• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do you play SA client?

S

SUPRsalad

Before spending millions on a new, dumb client that does not even feel like our game, maybe they should have asked us, the ten year loyal vets, what WE wanted..

Can you even use mouse-wheel/keys?

I am going to try it, just so i can say I gave it an honest try, just so i can continue bashing it, IN the event it is what I think it is = epic failure.

I'll let you all know what I think. Those of you who know me, know I am not a biased man, and I WILL give it an honest shot. Who knows, maybe I'll love it? Coming from the only guy who gave gargoyles an honest chance in fel, you know I will tell it how it is..

Here is my latest rant on the abomination that is SA client:
http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?p=1506573#post1506573

edit: downloading, and installing now.. Who knows, maybe my wife will even like it?? The woman who refuses to play UO because the female toons are 'ugly', thus, the woman who has dubbed my beloved game
'The Oregon Trail'

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just keep in mind the new client is still in beta, and is constantly evolving I like it its not really 3d based like the past failures and you have the option to make everything classic while keeping the New UI its kinda cool.

S

SUPRsalad

huh?? Can you expand on that Kaleb?? What do you mean 'keep everything classic?'

Mostly, its the map that I am interested to see... Im going into this with a + attitude, but I am honestly expecting an epic fail.

G

Gellor

I tried it again earlier this week just for the same reason.

After fresh download, first thing that struck me was "GD Diablo-ish style layout". I don't mind Diablo-ish layout... but that style just isn't UO to me.

Second thing was the graphics. Some were exceptional but way too many were butt ugly. Paper doll is case in point.

Another big strike to me is the lack of UO Auto Map tracking features that PvP guilds use.:thumbdown: There is some hope with a recently produced UOAM replacement... but there is the issue related to server functions of it.

Another big strike is some of the missing UO Assist features... sell agent for example.

And of course, the kicker is when the GF looks over and asks "WTF is that? THAT isn't UO.":mf_prop::stir:

I will admit, I didn't use any skins or mods or whatever you want to call them. To me, that is a big time cop out on EA's part. Produce garbage and then pray someone else can take the time to make it look good:thumbdown:

Someone in Uhall presented what I think is the best idea: high-res classic client. Add in the EC map features and "mod" features.

S

SUPRsalad

Wow, scratching my head wondering why i am wasting 1.5 gigs to install this thing..

I am a trooper..

S

SUPRsalad

It is kind of like a train wreck... you don't want to look but you do anyways:eyes:
heheh, like i said, I'm a trooper.....

oh & edit: STILL downloading, I think it might be stuck at 98%..... Im a trooper, but if this thing fails to initialize, its a done deal for gemma..

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Classic as in movement, Art exc,exc except that you keep the WoWish interface. Its not a bad client so far, like I said they still consider it beta but I dont use it for the reasons stated by gellor, No good Uoam, No features from uoassist though the creators of uoa are working on a version for the new client.

S

SUPRsalad

yeah, so, i spent SEVERAL hours going through the new client..
I posted my findings on the thread i posted above..
Does not look good..

I honestly don't see any difference between it, and the old 3d client..
My computer barely handled it, and it ran at around 300,000 kb rather than the 14,000 kb 2d runs..

I had 20 or so other complaints, as well as 2 or 3 features I really liked..

All-in-all, its an abomination..Ill be deleting now..

edit: my wife hated it. 'even uglier' she said..

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I liked it when I went to options and set everything to classic, makes it look like old 2d UO just with a better UI, I did notice a performance jump when I did change to classic also. I still prefer the old client though, being that at least 10/12 years of playing I have used UOAM/UOA with UO and cant play it with out. Bus as the new client gos Its a good start, Better than the past 2 attempts and is a good medium to get people who are used to the WoWish interface to try UO. The devs have stated that the new enhanced client is far from done thus I cannot commit to like or hate. As with all things in UO give them time to work on it, it will come out great. take the latest expansion for example.

S

SUPRsalad

I will check out the 'classic' settings, but as far as I can tell, until UOassist puts out a version for it, theres no WAY you can pvp with this client.

I AM going to check out this uocartographer thing here in a sec.. I will take screens and post them. Honestly, THIS thing sounds REALLY promising, and I would not be surprised if there are paid hosts for the program real soon.
frankly, its actually a little exciting..

edit: for those that haven't heard, uocartog is a program JUST like uoam, cept it is supported, and up-to-date..

more to come..

LordTesla

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I did, was DLed it, and casted EVERY spell there is in UO to see changes, used EVERY skill. As I did with 3D and KR...

I ran around to check lag, I ran through all the lands and checked out as many monsters as I could find...

Sadly, they need to stop trying with this client, unless they REALLY get serious and shove it down our throats and delete 2d... However, there is talk that the 2d client is the ONLY thing saving this game.

I did not like it, but did not dislike it enough to delete it yet.

Magdalene

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The day they delete 2D they can as well close the servers, that many people will quit.

KalVasTENKI

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The day they delete 2D they can as well close the servers, that many people will quit.
That is the damned truth. What they need to do is promote 2d by opening a dedicated pre-AOS origin server... They would gain money and subscribers from this..

S

SUPRsalad

i know, right? Its confusing.. I honestly just think they are stupid.. no joke.. i mean if money is what they care about...

They keep trying to turn uo into something its not: wow..

Stop trying to 'compete with the big-dogs' and open your mother ****ing ears/eyes...

M

Malador

That is the damned truth. What they need to do is promote 2d by opening a dedicated pre-AOS origin server... They would gain money and subscribers from this..
What they need to do is apply the same development concepts that microsoft uses i.e. if people use it with UO, buy the author out and add that functionality into UO. UO Assists functions should have long ago been made integral to the 2d UO. Automap functionality should have long ago been added. a voice chat system should have long ago been added. Many of the new perks in SA should have been added to the 2d client. Cheats should have been prevented.

In stead they spent development money giving us one expansion after another that did nothing to retain or add subscribers and nothing to improve the functionality of the game. Sure it made them a quick buck but it could have meant wow subscriber levels.

L

lols

I got into the closed beta for SA and never really played because I couldn't even figure out how to effing use the SA client.

After 10 years I am too used to UO to want to try it any other way. Without the 2d client, UO isn't UO to me, it's just another game.

M

Malador

I got into the closed beta for SA and never really played because I couldn't even figure out how to effing use the SA client.

After 10 years I am too used to UO to want to try it any other way. Without the 2d client, UO isn't UO to me, it's just another game.
You know it is all of that for most people too but more to the point most people just think it looks really ugly and is hard on the eyes.

Pink Floyd

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Same exact situation. I never figured out how to log onto the beta so I gave up. I recently installed SA and uninstalled it after about 5 mins of testing.

Kaleb

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Same exact situation. I never figured out how to log onto the beta so I gave up. I recently installed SA and uninstalled it after about 5 mins of testing.
Funny, I did beta 99.5% of the time classic client. Guess ya all missed that option lol.

L

lols

yeah, I didn't know I could do it in classic until someone mentioned it once we were in open beta.

S

SUPRsalad

What they need to do is apply the same development concepts that microsoft uses i.e. if people use it with UO, buy the author out and add that functionality into UO. UO Assists functions should have long ago been made integral to the 2d UO. Automap functionality should have long ago been added. a voice chat system should have long ago been added. Many of the new perks in SA should have been added to the 2d client. Cheats should have been prevented.

In stead they spent development money giving us one expansion after another that did nothing to retain or add subscribers and nothing to improve the functionality of the game. Sure it made them a quick buck but it could have meant wow subscriber levels.
Amen..

*applause*

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I ran the SA client and it's really not that bad. There were three reasons it's not PvP ready, but now only 2.

UOCartographer eliminated my concern about map. My problem was how can I use the EC when no one else in my guild does, we won't be able to stick together with Map.

Playing a dexer - The weapon switch / rearm macros suck. You can't equip last switch from a 2 hander to a 1 hander. The only way I've found to do it is to set a macro to cast a spell and then equip a specific weapon. It will freeze you for a second though when you try to cast, when you re-equip it will fizzle the spell. I need to be able to fluidly switch weapons on a dexer while on the run.

Playing a mage - I occupy the entire left 1/2 of my keyboard with macros. Every combination of alt and ctrl + another key. The macros with control are very unresponsive, I can't explain it. When I try to cast quickly some macros never go off.

That being said, I really like the macros and the hot bar set up. If you know how to make a macro you can do most anything. I did not have a problem with the client being slow on my computer. If they would fix the casting with the control key problem I would probably play on my mage exclusively in the EC.

S

SUPRsalad

I ran the SA client and it's really not that bad. There were three reasons it's not PvP ready, but now only 2.

UOCartographer eliminated my concern about map. My problem was how can I use the EC when no one else in my guild does, we won't be able to stick together with Map.

Playing a dexer - The weapon switch / rearm macros suck. You can't equip last switch from a 2 hander to a 1 hander. The only way I've found to do it is to set a macro to cast a spell and then equip a specific weapon. It will freeze you for a second though when you try to cast, when you re-equip it will fizzle the spell. I need to be able to fluidly switch weapons on a dexer while on the run.

Playing a mage - I occupy the entire left 1/2 of my keyboard with macros. Every combination of alt and ctrl + another key. The macros with control are very unresponsive, I can't explain it. When I try to cast quickly some macros never go off.

That being said, I really like the macros and the hot bar set up. If you know how to make a macro you can do most anything. I did not have a problem with the client being slow on my computer. If they would fix the casting with the control key problem I would probably play on my mage exclusively in the EC.
I noticed the same things about the 'unresponsive' ctr+ macros. I do like the 'hotbar' idea.. I found a lOT of things i liked, actually, and scratched my head wondering why at least SOME of them can't be forwarded into the CC...