• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Docks... anyone else got some?

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi guys, wondering if anyone else has requested the addition of docks to their cities? If so, anyone gotten that request executed? Could you show me?

Thanks,

~ Sue.

Kirthag

Former Stratics Publisher
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
From what we were told on Napa, my understanding is that to have static map changes, we need to have a concerted effort of governors across the shards. That mean, anything static, including docks or bridges for cities like Minoc & Yew.

We, as governors, can make the request, but the EMs can only pass that info on to the devs who approve/disprove of the idea.

If approved, then the change(s) will be made to all shards - not just one or two. Most likely will be a map change which will come down with a patch if my memory serves.

So... I know I've begged for docks in Yew in Napa, and you want them for Minoc on Cats....

Any other Governors wanting in on this bandwagon before the new elections?

Bianca_CoD

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kirthag, see that makes perfect sense. I wish our EM's would have explained that to us in that way. They just told us NO with very little explanation.

Now there are other towns that have docks built, prior to the Governorship System, without interference of the map files. On Catskills, we have Red Skull Bay, which has a custom dock soooooo beautifully done that its warms my heart to just think about it.

Yew should have a dock near the bank in my opinion... I have often wondered why it was never granted such a thing since Yew has farmers that would surely benefit from a dock to export their goods to much faster than by foot. It is the same for Minoc... a miner's town, they would need a dock and ship yard to export their iron to the other cities. I mean in character that makes perfect sense to me.

~ Sue.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Both Tanda and I asked for Docks in Minoc and Yew respectively on GL's. We were denied.

Yew has a Shipmaster.... Why no dock? Seems silly IMO.... talked about where the dock should go right there to the West of the Flour Mill.... nice stretch of flat shoreline there would be PERFECT for a Dock. Mentioned it in a VERY RP oriented letter to the King.

Was denied. Also in a VERY RP manner asked for a bridge or transport system a teleporter even would be fine to go from the end of the road south of town to the other side of the bay so we could more quickly get to the Yew Far Farm way out there on the other side of the bay without having to run all the way out of town and around the bay to get there... Also DENIED.

Asked about planting flowers and putting in a few benches or something to "beautify" my fair City that I love... Denied.

What I wouldn't give to build a more proper memorial for our Beloved Dawn but I've a feeling that too would be denied.

Asked to get a seatting area for having wine tastings up on the roof of the winery as some other shards have... DENIED.

Seems a common theme. So in frustration I asked at the last Governors meeting EXACTLY WHAT is an acceptable proposal that won't be denied. I was told to look to Atlantic's charter thing to see what "might" be ok... Honestly ...... Atlantic doesn't seem to even follow it's own charter so what good is that???

I'm fairly well disgusted with the whole thing. Vesper got their Stable after asking for one for what..... 12 years now. Maybe in another 12 years or so I can get a Dock for Yew.

Last edited:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not a Governor, but I do know that on Atlantic, both Yew and Minoc asked for docks. I heard they were approved, but have yet to be built. Another item that I believe was approved were roadsigns in Yew. They also have yet to be built, but then, Yew's current Governor has done nothing regarding it, and the former Governor who made the request has been busy.

Speranza

Slightly Crazed
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Chesapeake Minoc reporting in.

I've asked for Docks and while I have not been denied I have been told it is a difficult task to be completed. Blackthorn said that due to decades of smelting and so much slag run of have made the ground in Lost Hope Bay unstable and they are having troubles getting one built due to this. Nice RP by my EMs more or less, but because of this RP reason and the success we had RPing the beautification of Vesper (We invited the shard to grow plants in Magincia and donate them to Vesper among other things) I'll be running a month long storyline over December ending in a New Years celebration aimed at "solving this issue" regardless if it means we get docks or not.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not a Governor, but I do know that on Atlantic, both Yew and Minoc asked for docks. I heard they were approved, but have yet to be built. Another item that I believe was approved were roadsigns in Yew. They also have yet to be built, but then, Yew's current Governor has done nothing regarding it, and the former Governor who made the request has been busy.
i'm not just ignoring the road signs, the rules were changed so only 1 large scale request per term is allowed, and the citizens at the Tuesday meeting already had me request that the ankh in the abbey be activated to allow the tithing of gold instead.

Last edited:

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i'm not just ignoring the road signs, the rules were changed so only 1 large scale request per term is allowed, and the citizens at the Tuesday meeting already had me request that the ankh in the abbey be activated to allow the tithing of gold instead.
The roadsigns were already approved as far as I recall. It was simply a fact that names and locations needed to be decided for them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That's a very good request... Let me know how that works out for you.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
with the new elections - we see how this goes.

I like the idea of the ankh in the Yew Abbey be activated for tithing (being a paladin and long time Yew resident on Napa).

However, since that item is a static change - there might be better reception for the devs if more than just a couple of govenors ask for it.

to whit, maybe after this election the governors across all shards should communicate to concert their efforts for static changes.

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Ok, am still Yew Governor on Napa and yes, at our first council meeting I pitched Yew having Docks.

How many other Yew Governors are pitching, and if not, WHY NOT?

Oh, and we might have someone (finally) being Gov. of Minoc, another city in dire need of docks.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It seems like every shards had a yew governor request a dock, definitely a very popular and long overdue addition to the city.

TehanChesapeake

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am the Yew Gov on Chesapeake, and have requested docks fo the city, which practically and RP'ing speaking would make a lot of sense, and was DENIED as well by the King himself. Instead he spoke of an elusive Caravan Waypoint. I have asked the King and EMs more details about his waypoint, to no avail.. no answer by email by the EMs, and the King changed subject when I asked.

Tough to get anything going on when we keep getting denied, or getting NO support or answers when needed..

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Which is why we need to have a concerted effort across the shards.

When speaking to the EM on Napa - our governors were told that this type of "static change" happens across all shards. Look at our cute little governor offices - those are static. We on Napa lost a bit of our shard-specific history for that little bitty office, and it has hurt greatly. All because it is a "static change".

So - to facilitate Yew (or any city for that matter) to have such a fundamental change instituted, we need to justify it across all shards.

If we can come up with a formal proposal, coordinate across the shards, justify the need (RP and logistically) - and propose this to our king, believe we might get somewhere.

So... if the rest of the Yew Governors have the inclination, we should organize, eh?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Was there multi-shard campaign for the stables in Vesper, or was it just Atl that asked? I'm willing to bet that the dock request in Yew and Minoc is nearly universal, this issue is just highlighting the glaring inconsistencies in the governor program.

This thread has raised a few other points that I think the governors need to speak up about:

1 - The King (i.e. EMs) ignoring valid RP from governors or sidestepping valid questions.

2 - Ignoring emails. Latest example, GL is going to do a horse race around the Britannian continent and all the governors are involved. I sent an email a WEEK AGO detailing the race and asking if we could at least get the in-city race markers locked down. (GL has a major griefer problem) I have yet to receive a response. The race is on the 25th, our next council meeting is on the 18th.

Current consensus amongst the governors on GL is that its simply not worth bothering to request things. :(

Last edited:

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We found out on Napa that the King is not always the EM. Sometimes it is "someone else" and we don't know who that is... could be a GM or a dev for all we know. There is a script and series of tasks the staff at Mythic must perform while they are interacting with us (so we've been told on Napa). I personally think that's a sucky thing - for each shard is a bit different. To note: Napa had a wall around Yew, and we liked it there. And I, as governor, followed the citizens' requests to KEEP our wall. it was removed for that silly little governor office that personally, I don't use. Does ANYONE use those little offices?! Almost all faith in the governor program was lost for me at that point, and obviously the people of Napa's Yew.. for no one voted. No one. I "won" an election of no contest with no one even voting. Sad if you ask me.

Anyway... that is far off point and my opinion doesn't matter. What matters is what Mythic is willing to do - regardless of what we ask for be it as comprehensive, legitimate and wanted.

What we (on Napa) have basically surmised is that the governor program doesn't quite work the way its designed. "Other things" get in the way, and as such we have to still do our own thing. Honestly, if the program isn't working, then it is kinda sorta up to us to make it work. We can just "pooh pooh" the throne and do what we've always done - events and such in our own way without the "blessings" of the "king".

Napa had a rather good community and the leaders of guilds would do things. Since population drop and shard migrations happened, Napa has become a rather sleepy little shard which is greatly ignored by the staff (all of whom are East Coast). Sad, but that is the consensus.

Honestly, I'd rather put on a William Wallace type rebellion and tell the throne what they can do with their plans. Might get me banned... however with all the new games coming out, that might not be such a bad thing....

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Personally I would love to see what would happen if a shard wide protest against the king was organized, where no governors would attend their king meeting until certain things were done for each shard...such as a dock for yew/minoc. they clearly are ignoring everyone anyways. also, I see people from other shards saying their request for a yew dock was denied, the Atlantic request was actually approved in the first meeting of the first term, and they have completely ignored it ever since...if they say no that's one thing, but changing their mind randomly doesn't seem fair at all.

Last edited:

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Great Lakes had a request granted today, 30 banners (white gargish banners) locked down to help denote the course for our Trans-Britannia Derby (http://stratics.com/community/threads/trans-britannia-derby.310186/ & http://gl.uorpc.net). The banners are temporary of course.

We've had one other thing approved last term, a snowball machine for Britain that would have given timered snow piles for a snowball fight we held in December. We weren't able to utilize it however, as this wasn't announced until the day before the event and what the EMs wanted us to do to create the machine would have taken over a month and a half. :(

Kirthag

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Well, the next council meeting for Napa will be, if anything, very interesting. If anyone wants to come and watch as events unfold, our next council meeting is on the 26th at 7pm PDT.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Bianca/Ariana put that request in sometime in October of last year. Been over 5 months...

We definitely need to see this happen. Minoc (and Yew) should have had docks at launch. It's a miners/smiths town that's big on trade. Transporting goods on foot is taxing and unsafe! Hehe.

http://stratics.com/community/threads/minoceans-proposed-ideas-for-improvements-to-minoc.305248/

It's a very dangerous ride from Yew to Britain. Filled with Liches and briggands if you go one way... swamp makes it impossible to go the other way... horses would get stuck in the swamp and often die to plague... And at least on GL's we have to worry all the time about the Slavers.... who pick off the unweary... So many have gone missing over the last few years. We really needed that Dock. I've already had to ask Citizens living on the far side of Yew across the bay to move to the Abbey and abandon their farms because we can't patrol all the way out there across the bay too hard to get all the way around the time taken to ride that far out is just too much. Without a ferry or bridge simply can not spare the men to go that far. We need to protect the Abbey and the Courts..... as well as the mainland town and Heartwood entrance. With the moongate so far out of town it's just too much to go out there. But we were denied the bridge. I considered asking Ariel to come and tell the King about her abduction by the Slavers and tell him about the loss of income due to being unable to harvest or plant the fields in the far farms where her family lives... but he seemed uninterested in helping the citizens of Skara Brae who had been maliciously poisoned and bombed... he didn't wish to bother the wounded or offer his support to them. Maybe he feared catching their illness. Sadly many of them died of their wounds... One would have thought an accomplished Mage such as he is would have wanted to help them... but alas he did not.

TehanChesapeake

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Chessy, we've had an uprise in orc activites from the south. They even launched a full scale attack on the Abbey, during a meeting.

I will have the guards deployed to man the towers to the south, but the road is totally unsafe these days.

I was denied a prior request for docks, but I will insist, as sea seems the only viable way for trading and transportation of goods right now..

Tehan, Governor of Yew
Chesapeake.

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As Governor of Minoc, Europa, and 10 year veteran of the Guardsmen Militia in Yew, Europa, I must add my voice to the multitude of others. At the very least, docks in the North would vastly improve the King's anti-piracy operations. At present, the nearest ports are Vesper and Skara, both of which are long sails away. By the time ships arrive on the scene, hostilities are long over and the pirates have escaped. Indeed, vessels can be dispatched from Trinsic or Jhelom.. but sailing around the globe isn't very cost effective, surely?

The village of Cove was gifted with such a boon that is Europa specific.

Last edited: