• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Discussion] Do these items have a place in our community?

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi everyone, I'm starting this thread in regards to a conversation I had with Manticore a couple of days ago and it was he that urged me to post something as to get some sort of community involvement, essentially to see what all of you think.
Now as many of you know I am a resident of Treasure Trove on Atlantic, Ez to my right, Tomas across from me and our newest resident Suzzy to the west of me. I've always been very proud of our guild and the dedication we have to our community, but i'm getting off topic. The point of this thread is a question i'm asked every so often, Are Sewn by and Made by items rare? I myself really only collect the footwear with those two tags. But my question is do these items have a place in the community. I think they do because it isn't as if I can just go down to the tailors and order up a pair of boots Made by Smurfette or Sewn by Jethro. Not to mention all of the variables, boots Made by Coll [Exceptional] (blessed), I don't know about the rest of the community but i've only seen a few pairs in all my time with that tag. Sewn by boots that are double blessed, very very hard to come by. Obviously this applies to other forms of clothing as well, I just have always stuck with footwear because when I first started collecting finding a pair of shoes with mods was obsenely rare and I could still hunt and wear my shoes/boots/sandals without taking up any armor space. My solution to this is something that would be a point system to match Manticores point system, respectively. A few examples I have in mind are as follows:

Boots Sewn by Frank (blessed) would count as one point as they are easily the hardest to find in my opinion.
Shoes sewn by Little Richard, now these would be considered as would any sewn by clothing as just that, sewn by clothing. In other words it would take 5 pieces of these to equal one point.

Shoes Made by Crickett [Exceptional] (blessed) although these are made by they are once again extremely hard to come by and should recieve one point as well.
Boots made by Urd [Exceptional] a common misconception with made by items is that the [Exceptional] in brackets is some sort of special tag. It is not special at all in fact, that is just the way the game at the time showed that the item was exceptionaly made. In fact in all my time i've never seen a Made By item that did not have [Exceptional] in brackets. So these pieces like the normal sewn by pieces would require 5 pieces to equal one point.

Suits! If you own an entire suit of made by or sewn by armor, all by the same character, all the same type of armor than that should be 1 point as well.

Now these are all just ideas and i'm very curious to see what you all think, especially to speak with collectors of the same type of items. I know names are a big factor when it comes to these types of items but i'm just thinking in terms of a point system. Thanks!

Athelas [Treasure Trove] Atlantic

S

Suzzy

Names are always a factor in regards to any rare item and should be taken into account.

If I have two of the same item, say those orc helms that have been floating around, I'd rather have a more elaborate interesting name, than something more common.

Anyway, I've always considered Sewn by stuff as a rare, but that's just me. Each items value is different depending on a similar measuring scale that you would hold to an EM created rare.

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thanks for submitting this Athelas! It certainly needs figuring out....

I agreed in totality with your point system and it's reasoning. The one problem that I hope it doesn't cause *is* regarding the particular name on the item. For example, I owned a half apron sewn by singer and was selling at the Rares Fest. I felt that this was a wonderful name and could get a premium price for it. Now, just because I think it is a great name, doesn't necessarily mean that everyone in our community has to agree.

That being said, I believe the "name" on the item should not be applicable to our Point System for judging the actual number of items a museum has. We simply should look at individual items or sets with the same name. Also, when judging if a set is complete, there should be at least 5 pieces of same name in the set, imho. For example, I've got a sewn by suit that only has 4 pieces and I don't consider it complete.

Athelas

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thankyou Suzzy and Lykor for your comments, its nice to see two heavyweights like yourselves take an interest in these sorts of items.

As for the names I am in total agreement that they are very important, if not the most important. I have a pair of Boots made by Smurfette and a pair of shoes sewn by Lord Mr. Money that get far more attention than 2 pairs of shoes sewn by two of atl's oldest and most popular tailors. But as Lykor said it could be very difficult to work out a point system when the name is involved. I've been batting around ideas and thats why this thread is a good idea, perhaps as a group we could come up with something. I just hate to see these items ignored when it comes to collections, since I know of several people that have spent much time and gold seeking out these types of items.

Athelas [Treasure Trove] Atlantic

Slickjack

Rares Fest Host | Cats Nov 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Athelas-

This is exactly why I'd hate to see a name get preferential treatment when "qualifing" as a rare only. If I have a "sewn by" robe and you have a "sewn by" robe, both us have the same item but the name will be different... Each person across Sosaria will have different tastes on what is wonderful about the name on each piece. I'd hate to tell someone that their piece is not a rare b/c it was Sewn by Bob and another one is UBER rare b/c it was Sewn By Brittish, for example. That's simply a roll of the dice on which pieces survived the last few years of the game, and I don't think the name should count on *Qualifying* it....

Now, that being said, the name will most CERTAINLY affect the value of the item if it is sold. This is where we can not argue. My argument above, Bob Vs. Brittish, can not be more clear when it comes to which would bring more GP. Brittish brings more gold.

I just don't want to see Sewn By items left out in general because someone doesn't like the name on it.....

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe rarity is the key factor in the equation of things. For example I was unaware that boots even could have the made by label. One of the reasons to even have this event of showing what has been collected by umm collectors, is to be able to learn about things that do exist still in the game.
I would there for suggest that if time permits books be made available to view explaining why certain items are truely rare so that we can learn more about why you collect those items.
Also the part about sandles having the bless tag on them to make them level 1 item, I am assuming that you mean double blessed sewn by sandles etc. Because an item could be blessed with a single bless deed.
Look forward to seeing your collection when its available for viewing down the road.

Riply

S

Suzzy

Hm, I may have missed the point on this thread. I was just commenting that the name of the item only affects actual value in terms of cost/gold. I've read some other threads and realize now why a point system is being brought up in regards to these particular items.

I see these as being rare regardless of name. If some piece of angel cake given out at Christmas by some reindeer is considered rare just because of quantity then these should be as well.

A lot of rares have the same graphic as a common item, but are just named differently. If those items are considered rare(which they are), then that same logic can be applied to "Sewn by" items.

Riply

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hm, I may have missed the point on this thread. I was just commenting that the name of the item only affects actual value in terms of cost/gold. I've read some other threads and realize now why a point system is being brought up in regards to these particular items.

I see these as being rare regardless of name. If some piece of angel cake given out at Christmas by some reindeer is considered rare just because of quantity then these should be as well.

A lot of rares have the same graphic as a common item, but are just named differently. If those items are considered rare(which they are), then that same logic can be applied to "Sewn by" items.
Exactly I agree that sewn by items should be included as well, but if it is especially rare for some reason perhaps have some additional information as in a book next to the items explaining the reasons why.

Manticore

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

QUOTE]

This is where I have to disagree. Angel cake given out at chirstmas are actually more or less countable. You can't say that about a sewn item. I played during the days when the sewn items were obtainable for 150 gp on a vendor with as many styles to choose from as it pleases. You can't say that about any stag dropped items. Now the quanties of the sewn items may deplete over time, but you will never know how much of it is really out there. At the same token, if I bought up all 10 Eris Lost Cookies jars today and toss 9 into the trash barrel I can say with 100% accuracy there is only 1 left. This is the biggest deciding factor I have with sewn items at this point. But I still included in the list and with Lykor's recommendation I will modify it some more.