going to give a specific number for the dupers to use to game the system, but it's high enough that most casual players won't hit it. The "innocent" guy who emailed me over the weekend had 160 or so duped items. Not so innocent. eh?

For the people asking for a list - it depends on the actual dupe. Some only work on specific items, some work on just about anything. The latter kind we can't very well warn you about. I suspect runics were the new hotness this time around because of the buff they got last winter.

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so glad I have not done the merchant thing (lack of r/l time) in 8 months or more... Just been loggin in for a few mins here and there, not even going to town half the time... (no time sucks but I am so happy) ...

I would have been banned playing the way I normally do so goes to show no one is safe if they make a living buying and selling like some of us do.

I could not have picked a better year not to play this wonderful game... I just count my blessing (lack there of) .. haha... no real life time... no game time... saved my uo account. Harsh but true.

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am so glad I have not done the merchant thing (lack of r/l time) in 8 months or more... Just been loggin in for a few mins here and there, not even going to town half the time... (no time sucks but I am so happy) ...

I would have been banned playing the way I normally do so goes to show no one is safe if they make a living buying and selling like some of us do.

I could not have picked a better year not to play this wonderful game... I just count my blessing (lack there of) .. haha... no real life time... no game time... saved my uo account. Harsh but true.
This entire thing is being pulled out of proportion.

Me and several other hundred traders have not been banned. While I cannot comment on some of the more tragic bans, I do know that if you use common sense you are 99% safe. When I noticed valorite hammers were showing up in suspicious frequencies I just stopped buying and selling them. Some guy offered me 100 barbed kits at 800k each. I told him no thank you. As I think EVERYONE should have done. If someone did buy those 100 barbed kits (do you really think someone did ten thousands of bods only to sell them at a sub-market price? Get the heck outta here!) I hope he or she got banned. Along with the guy selling them.

It's not like EA is banning all traders. UO has a very active economy, so there are goods being exchanged all day long. Just always consider 'is the guy I'm dealing with legitimate?'. Talk with him a little. How did he get the stuff? I'm by no means a small trader, so it's definitely possible. A quick profit might in the end kill you. If you sell TVs in a store and some guy offers you 20 high end Sony TVs worth $3000 for $500 each, would you buy them? Duh, of course not.
If you don't trust a vendor, just don't buy the items!

Some people here on Stratics love the drama and act like the world is on fire. That's just not true. EA banned some people that deserved to get banned a long time ago for the most part. Sure some people appear to be legitimate, but EA will never give their side of the story (and as a lawyer irl I surely hope they won't either).

Oh and don't get me wrong, personally I think Lucy and Zofinur did nothing wrong, and I do hope EA will investigate their case again. Even if just to clear their names.

M

MYUO

u cant.
Of course if it´s too cheap u should be very carefull

i guess u can be even banned for duped checks that u earn!

I always was paranoid. very very much. And now im banned.
So there is not too much paranoia!
Be even more paranoid then i was to protect urself.
If you sincerely believe that you did nothing wrong (including not buying a bunch of rares/runics cheap) and you truely love UO, doing what you are doing now (i.e. repeatly claiming your innocence at this forum and asking for explaination) will eventually get your account back or get you the detailed explanation on your banning).
I don't believe having some duped checks in you house will get you banned. Even if I am wrong, by keeping on persuing it, you should be able to get your account (but not the checks) back.

Z

Zofinur

EA will never give their side of the story (and as a lawyer irl I surely hope they won't either).
Mind to go into details?
Maybe some good reasons makes me accept the situation and give up complaining that i was banned innocent.
At the moment i think it would be best to hear their side of the story

azmodanb

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya makes since, just a thought though, with my luck I would have lost my beta account heh.. (prolly not though since I typically use common since) ... just the idea though of someone selling kits at 500K-1M lower, buying them up for future sale, then loosing my account would have sucked... I guess I was speculating, but ya know... just happy I have no worries is all... since I have not even traded anything in 8 months at least now. Just been paying for my account I guess just to pay for it... (not wanting to loose my house etc) I do have a good amount of vet rewards to play with on my return though heh, I guess that's a bonus since I have payed monthly for really zero game time .. heh I wish UO would do some kind of "vacation" package, cheaper rate for not loggin in. heh.

Z

Zofinur

If you sincerely believe that you did nothing wrong
Still 100% convinced about that!

and you truely love UO
Not just UO, even the U alone. Started with U-III ("Exodus") when it was new, and continued to play them all

Even if I am wrong, by keeping on persuing it, you should be able to get your account (but not the checks) back.
Would be a nice longterm goal.
But shortterm goal is to be able to understand what happened.
And for this it does not help to be told i had "multiple of highly illegal items"
I dont even know about a "lower" illegal item!

But still EA refuses to talk to me in private!

Kaj

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mind to go into details?
Maybe some good reasons makes me accept the situation and give up complaining that i was banned innocent.
At the moment i think it would be best to hear their side of the story
I am sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant publicly in a forum. They should e-mail (or via phone/snail mail) you and disclose to you what you did wrong.
If they do not, the ban in no way has a way of 'teaching you something'.

Arabella

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keep on complaining and questioning the answers you received. I truly hope you get the reversal of the ban on your acct.

I wonder have you contacted anyone other then EA about this ban?

yanaki2

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
you know whats funny, many years ago before trammel was a glimmer in the devs eyes, way back when a account could have a house for each charicter , i came across a dupe bug by accident. next thing i knew i had 2 identicle bags each with a bunch of weapons and junk in it, i think one was a vaq kryss. i called the gm, explained what happened. he actually thanked me and told me to go ahead and keep the second set of items . and the next day there was a patch and the bug was fixed. end of story... simple easy, freindly.

now a days buy a item today get banned tomorrow. ask for help get a cold shoulder..

Z

Zofinur

I wonder have you contacted anyone other then EA about this ban?
Friends: yes
Mythic: yes (beeing ignored)
Lawyer: no, and most likely wont even try

but i learned something from EA: Go away, shut up, we dont care for crap like u; we won´t even answer anymore.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To stay on topic. This is one thing that jerks my chain. There is only one way that I know of to verify an item is duped. This can only tell you if two items in your posession are duplicates, and it takes a bannable third party program to do so. I will not disclose the method, as I value my 8 and 12 year old accounts too much to lose them. I really wish there was a legal way to see the item id of an object.

K

Kith Kanan

I am sorry, I wasn't clear! I meant publicly in a forum. They should e-mail (or via phone/snail mail) you and disclose to you what you did wrong.
they dont you just get the canned response , i mailed them several times, and the response is 99,9% identical , some says they sorry some does not....

M

MYUO

Would be a nice longterm goal.
But shortterm goal is to be able to understand what happened.
And for this it does not help to be told i had "multiple of highly illegal items"
I dont even know about a "lower" illegal item!

But still EA refuses to talk to me in private!
EA wont' talked to you at this moment because of the intensity of the heat. Assuming they take a look at your case and you get your account back, they will get swamped by other banned players asking for the same treatment.

Wait a few weeks while keep on pressing your case, maybe one day you will get an email from EA telling you that your account is re-activated. Of course that is assuming that you are as innocent as you claim. You know, no one, including Jeremy, can stand your persistant claim of being innocent.

Status
Not open for further replies.