• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Does anyone know....

S

Sunrise

it should be possible, but is there a way to save the text that goes on in journals? If possible how then? Thanks.

Nine Dark Moons

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sunrise, there is a way. I don't totally remember, but I can figure it out for you later if no one else can give you a quick answer. I tried saving my journals briefly, but the files got so huge that it would affect how UO ran on my comp so I gave up. I think it would make me run out of virtual memory but I can't be sure...

Crysta

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Should be an option to save the journal to a text file somewhere in the options menu.

B

BartofCats

why not just inscribe copy the book to a blank book in your pack?

nevermind... thats not what you meant. I better get another coffee.
only other thing i can think of is doing the photos of the screen make journal as big as you can. less bits saves... bigger hassle.

D

Devil_Woman

You must do this for each character whose journal you want to save.

Open up the uo.cfg file in a text editor (Notepad will do). Above the line that looks like this
;------------------------------
add a line with the path to where you want the journal to save, like this
JournalSaveFile=c:\uolog\uolog.txt
now find the line below that says "SaveJournal=off" and change "off" to "on".

It's been a very long time since I originally did this so I don't recall if it's really necessary to "seed" the file, but it wouldn't hurt. If you specified a directory (folder) that doesn't exist for your path, create the folder now. Open up Notepad and create a blank .txt file in that folder named whatever you specified in the uo.cfg file. For example, I save mine to a folder named uolog off the root directory (c drive). So I would create a folder whose path is c:/uolog. Then I would open Notepad and create a blank file saved in that directory named uolog.txt.

Now log into the game on the character you did this for and make sure the option to Save Journal is checked/on in the game options. I don't recall where this is, but then it will also depend on which client you're using. It should show on now. Log out and check the file to see if the journal saved.

Remember, you must make the uo.cfg changes for every character whose journal you want to save. Also, the journal will keep adding to the end each time you enter and exit the game. Eventually it could become a quite large file so plan on either deleting some as it gets too large, or creating backups of olders ones you want to keep.

You might also want to check into the UO Journal Converter which gives you the ability to convert the journal to html files and has options to color the names of your characters, your friends, your enemies, all differently and will also allow you to automatically edit out some things, such as all the "you see..." lines.