• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Diso. Provo. Vs. Disco. Tamer

Legendary Rouser

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hey all, I was a vet player back in 2000-2004, I made millions of gold back in the day provoking shadow wyrms against each other while tamers couldn't even imagine dropping down the that lvl of destard. They dropped 1800-2200 gps each, with very nice magic items, and skinning them you accuired more hides and meat then a regular dragon and also the Fabled black dragon scales. (To my knowledge no longer exists). As that being said, I stopped playing in 04 and a lot of changes have came and gone. One of the big ones is the addition of the Greater Dragon (GD). I've tried to go down to the shadow wyrms of late and had nothing but OoOoOo. The speed and resiliance of the wyrms down there just boggle me. Not to mention the faster casting of any magic user monster in UO. If you didn't know there are 2 Deamons, and 2 Mages and 2 Shadow Wyrms down there (Fel side) Not sure if its different for Tam. (Like the mages in the mage tower of Shame). Now there was wyrven's and drakes there. I just stealhed down to that lvl with my theif and only saw 2 deamons 2 mages and 2 wyrms. As a provoker, you need 2 targets. I'm not sure if you can provoke humans onto monsters, but i know you provoke deamons onto dragons or some humans like wondering healers. My thing is i guess, anyone have a template that uses provoke, discord and maybe taming into the mix that is "very effective" or with the loss in skills diminish that? 120 music, disc, provoke, but then to have a gd you will need 120 taming, lore, and at least 100 vet. thats 700 points. with 20 left could you do focus or med? with the bard mastery thats no where near close enough to maintain the upkeep? or could some jewls or gear balance that out? Or just go straignt Disco tamer with 120 music, disco, tame, vet, lore, med, and some magery for travel? tips/suggestions are appricieated

Respectfully

Poetic Ruin of Atlantic (Formally of Great Lakes)

Last edited:

dupapa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi

this is the template i currently have on my tamer,

disco/provo/bard/tamer

94/32/122

Magery 100
AnimalL 110
AnimalT 110
vet 100
music 100/ 120 ring/brace
disco 100/ 120 ring/brace
provo 100/ 120 ring/brace

110/110 lore and tame (enough for 99.9% control of GD) - if out taming new creatures i use a ring to get lore/tame 120/120

60 skill points between two jewellery to bump music, disco, provo to 120 each, 2FC/4FCR

mana is the main issue, even with 12 MR & 45LMC on suit i find it can be limiting to how big a foe i can take on and the use of the masteries is limited.

i dont run a decent suit as im on SP

i still find the character a blast to play as its quite a flexible all rounder.

Last edited:

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Right now my build is peace/disco/tamer but my tactics are primarily as a disco/tamer.

I can handle most of the places I go into with disco and a GD and I have peace on the template for when things go to hell and I need some focused crowd control.

My skills end up being:
120 Music
120 Peace
120 Disco
120 Animal Taming (+10 on ring)
120 Animal Lore (+10 on ring)
100 Magery (with +15 from Tome of Lost Knowledge, +10 ring and +10 bracelet)
102 Vet (+14 ring and +13 bracelet)

I have 40 LMC and 16 MR to help maintain the masteries. I tend to switch between bard masteries depending on what i'm doing. The rest of my suit is all 70 resists 105% LRC and with 775 luck, which I can boost up around 1600 if I am willing to sacrifice some of my mana regen (usually just farming loot in shame). I also have a couple of STR mods imbued (to help with what I can carry, i'm an elf) and int bonus/MI. Not a really high end suit, it just kind of came together over time but rounds a fairly effective template.

I have been toying with the idea of stoning peace and trying out this template with provoke I just haven't done it yet. I have been fairly content as is.

Edit: I should also mention that I cannot maintain both bardsongs indefinitely without meditation but with my LMC and MR I can have one song going all of the time and can run both for about 4-5 minutes at a time. I've also been toying with the idea of giving up some magery for med but the limitations with the bardsongs hasn't really bothered me all that much.

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
I believe if you relay on a GD as a main source of damage you'd better to use a song with DI/HCI.

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, and that is one of the main reasons I want to stone peace and work up provocation, just haven't done it yet

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry kind of an old thread but, haven't played bard in a long while. What is ideal now, peace or provoke for bard tamer?

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Honestly it depends on your play style and what you want to do with it, both are perfectly viable templates.

I switch back and forth between peace/disco/tamer and provo/disco/tamer all the time. Most of the time it's based on what I'm fighting or even just what kind of mood I'm in.

This decision is all about you, make yourself happy ;)

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
i think hci/di from provo songs must be useful for a tamer
and disco looks better (then peace) candidate for the second skill for me

Tomarke

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
true but sometimes it's not all about dps and hc. Crowd control when soloing as a tamer can be just as important if not more important than those things. Plus when in a group peace songs have some pretty good buffs.