• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Do barb kits just suck?

Topsy Krett

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I burned a couple and got absolute crap... I just came back recently, was there a patch that nerfed them? I feel like I am wasting my money by just buying them...

Any insight?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No, in fact just the opposite - back in February, the "lost property" bug was finally fixed, and they increased the minimum intensity on all the tailor & smith runics, while allowing all those runics to create 100% intensity on the properties they give.It's possible to make items that were previously barbed kit quality, with horned runics (spined runics even, if you are just looking for 140 luck & high LRC, and don't care about resists).

You probably had a run of bad luck on the items. The Random number generator for UO still is as streaky as ever.

Do also note that a year or two ago, they finally gave Arms Lore a use again, and it increases the exceptional bonus for items by 1% DI(weapons) / 1 random resist (armor) per 20 points of arms lore.

Make sure you're making exceptional items - talismans with Tailor exceptional bonus will increase your chance of an exceptional item.

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Do also note that a year or two ago, they finally gave Arms Lore a use again, and it increases the exceptional bonus for items by 1% DI(weapons) / 1 random resist (armor) per 20 points of arms lore.
The Arms Lore bonus for armor is every 12.5 for the Siege Perilous shard. It sounds like you just had some bad luck. Hopefully your next run of runics is better.

Stayin Alive,

BG

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hey, Barry - I've been looking for a SP crafter to answer something for me...

Is the weapon DI bonus for Arms lore on SP 1/20 or 1/12.5?

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do not know what the weapon damage is for SP and Arms Lore. I have a miner on Siege, with no crafting skills. Maybe a SP crafter will pop on in and answer this. I will post this question on the SP forum, if it is not in their FAQ.

Posted in SP Forum, see if anyone knows...

BG

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To the OP:

I feel your pain on the barbed kits. In my experience I burn 3 kits I get 4 good pieces, and one uber piece. And if a 4 mod piece of armor will meet your requirements, buy horned kits in bulk. I pick up horned kits for 400k and I usually get a couple good pieces out of 3 kits.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well aside from having a good talisman and 110 tailoring skill and better, horned kits I just overall get better results than barbed. Unless I receive a BOD where I can get a barbed kit, I don't even bother. If I do receive a barbed kit, even then I am weighing whether to just sell it or use it.

Basically you could have way more horned kits for the same amount of gold and have much quality and quantity as far as pieces go. :D

Barry Gibb

Of Saintly Patience
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Petra Fyde from SP was able to answer the question. At GM Arms Lore, you will recieve an 8 point bonus to damage for exceptional weapons.
No Arms Lore (elf) = 35%DI
No Arms Lore (human JoaT) = 36%
GM Arms Lore = 40%DI
GM Arms Lore (on SP) = 43%DI

See this thread: http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=115813
This is consistent with the 1 point per 12.5 Arms Lore on Siege for armor.

If you are going for more fire resist pieces, try using horned leather rather than barbed. Barbed leather only gives +1 total resist over Horned. Check the Stratics section on Enhancing items for the bonuses of the leather types.

BG

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks, Barry & Petra...

That was one of the things I'd been unsure of when doing the FAQ updating - next time I do a FAQ update, I'll make sure its in there (or when I start doing new Stratics pages - yes, there are updates going on again - just check out the Hunter's guide, and the equipment lists for the first few rounds)

5% Luck

My method for burning runic is to make sure I have at least 100 charges to use before starting a session. Burning 1-5 kits at a time is always a waste.

Setnaffa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I burned a couple and got absolute crap... I just came back recently, was there a patch that nerfed them? I feel like I am wasting my money by just buying them...

Any insight?
What do you consider crap? Any piece over 60 resists sells for around 10,000 gold per resist point (i.e. 620,000 gold for a piece with 62 resists). I usually end up with 4 or 5 pieces with over 60 resists from each Kit, so the pieces are worth more than the kit was.