• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Drachenfels New Player Project.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hello.

Firstly i'd like to say thanks to Cat and Legaycee for helping me out when I needed it, I do appreciate it.

Now, moving on.

After a brief, lonely, stint on Siege ive decided to stop playing DF casually and return, while my time will not be as it was in past years, ill be around.

Ive been thinking alot recently how UO was once great, and while the changes that came were sometimes not the best often I feel its not the changes but the lack of community/population/help that has caused the game to suffer. I see "NEW" on Siege and they have a thriving population, well, not thriving, but you get my drift. While I have no plans as grand as this for Drach, I do have one thing I would like to try, one more shot at bringing back some community and fun....

Like some of you guys posting here ive only just came back myself, while my characters are developed with my armour and such, gold and other items I dont have, now this dosent bother me, my characters are where I want them so I dont need money for skill progression, nor do I need armour etc. However, what about those less fortunate? What about those who have returned with nothing, or moved here with nothing, do we simply hope to bump into them at Luna to offer then gold? Or just assume they'll be ok? To this end, im working on my project to offer new/returning players aid in a game where most of us can no longer dedicate our time like we once did...

To this end, ive created a Safe Haven for players.

The building, placed today is still underconstruction and you cant access the majority of it while I set things up.

Its beside Yew Gate...

...and thus easily accessible.

The first floor, seen now..

...is primarily for my equipment and characters, however a public forge could come in handy.

The second floor is where I hope the help will come in...

...while it is still in the works (that table needs to be black and is missing some dye tubs ;0) all those crates are accessed to anyone. Anyone at all.

It is my hope, and aim, to fill these with items that "advanced" players dont need, but those less fortunate do. LRC suits, Good resist armour, Weapons for each skill, lower end artifacts, power scrolls, Trade tools - i.e pickaxes, tinkers tools etc etc...

These chests are for anyone to use or to put items into. Take what you need, but dont be greedy, this is for everyone.

The third floor..

...im hoping to add training dummies too, for low end skill gain (I cant make these..anyone sell them?)

As ive said, its very much underconstruction, i hope to have it open and semi stoked by the weekend if possible, however I do need help.

There are items I cant craft on my own, and as a returning player information I simply dont know.

To this end, ive placed this...

...a secure, accessible to anyone, chest.

I know alot of you do hunts, champs and such and often just dump items that YOU dont need, but if you think these can be used by new players please place them here, ill get them sorted and into chests and have the place open as soon as. Secondly, once the doors are open feel free to take/bring what you like, try and keep it in order though ;)

So aye, its a project in the works - Feed back is needed.

Also - If anyone can make me a message/bullitin board please do. Ill happily pay. I need one facing, er, south i think. Sorry Ive got UO closed.

Any ideas on decoration/items/etc will be taken into consideration.

I know this is alot to ask, but I figure its worth a shot. If the idea has no support or dosent take off ill reconsider it.

Regards,

TheHERO

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its great to see there people helping out the new ones . :)

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah of course.

Once ive got a few more items and have the crates stocked better you can drop what you like. Im hoping that alot of the guys who do champs instead of throwing the scrolls on the floor will bring them to Yew gate and through them either into the correct chest, or in the pink valentines day box for me to sort.

Its better a needing player getting them than the nasty slimes ;)

Also - a decent place to hunt for items? Im looking to build my LRC chests.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow Cat thats amazing.

Thank you.

Now all I have to do is work on LRC parts and weapons that arent archery weps.

I have a few bronze runics, is it worth making swords/fence/mace weps with these?

C

CatLord

Come spawn with us... and get some 120s!

Back to topic...

Good job Helping newcomers...

You should get in touch with the shard EM and work together!

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd love to come spawn with you guys.

Ive got my Chiv Archer..or my..well, Scribe mage..just watch out for his EVs or EQs if you get my drift ;)

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Threw up a vendor to sell some items to help me afford some of the stuff i wanna put in free, rune books etc.

Ive not got much, infact I got lucky at one spawn and have a 120 tactics, a +6 poisoning and +7 tinkering to sell, going for 5mil, 400k and 100k.

Hope thats an ok price point ^^

Gonna work on LRC items tomorrow and try and get some weps done tonight before I head off.

L

Legacyee

Great idea
i still have some black tables, and anything else i can make for you i will (free) don't be afraid to ask for more, and when you are finished, i think a Major rune drop is in order to let people know what you are doing.

Good luck with your project

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Big thanks to whoever has been dropping items in the chests, espically deco ones!

Also, i see some items have been taking, mainly lrc items or "low end" artifacts, gloves of the puglist etc. Hope they go to a good home!

Im going to try and get on tomorrow and finish the house up, then open it up properly via runes etc. I still need two training dummies facing south if anyone knows where i can get them?

Thanks again to everyone who's popped by and helped, pscrolls and weps are stocked up, even a fair few 115s. I just need to get LRC...however everytime i logg onto hunt i end up faction fighting lol. Then my g/f gives me THE look!

L

Legacyee

I think it's great to have some-where to put stuff that other peopl might use but I don't need any-more, far better than droping them on the ground at some bank:)

Training dummys are taking care of, I will put them in one of the boxes

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thats perfect.

Ive got a game of 5's tonight but ill hopefully not be in too late and able to finish the place off, try and get it open in the next few days as ill be afk for a week or so after that!

Thanks again Leg :)

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Quick update.

I think the house has now had 2 active players training in there, which is ace. So thanks to Pitr for pointing one in the direction, and thanks to whomever put the thousands, tens of thousands of materials into the spare chest.

Ive put full spell books and rune books (as of 4 days ago) into a chest too.

Anyway, i just wanted to say ive been off game for a few days, and wont be back on till NEXT weekend, so if the house gets empty my bad, will get it re-stocked next weekend.

Ta all.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys,

I just wanna say this project isent dead already. The house is possible running low on stock at the moment. I'm just getting my stuff done for my dissertation and also job/flat hunting.

I'm hoping to break into the games industry, either in design or perhaps aim lower for QA so ive been playing ALOT of games recently, mainly games certain firms have made so I can go into interviews prepared.

Hoping to hear back from a company or two this week, then I can get a new flat sorted and get back in game.

Anyway - Again cheers for all the support

F

Facehugga

Once i got oversight about my big armor mess i will have loads of BRK made pieces which i could spare for this.
Might be a good starting help for new players with items not really worth set on a vendor but still good enough for a newbie suit.

C

CatLord

Save me some lrc suits!
We have newcomers joining Drachs!

Yup, more "jamies"...

Thank you!

F

Facehugga

Well as soon i burned my BRK's i will be in need of new ones, loads of new ones - so i guess there will be few LRC pieces but i think most are going to my shop then, but i will also burn loads of spined which will give nice starting LRC armor too.

Just give me about 1 month until i got my shop mess over and all set up then ill be able to sort out the stuff not worth using space on the house ^^

C

Cat Crimson

Hey you :) see, you're all heart, no hiding it under that craggy pvp thief exterior :D I know you have been busy with rl stuff, et moi aussi, if you decide to find Siege not so lonely one day I still happily IOU an ethy.

I would be more than happy to help out with your project. There is nothing I love more than helping out new or returning players. It has given me some of my most satisfactory moments in UO. I am still using the works PC right now so UO action even on Drach is slow at best ( one of these days I will have the time and energy to sort out my own PC ) but can move around transporting stuff ok, what do you need ? I am off to Cornwall for a few days from tomorrow but let me know what I can provide and I'll set to it. More runebooks ( blank and filled with useful runes ) and recalls maybe ? I probably have some spare dye tubs also and deco stuff ?

Good luck with your job/home hunting, you deserve to have some fantastic game designing job !

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey guys - I'm back in game although I wont be on too often...

I just wanted to say thanks a lot to everyone who has dropped off things in my open-box for me to move to the boxes, I never thought the boxes would be this empty have a month, all I had left was Archer/Mace weapons...and A LOT of shoes (What the hell?)...

So aye, thanks alot guys. Ive started re-stocking but give me a few days - armour/weps/pscrolls will be stocked again by monday and ill logg in once a week to check on the stock levels, ill try and logg in more but last two exams and several interviews coming up so im gonna try and avoid playing too much.

So aye, thanks alot to everyone who took the time to leave me a message in my new notebook (thanks Sara!) and also drop off items. I'm aiming to get the shop fully running by the end of this month then get it posted in the New Player Corner - hopefully we can attract some new players.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Powerscrolls replenished thanks to generous donations. I also did a champ this morning and occasionally ran through Despise to pick up the scrolls dropped so they've been added also.

Next step is for me to make some new sword/fence weapons and some armour, most likely leather. After that ill sort out rune books and full spell books.

T

twoflower25

When I found this post I decided that it would be nice to start with a couple of chars on Drchenfels - playing on Europa usually, but it has been getting a bit boring there recently ...

So I started to work up a necromage and a tamer mage on different accounts on Drachs, I managed to get full lrc armors (resists still sucking ;) ), and for my tamer I found 110 taming, lore and vet scrolls at your house - would be nice to get some scrolls and other usefull stuff for my necro as well ...

Any support wellcome - looking for a nice guild to join also .... if I enjoy playing on Drachs, I would consider transferring one of my archers from Europa with some stuff - but I haven't decided on that yet ....

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
twoflower let me know what your looking for.

As ive said im hardly in game right now, so it means the New Player Project has taken a little of a back seat, however the hard work of everyone else has helped me keep it up.

Ill sort out some stuff for you, try and get you some better armour and a necro book (Which I actually need too).

As for a guild, im kind of in the same boat, Pitr is a good guy to talk to though - while I dont play too often he helped me find some guys I can roll with when I do have time to logg in.

Pitr post !

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Resources being updated at the moment - Leather/Ignots and Boards - so anyone making a mule nows the time :)

Furthmore I may try and work out a New Player Project dungeon crawl - depedning on the people that are interested and their skill level will have an outcome on the dungeon/area we go to.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some things i would like to give to you. You could hold on too them till you have all the pieces or explain to the ones you give them too how to get the remaining ones.

C

CatLord

K this is my project for Drachs...

1- spawners...
female elves, named jamie, light blue skin, blonde spiked hair.
mage necro weavers
(we can set you up)

2- pvpers...
female elves, named jamie, light blue skin, blonde spiked hair.
stealth necro mages in COM.
(we can set you up)

Plan...
the spawners have fun... the pvpers do the retribution to anyone that raids us.

Rules...
no foul language
no disrespect (to anyone)
no killing allies
no raiding unless raided first... twice.

GOAL:
unite the shard by destroying all raiders
create a strong respectfull community
have FUN
enjoy the WHOLE of UO... from crafting to Harrowers.

http://www.uoforums.com/uo-drachenfels-guilds/

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You really want a guild full of the same character/templates?

This brings me to a new question, ive logged in a few times and been asked what guilds can people join, honestly ive no idea? I have a guild for my character but Its hardly a guild....I also played with Pitr for a little while in PvM but im not even sure if their still going?

I guess my question is, Pitr assuming you are looking to work on a PvM and a PvP guild, would you consider changing your requirements, i.e do we all need to be called Jamie and have that template? I'm more than willing to help out when I can but im just not interested in name changing or building a new character, i'm going to build a necro after my exams but right now its not an option.

Also @ twoflower - Sorry lunch in town turned into 8 hours in town, lunch/shopping and dinner, my g/f can SHOP...all I got was a belt, although its an awesome belt with a batman belt buckle...and Ive decided what sound system im getting for my tv/xbox/ps3...but, sadly this means it wont be till tomorrow you get your necro book and a 110 magery (Assuming I find one).

C

CatLord

Not telling you what to do... telling you what we have.

You are welcomed to add your own view to the Circle... any character.

C

Cat Crimson

I have a GM scribe and can help out with rune books and spell books, just let me know.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@ Frarc - Thanks man, I got the pieces you mentioned, I've got a few of them myself and just trying to build up a suit or two to give away.

C

CatLord

Like I said... I'm not the boss, I dont tell you what to do.
Make a simple character if you feel like it... and join the fun.
We're destroying the raiders and learning some team work.
If you feel like joining... contact me... and lets rock Drachs.

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Or if not in an actual guild, just acting as a collective. That way no one has to take chars out of a guild.

C

Cat Crimson

I'm not too worried about taking characters out of a guild... out of choice I have only ever had a guild of own/friend's characters on Drachs, now its only me that plays, even though I hold their accounts :( I wouldn't dissolve [Wlf] but I have enough characters that it would make me happy for one or more of them to be part of something useful.

Although I guess there is the option of guild alliance.

C

CatLord

I would like to welcome all those that joined our spawning crew for the past three days.
Never thought we could start such a Movement...
I hope you have fun spawning and defending (if necessary)...
We will teach you how to field and secure the spawns while your tamers destroy the enemies...

Thank you for your trust.

Like someone said... weekly spawns, weekend harrowers.

ScottishHero

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I posted my ICQ in your forum Cat, add me when you get a chance. My last two exams are over on the 20th of May so i'd love to get some UO in.

C

Cat Crimson

'Alloes. Please to be distinguishing between the Cat's. ta muchly :)

C

Cat Crimson

No, cos it will all be full of head numbing codemonkey bizness and its all numbers and science and suchlike...... come back to me with literature, art or history and I'll do your flippin' revision :p

F

Facehugga

Now i found the house and made a first donation.

More stuff will follow soon.