• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dragon Stone: The cat who walks through walls

Roberto

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I was at the Luna mint. It was another boring languorous day. I had nothing to do. I had encountered Izznet and had whiskered through a conversation on multiple dimensions and instantaneous travels and for some strange reason the differences between physics and metaphysics and magic. As if there are any differences.

I grew tired and faded leaving not even a smile. I traipsed across astral paths. Chocolate darkness and pools of milk white light. Places no human could go. And certainly no foolish canine would ever figure out how to walk between the folds in the angles of the time space continuum.

I had just put paws on a star lit moon and made the observances to the Grey Saber Cat Guard of the local Cat Queen. When my third left whisker started to twitch. Something was wrong. I made my good byes and took the shortest route towards home. I landed abruptly and not where I should. This was not home. This was not Dragon Stone.

I walked about and quickly determined it was Felluca. Britain Felluca to be exact. I tried to blink across to Trammel but to no avail. My tail twitched and all my whiskers were aquiver. I faded.

I sat and watched and finally picked up a scent of wrongness. I will not say good or evil as terms that others such as Deanyra, or Roberto would use. But it was certainly a littermate to that concept. It led to the sewers.

The sewers. I am no sewer cat to hunt and catch sewer rats. Still whatever it was that was keeping me from my destination was linked to this place. I glided down deeper and deeper. Strangely there were no rats about. I came to a place under the moat to Lord Brittish’s castle. And to a place that should not be. There filling an arch was a void. I sniffed it out and whiskered about. It was a void and a void like the one that was tearing the gargoyle lands apart. This was dangerous. This was important.

“Fint anythink interestink?” a squeaky ratty voice behind me said.
I leapt to the side and up the wall and turned. A rat man.
Poor slow stupid rat man.
I leapt to the opposite wall and flew past his guard. Claws across the throat made sure it would not call others as it drowned in its own blood. I am not cruel. A quick bite to the back of the neck and the lights went out of its eyes.

Rat men rarely travel alone. And I do not know why they call them rat men. They are more like Rat monkeys. But of course humans always equivocate everything to themselves. Stupid humans. Back to the point. I leapt into the void mid fade, tail, smile, whiskers and all. I felt the cold of the void and then I was in a well-lit valley.

Rats! Rats, rat men, giant rats, every kind of rat one knows. Void rats, Crystal rats, and even the giant rat of Sumatra were there. The smell of rat was everywhere. I fought the urge to go all claw-tooth on them and remained hidden.

At the far end of the valley was a platform. And upon it the mockery of a throne. And the bloated form of a very fat rat king sat upon the throne. A rank of rat men with halberds lined the edge of the platform. An honor guard, the rats were not expecting trouble. The rat king shared his platform with a glowing orb. Instantly I felt the wrongness and could see as time and space and folds of dimension were being pulled into it from beyond. There was one point near the rat king. A singularity, an unmoving flaw. I had seen what I needed to see.

I felt a fold in dimensions pulling past me towards the orb. I slid within and without. The corridors were twisted and bent. Familiar channels went nowhere. What should have taken a few tail twitches languished in full catnaps. I began to despair of finding a path. The hair on my back stood on end, and my tail was in full threat mode. Two panes of existence slid by and revealed a way out. I flipped and slid and curved into existence.

I landed full four paws naturally. I raced to tell all, and headed to the tower in Blackthorns keep. There the mouser let me in. Through the way to the true rulers chamber. Princess Mittens sat upon her throne. She was on her seventh life and in full form. There was much ado. I came to the space before her and stretched long and low.

“Not now I have no time for your catnip” said Mittens,” something is amiss with the time space continuum.”
“Yes I know” I replied tail flat and whisking on the floor. “The rat men have a device pulling out all the folds between dimensions.”
“You have seen this” asked Princess Mittens.
I then gave my report.

Things started to happen cats shifted and faded and the word went out. By midafternoon there was not a cat to be found in trammel, felucca, or on any of the moons. We filled the endless hall that circled a dead sun and had no name. Waiting. We launched at a signal from Princess Mittens. Through gates, tunnels, and singularities, we poured out upon the platform of the rat king.

I was not in the lead. I saw the rat king rise and swing his mighty scepter around. That incomplete act was his last. A hundred thousand cats using you as a claw catch will not leave much of you intact.

The battle was epic. I did my share. My high point was hamstringing the Giant Rat of Sumatra while deadly Twixt slashed its eyes. Down went the Giant and with it resistance by the rats broke. They scurried for their holes. By darkness I was very tired of the taste of rat. It was not without losses many a ratter went on to their next incarnation. But the rats were devastated. If one in one hundred survived I’d give up milk for a week.

Princess Mittens broke the orb. And things started to sort themselves out. As usually happens when humans don’t get to muck about in things.

By moon rise I was home in Dragon Stone. I sat in my chair by the fireplace in the main hall. Stretched, and curled up for a well-deserved nap. The door swung upon and banged against the wall. I could smell burnt chicken… no burnt raptor and dragon fire. Roberto staggered in and almost sat on me flopping down in the chair. He looked the worse for wear.

“How are you cat?” he asked and rubbed that spot behind my left ear…. Mmmm.
“Purrrfect” I replied. “How are you?”
Roberto’s laugh was tinged with a bit of madness as he responded. “ha Just Fine”
“I got ambushed by raptors. Saved by Dragons, and offered a picnic by Daenyra.” Said Roberto.
“What did you do today?” he asked.
“oh nothing much” I replied
“Stupid Cat”
“Stupid Roberto”

He scratched behind my ear and I let him. For I am the cat who walks through walls and I am worshipped as I should be.

-- Cat who walks through walls