• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Doubling revenue since F2P launch, success?

• Thread starter Docholiday
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
D

Docholiday

Turbine has announced the their revenue has doubled since the launch of F2P, check out this article for more details.

But my question is, do you consider this a success, and if so how much of a success?

For me, I think this is the tip of the iceberg for them and those numbers will continue to climb assuming they continue with new content as they've promised.

Valfelan

Visitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
new content? for us vets sure but it will take the new players many months to catch up to us in both level and crafting, i'm presently happy with the amount of content we have, Gondor, Rohan and Isengard should be what we see next, and lets not forget Fangorn forest. I would like to see Ents and not just the evil trees. I am looking forward to seeing the White Tree of Minas Tirith

D

Docholiday

Right, but there are many existing players who aren't playing as Enedwaith really didn't bring much long-term re-playability for end-game players. Certainly it will take a while for new players to get there but combining the new folks with the retention of existing (and those returning) players would push those numbers even higher.

Triberius

Firefall Moderator | LotRO Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Couple of thoughts, on this and comments presented in this discussion...

The Long term is more of an evident factor in how well the F2P works, will the revenue's keep going up or are they going to level off like they are now. It's a success either way, but there is always the possibility that those numbers drop. Turbine has to make money off the game, but at the same time there are numerous complaints that they went a bit extreme on what they require Turbine Point purchases for, there is always the possibility that this will eventually drive players away. I'm just not ready to herald this as a Glorious success yet, since the long term outcome hasn't been determined as of yet.

As for future content: It's more money that F2P people will have to cough up, some though will draw the line and say "No More" the economy is tight, not everyone is going to be willing to continually drop $$$ on a game advertised as F2P.

As for End Game: MMO's shouldn't have it, and for the most part they don't, but players seem to associate a certain phase character development as "End Game", it's fictional MMO's are constantly evolving, ever growing, that's why we get "Expansion Packs".