• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Do spell casters need Hit Chance Increase (HCI)

Jazzer

Adventurer
I play along and don't really have anyone to ask, and I feel like an idiot asking the question but...

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I play along and don't really have anyone to ask, and I feel like an idiot asking the question but...
Casters do not need HCI.

Re: playing alone - if you're on Atlantic and would like to find some groups to play with, please send me a message. I would be happy to help you find a guild or one of the public Discord servers so you have more people to interact with.

Jazzer

Adventurer
Casters do not need HCI.

Re: playing alone - if you're on Atlantic and would like to find some groups to play with, please send me a message. I would be happy to help you find a guild or one of the public Discord servers so you have more people to interact with.
Thanks for your response Deschet. Anon McDougle, good question I to would like to know the answer to that because I was thinking about making a warrior mage until I saw a response Merlin had on the UO Spellcaster forum regarding to his " Mystic Mage Spellweaver".

Merlin, thanks for your response and offer. I might take you up on it one day. As I said above. I think I might try your Mystic Mage Spellweaver build though it sounds like it may be difficult to play with all the different spells but I guess you only use a few in each just like I do with Magery. I also just realized that DPI can get higher then 100 in that same response you had where you explained that you can get up to 260+ DPI. I have been using a SDI spell book +50 and an ENCHANTRESS' CAMEO talisman. I looked up slayers and found out that slayer talismans dont word with spell crafters. That explains why when I took it off it didn't change the damage I was doing.

Thanks for your input Merlin! Your doing a good job as a Moderator. I was feeling like giving up on the mage stuff because I couldn't solo any bosses. It sounds like I can. I just wanted to share with everyone again what you said:

"With all the various SDI items combined with SDI enhancing spells from Spellweaving, SDI foods like grapes of wrath and fish pies, you can have 260+ SDI and be able to spam WoD quickly for 1000+ damage. Add in slayer books, and you can fight just about anything. Combine that with an Eater suit that has lots of regen and great healing spells from all three magic skill lines, you have great defensive capabilities. Not sure who told you this build lacks power, but they must not be playing it correctly".

Anon McDougle

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for your response Deschet. Anon McDougle, good question I to would like to know the answer to that because I was thinking about making a warrior mage until I saw a response Merlin had on the UO Spellcaster forum regarding to his " Mystic Mage Spellweaver".

Merlin, thanks for your response and offer. I might take you up on it one day. As I said above. I think I might try your Mystic Mage Spellweaver build though it sounds like it may be difficult to play with all the different spells but I guess you only use a few in each just like I do with Magery. I also just realized that DPI can get higher then 100 in that same response you had where you explained that you can get up to 260+ DPI. I have been using a SDI spell book +50 and an ENCHANTRESS' CAMEO talisman. I looked up slayers and found out that slayer talismans dont word with spell crafters. That explains why when I took it off it didn't change the damage I was doing.

Thanks for your input Merlin! Your doing a good job as a Moderator. I was f
eeling like giving up on the mage stuff because I couldn't solo any bosses. It sounds like I can. I just wanted to share with everyone again what you said:

"With all the various SDI items combined with SDI enhancing spells from Spellweaving, SDI foods like grapes of wrath and fish pies, you can have 260+ SDI and be able to spam WoD quickly for 1000+ damage. Add in slayer books, and you can fight just about anything. Combine that with an Eater suit that has lots of regen and great healing spells from all three magic skill lines, you have great defensive capabilities. Not sure who told you this build lacks power, but they must not be playing it correctly".

Mages are harder to play usually not much DCI have to run protection so cast slow and regen rates tough to keep up with mana needs

MeTheGreat

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
does hci work with mage weapons
Yes, hci increases your chance to hit with any weapon - even one you do not have any skill with.
Mage weapon takes your magery skill as a weapon skill for purpose of calculating your hit chance
(but does not provide the requisite skill to use the weapon specials).

I was feeling like giving up on the mage stuff because I couldn't solo any bosses. It sounds like I can.
If soloing bosses is your bar for playing a mage, then you probably would want to play a warrior.
Bosses can cast while moving, while doing physical attacks, and have a casting speed that players cannot match;
several bosses deal area damage, switch targets regularly, and dispel summons quickly.

Spell-casters are stuck in one spot while they cast and must predominantly choose to either damage or to heal.
Mages are great in pvm in groups or when they are not being targeted but die quickly when they are the target;
your ability to solo bosses as a mage will be based upon your ability to keep the boss from targeting you.

Properly geared melee warriors can solo bosses because their swings are not interrupted and their weapon-damage output
regenerates their health, mana, and stamina. (And they can heal on the move if they need to tactically retreat.)