• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Doom - Condensed and Equal

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hi, can someone help to explain what this means. UO wiki says "equal" is related to GSS, but what is condensed?

Also like to know if killing the monsters on the Doom side apart from Gauntlet, does it count towards the GSS or only the bosses in Gauntlet?

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi, can someone help to explain what this means. UO wiki says "equal" is related to GSS, but what is condensed?

Also like to know if killing the monsters on the Doom side apart from Gauntlet, does it count towards the GSS or only the bosses in Gauntlet?
If you mean the drop chance from bosses, only boss kills count toward that.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And don't forget, some bright spark decided to add "prized" artefacts to the Arti drop list....
So 80% of the time your just gonna get some naff "prized" artefact for your hard work clearing the Gauntlet.
It's why the gauntlet is now empty, nobody wants to put in that much work over and over just for the chance of a piece of junk loot.....

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
None of it matters, I'm in the group that believes that some accounts are simply "tagged" to not get drops of any kind. I've never gotten any, on anything, since ever.

I'm in the same boat... I'm 100% convinced that my account was given a HUGE Negative luck value when it comes to anything much at all.... and I'm forever doomed to have to work 100X harder than most to "get" a drop of anything but garbage.

I can't even count the number of Doom runs I did for years getting NOTHING... Until finally just before a change in how drops work..... I get the freaking Dragon Lance... pile of poo... Was so excited to get the message too.... and then... yeah.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My experience is I will try and try with one char and never get a drop...I will later log a different character on and go do something else that has a drop and get one?

rinse and repeat Its like the the whole drop system is connected to my account rather than per character... this has been going on with my toons since aos!

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Ok but my question was, the wiki separated the arties into 2 groups, one is Equal and another is Condensed. What does this mean towards our chance to get them?

As for my experience and feedback for Doom:
1) The drop on the DF is pathetic. Can we have more high end loots like Legendary or Major Arties? I also heard it's not for tamers, which is possibly the best template to wear a luck suit with a good damage output. So if depending on luck, it would never happen for a bunch of warriors. The loot needs to be improved... even if we don't get any drop at least we get some useful leg or maj.
2) High wear on equipment durability... basically have to repair every 2 fights esp if there are 2 DF each = 4. Add that to para 1: high wear rate on our expensive hard to find equipment and yet no chance it getting a good piece to replace after so many fights with X durability lost.
3) I fought about 10-15 DF before getting my first drop which is a recipe for the cuffs of archmage... then my Friend got an arty after 3 or 4 DF... so I think if you don't drop after a long period it might build up to a better drop. Just my guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
In every MMORPG there is "that guy" who thinks he has a bad loot seed, or was cursed by a GM...and will never get a drop. Coincidence or fact? Had a friend in WOW that was convinced this was true of his character as well.

I think it would be hilarious if it were true...say if the devs had a "Curse of *insert name here*" debuff they could place on naughty players. If cursed you would have to go on a long, tedious quest to get rid of it.

Not only would you get no loot, you would do -1 damage, no crits, no skill gains, take double damage from mobs, and for no reason you would suddenly drop dead at random intervals. NPCs would tell you that your breath stinks like a ratman whose had too much moldy cheese.

In Minecraft, there is an add on that lets GM's turn the naughties into a potato, and other hilarious curses.

Last edited:

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Referring to this?

Artifacts – Doom Gauntlet – Ultima Online

So, all the of the items that are listed as "Condensed" all fall under a single drop

1. Random Recipe
2. Prized Artifact
3. Bow of Infinite Swarm
4. Gauntlets Nobility
5. Glenda
6. Hat of The Magi
7. Leggings of Bane
8. Midnight Bracers
9. Ornament of the Magician
10. Ring of Elements
11. Scholars Halo
12. Shadow Dancer Leggings
13. Staff of the Magi
14. The Deceiver
15. Random Condensed Artifact

So you have a 1/15 Chance that when you do get a drop that it picks one of these. If it lands on the condensed slot, then it picks one of the condensed items at random. Looks like there are 25 condensed (Could be wrong I am tired).

So your odds of getting a specific Condensed artiact are 1/(15*25) or 1/375.

Hope that helps

Sauteed Onion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
I think it would be hilarious if it were true...say if the devs had a "Curse of
Not only would you get no loot, you would do -1 damage, no crits, no skill gains, take double damage from mobs, and for no reason you would suddenly drop dead at random intervals. NPCs would tell you that your breath stinks like a ratman whose had too much moldy cheese.
Sounds like a day in the life of Atlantic.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In every MMORPG there is "that guy" who thinks he has a bad loot seed, or was cursed by a GM...and will never get a drop. Coincidence or fact? Had a friend in WOW that was convinced this was true of his character as well.

I think it would be hilarious if it were true...say if the devs had a "Curse of *insert name here*" debuff they could place on naughty players. If cursed you would have to go on a long, tedious quest to get rid of it.

In Minecraft, there is an add on that lets GM's turn the naughties into a potato, and other hilarious curses.
It's not a thing, some people are just unlucky just as others are lucky. It's just how it happens. If it didn't it wouldn't be random.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It's not a thing, some people are just unlucky just as others are lucky. It's just how it happens. If it didn't it wouldn't be random.
I know a guy who regularly gets crap all the time.... that's not just random "luck" .... it's disgusting. Self same guy got two ornies off two consecutive DFs...

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Referring to this?

Artifacts – Doom Gauntlet – Ultima Online

So, all the of the items that are listed as "Condensed" all fall under a single drop

1. Random Recipe
2. Prized Artifact
3. Bow of Infinite Swarm
4. Gauntlets Nobility
5. Glenda
6. Hat of The Magi
7. Leggings of Bane
8. Midnight Bracers
9. Ornament of the Magician
10. Ring of Elements
11. Scholars Halo
12. Shadow Dancer Leggings
13. Staff of the Magi
14. The Deceiver
15. Random Condensed Artifact

So you have a 1/15 Chance that when you do get a drop that it picks one of these. If it lands on the condensed slot, then it picks one of the condensed items at random. Looks like there are 25 condensed (Could be wrong I am tired).

So your odds of getting a specific Condensed artiact are 1/(15*25) or 1/375.

Hope that helps
Thank you for your time, this helps a lot and it makes sense.

afk

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know a guy who regularly gets crap all the time.... that's not just random "luck" .... it's disgusting. Self same guy got two ornies off two consecutive DFs...
from my experience, it differs per character. I have one char who gets drops like crazy in lady M but never gets anything in doom or champs and is only average at others. Also have characters that do extremely well in one place but abysmal at pretty much all others. It seem like the loot drops i get, it never gives the character i am on something they can use, but rather it gives loot for other templates. My mage gets good drops for fighters and my fighters get good mage drops ect...

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It is luck. There are two elements at play here, one being perception, which is often highly flawed, leaving people (due to incorrect/incomplete information, and/or selection bias) with actually average luck to believe they are "cursed".
The second and most important being that with randomization over a wide set, while most of us will land in the middle some will be on the low end of the curve, and some will be on the high end, it's just how probability works. It's like this in every single game that uses randomization for rewards, and in every game there will be those who claim they or a friend have been cursed to get bad drops.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On two different accounts I have two identical toons wearing identical luck suits. One rarely gets a drop the other consistently gets drops. I figure the RNG hates the one and loves the other :)

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The best reward systems are the Tokuno Treasures and Kotl city events. Most of players like them. We have a lot of game contents but the rewards are outdated. Remaining at 10 years ago. Perhaps the future publish should revamp the reward systems to this style.

Jovi

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
The best reward systems are the Tokuno Treasures and Kotl city events. Most of players like them. We have a lot of game contents but the rewards are outdated. Remaining at 10 years ago. Perhaps the future publish should revamp the reward systems to this style.
Yes, same as Blackthorn also. This would allow us to select which arty to exchange for. However, it is not exciting as the RNG drop system.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
We all know about the soo called famous RNG in game, well that same system is in place when creating an account, maybe people are taking it too much to extremes, but it is true, so people are luckier than others, I do belive the game RNG does scale the accs with some added luck, not negative to make it harder but a lower number, say 1-100, some accs will have maybe 10-20 range and some others will be in the 80-90 range, meaning they have a slight more chance than a drop, never will it be negative to stop you, but maybe just make your chances not be soo high that is all.

Aeneas

Adventurer
On two different accounts I have two identical toons wearing identical luck suits. One rarely gets a drop the other consistently gets drops. I figure the RNG hates the one and loves the other :)
Do you solo the bosses with the same 2 chars?

If I remember correctly, the first check is to see if there is a drop (this calculation include luck properties). The second check is to see who gets that drop this cals has nothing to do with luck. Unless you solo the bosses, the chance of getting anything is very small. Even with soloing, we are talking about one drop every 25 bosses or so here.

That's how the old Doom drop calculated. The new system is similar to Tokuno point system which also mean kill one heck of a lot to get anything. I am not sure what the definition of kill is in the Tokuno system, the one who deal the killing blow or the one doing the most damage.