• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(Player Event) Discussion on a traveling carnival

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to make another attempt to fire up a traveling carnival that will consist of a collection of quick played simultaneously operated games. Any are welcome to join in the conversation or bring your own game to the party. For those of you who are already enlisted through coercion or blackmail now have the opportunity to add your thoughts to the project.
This project is an attempt to knit the Legends community a little tighter and spread it on to other shards. The object is to have fun, meet new people, and strengthen old bonds.

Just some loose guidelines to avoid conflict:
  • No exact game duplicates unless otherwise agreed upon by both parties. One may decide to have high end prizes and low odds as opposed to another with easy odds and low end prizes.
  • I would like to try to keep the prize values equal relative to the odds of winning. The prize values are the operators choice but the value/odds ratio should be a group decision and will definitely be trial and error. This is just to avoid everyone flocking to one easy win game with high ends rewards (I do ask that the operators cover their own prizes. I would like to cover them all but realize I do not have the resources to last. I will however help where needed.)
Points of discussion:
  1. Housing: I have one house slated for this and can provide a second if necessary. Does anyone else have one available to move about?
  2. Games: Games need to be relatively quick to keep people moving along. Who wants what?
  3. Game setup: What games go where? I would like to dedicate the bottom floor of one house to set up teleports to each game individually. A central hub. This is open to better ideas, as is everything here.
  4. Logistics: We can cover this on an event by event basis. We may need some volunteers to move things if necessary.
  5. Location and Dates: We can vote on which shards to travel to. As a group we can find the best dates for all parties. The good thing about this is if someone cannot make it then there will still be other games operating so the show can go on. I do ask that the first be on a date that I can make.
  6. Advertisement: Volunteers will be needed to promote the event within the upcoming shard and on Stratics. We can decide this event by event as well.
Games already claimed:
  • Bowling
  • Pong
  • Teleport racing
  • The Wheel
  • Shell Game
I need some feedback on those points from you who are already involved. Any feedback is welcome actually.

Last edited:

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
as a matter of fact I have an account currently without a house so I can set one up anywhere for this, which leads to next point - on some shards there's no way we'll find a spot for 18x18, which we'll need for most of these games - also, not having developed characters on the shard may be problematic, tho with shard shields we can tote some stuff around

prizes are always difficult - each year I agonize over this for the Phoenix Festival and it's the main reason I miss checks, when I was out of ideas a check would work nicely - my thought is to keep the prizes on the smaller side, it's for the fun of it, right?

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LoL I feel the same way.

Dev, I agree with keeping the prizes on the smaller side or else we could find ourselves bankrupt after just a few of these. If we run some big prizes we can make sure the odds will limit only a few going out (like the 6ft stuffed bear on the back shelf no one will ever win). Yes, it's more for the fun. I will admit I am not exactly altruistic for I want to do this to entertain myself but hopefully others as well along the way.
I will probably look to the cash for sovereigns for the prizes if I can figure out what I am doing with them. I certainly will help where I can with it. I guess we could list what would make good prizes and I can go Atlantic shopping some afternoon.
What kind of resource deeds would make good prizes?

Okay the shards with little house space we can steer clear of until we know what we are doing. We may come up with solutions or more resources along the way. Also we can hit the shards first where someone does have developed characters if they are willing to do some initial leg work. I think GL may be the only other shard I personally have them on.

Great points all.

I would like to start on Legends first of course so we don't have to cross those bridges just yet.

Also I was thinking just limiting this to a half hour and closing shop. With several games there will be a solid chunk of constant entertainment for everyone.

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
all sounds good, Pen, and I can build on Legends, that's good :) I'll start hunting pretty spots :eyes:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I want to shop Legends first. If anyone has deeds for bulk resources you think would make good prizes send me a pm and I may buy them up. Is there a way to use the vendor search option for resource deeds? If there is I am not seeing it.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Type in valorite deed. will give you all the commodity deeds dealing with val. If you want just ingots, valorite ingot deed-and that will exclude the val granite.

same with most resources, just put deed after it

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
and you can search commodity deed. and get the list of everything lol...just pick and choose

recommend listing results from high to low tho, for some reason on the shard I searched they had like 10 pages of blank deeds for 50 gps each to wade thru.
Gps should be no object, Synclaire is loaded!! Just play till she goes to sleep :D

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
:gee: That would be me in the morning.

I guess there are just no deeds available for my searches. There doesn't seem much available at all on Legends :(

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would like to create a base for prize values.

Let's estimate a game has a 1 in 6 chance of winning.
Let's estimate about 15 seconds for a person to play.
In a half hour I would say at most there would be 120 plays though I doubt it would be anywhere near that with delays and dips in traffic. At 1 in 6 we have a very rough estimate of a max of 20 wins during the event. What would be an easily sustainable prize value for each of the twenty wins without being any kind of a burden yet worth the play? I really need some thoughts on this.

For my own game I am going to drop the odds dramatically for a little pricier prize but I need a consensus before I start narrowing down what I want. Like I said I want to keep it balanced for everyone.

By the way its my day off work so I will be spamming today :)

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I think I will add a donation barrel to the main room so if someone has no use for their prize or just wants to donate they can. Can a barrel still be locked down for the public to put stuff in but unable to remove items?

Sadie-

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't know about a barrel but a Mailbox does allow for that functionality.. Goodluck with the event it sounds like a neat idea :)

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thank you Sadie. You would be most welcome if you ever decide to join up.

There are vacancies if anyone wants to give this a try:

Host: The face of the carnival. This person will probably stand at the entrance and answer questions, direct people, and keep time by announcing the beginning and end (maybe a 5 minute warning). I do ask that this person try to use the same name on all the shards we travel to so people get to know them. Of course if there are no character slots available on a shard to use the name that's all fine. Just an attempt.
I also ask that this person has a good chance to make all the events. With game operators it isn't as important if we have enough.

Game operators:

Rainbow Roulette:
The operator places the prize in a pack next to a colored carpet. The player jumps on the teleporter and wins if the landing color matches the pack.
Prizes supplied.
Lucky Seven: The player simply rolls the dice and tries for a seven to win.
Prizes supplied.
Quiver of Infinity: An archery game. Score points to win arrows/bolts.
Prizes supplied.
Artificers Walk: A gameboard played with dice. Land on certain spaces to win imbuing ingredients.
Prizes supplied.
For Doom the Bell Tolls: Claimed
Toss for Nets: Claimed
Pedestal Pong: Claimed
The Wheel: Claimed
Alchemical Bowling: Claimed
Dyeing to Escape (spelling intentional): Claimed

Game of your own design: It just needs to be quick moving .

I have decided personally on a prize budget of a few million an event (monthly). That doesn't break the bank and I can cover others for that amount if need be. So if you are willing to put in just an hour a month (30 minutes for the game and approximately 30 for setup) I will cover the prizes for a few games if needed so it is free other than your time.

Gater: Covered

Promoter: If you do not wish to participate directly we could always use help promoting the event in the upcoming shard by just laying out runes and/or books for a few nights leading up to it.

We need at least a few more people on this to make it flow. Even if you don't care much for me do it for UO. I am trying to guide things just to make it happen but it isn't my game, it is yours.
Thanks

Last edited:

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another question: Should we wear festive uniforms or maybe even go with an undead carnival theme?

Spelosty

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Backish..... EJ whenever that processes unless I can dig up some cash for real sub :p

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Warning: Be aware that if you closed the account while sitting on a beetle with stuff in it for storage, if you get off that beetle you can't get back on it!!! Another 'feature' they added to EJ. Would hate to see you lose your stuffs if you had em stored that way.

And there is NO bank. at all. Other than for currency. So if you do get off a beetle, theres nowhere else to put the stuff

Penderrin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay it looks like this will be going down May 10 sometime around 6pm central. There are at least three more games I would like to get covered before then.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I will help advertise, I could not come up with another game that would be quick to play =) also this works for my wonky schedule ;)