• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discordance for pets...

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'm having serious problems getting past 100.1
Any ideas where I can find dragons without drakes/GDs?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got my CU to 120 in Blackthorn's castle. There are dragons there which are pretty easy to separate from the drakes/GD there in the maze since line of sight targeting was implemented. Also 1/2 of the rotting corpses and Balrons there are discoable at your level so I farmed them a lot. What's nice is after you stop gaining on those 1/2, the other halves start working.

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Having a problem cu stuck with 109.7 disco have worked 2 days and nights no gains seems to be stuck pet doing wonderfully well against grt Drgs have tried to kill it of but no gains.

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
By the way 120 healing is fully functional only problem pet has is Mana doesnt have any added.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Tried Blackthorne's again, but the spawn rate for dragons was slow, several minutes in some cases.
Tried Rotting Corpses and had bad luck with lots of 160ers, so I'm working Balrons in Blood now, seems to be fine now :)

Gonna get back to those Corpses once Disco is done.

swampjumper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Back on the right track Rng started working in my favor now slowly getting gains once again arrived at 111.4 keeping my fingers crossed hope to 120 by end of week.

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Go for it :)
This is probably the most demanding pet template, but also very rewarding ;)
I have recently come back to the game and have read and learned a lot on the Tamer Forum about the new pet training. I have trained up my first CU and added a 120 Disco scroll. Mind sharing what other abilities etc you are using with Disco please? I was considering adding Repel but I haven't seen much info about this ability.

Last edited:

Wh1te F0x

Visitor
I'e been reading that people have had trouble with disco on a pet I have disco on my cue it' at 93.8 and was gaining..
But since I added poison it seems to have stopped using disco so no chance to gain...unless there is something I'm not doing any help would be grate as it' a pure white cue I'll cry if I've broke her

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I'e been reading that people have had trouble with disco on a pet I have disco on my cue it' at 93.8 and was gaining..
But since I added poison it seems to have stopped using disco so no chance to gain...unless there is something I'm not doing any help would be grate as it' a pure white cue I'll cry if I've broke her
Poison is a magical ability, Discord is a magical ability. You can only have one magical ability. If you add a second it will overwrite the first.

Wh1te F0x

Visitor
Are I see well I guess the disco part is broke but still don't brake the pub as she holds her own anyway but you lern something new every day thanks for the info

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yeah, my pet doesn't have discordance on its lore page, only spellweaving :( wow that is really badly designed devs... @Kyronix any chance you could pop on to Europa sometime and fix my pet? :D I would hate to not be able to use my rare hiryu now because of this...

I buggered my dreadmare too because it jumped from 3 slots to 5, missing out 1.5k training points :/
There is a warning on the page when you add a magic (disco,chiv, sw etc..) It clearly states: Please note that other magic will be removed etc..so its not the Devs..sry man..Still SW is great, just contu=inue skilling the pet, or if youre really unhappy try selling for the price of time that it took to build and the PS

SwordofExcalibur

One of the last Rangers of Skara Brae
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So, after reading this thread, I've summed up a few things:

1. Disco is just like a bard with music/disco. At 120 it should give like a 22% skill/resist reduction I believe. At 100, it's 20%.

2. Read all warnings when adding magic skills to pets. Pets can only have one magic skill active, e.g. Disco will overwrite poison and vice-versa.

3. Bullpens in Jhelom or graveyard are good to start disco up to like 45-50. Sleeping Dragon spawns works well to 65. I personally trained mine to 70 on champs. 70-90 and 90-110 I still need a good option. I'm thinking Daemons at Fire Temple or Artic Ogres. Or level 3-4 spawn in Champs. 110+ sounds like Blackthorn's Castle, but maybe you can start at 100 or 105, not sure. [*Update: 70-95 training went very well at the Blood Ele/Iron Beetle/Spider spawn at the entrance to Navrey's Lair in The Underworld. On ATL, you can simply take the EM Warp Hole into the lair, then exit, and you're there. I trained here over two evenings roughly 5-6 hours total. Hope this helps.]

4. Probably best to train Disco when you don't have AI or anything else added (except the Bleed) so mana is not a chore.

Excellent thread, thanks to all.

*Updates

1. Some have found while playing that Dischord costs around 45-50 mana a cast. I witnessed the same thing spamming Lore. Seems like it's 45.

2. Pets gain off of failures on Disco and from what I saw and it didn't appear to use any mana. Gains seemed faster when I trained on something hard to disco. Otherwise, on easier things, I found myself resting pet's mana more frequently.

Last edited:

Map

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
There is barding difficulty with pets?
I am going to test this out and let my pet kill a single type of mob for hours and hours to see what happens....
  • So far it's gone from 20 to 75.0 on Slimes, skill gain hasn't slowed... decided to try out Mages
  • 75.0 to 77.8 on Mages, I died a couple times, didn't gain much resist, didn't like it down there, switched back...
  • 77.8 to 78.2 on Slimes again, safer for the most part...
  • gains slowed way down at 78.2, and have completely stopped at 78.6. going to try some things...
  • All stop / All stay, let mana regen back up... All kill, and after depleting his mana Disco is at 79 :) what a pain.
  • ^using this method current gains... 78.6 to low 80s, still on Slimes.
I lored the crap out of him from Max mana to Zero mana, it looks like one Disco uses 45 to 50 mana!!!!!!

And I totally agree with #4 in the post above ^
[ps, it IS taking longer because this pet has AI and Explosive Goo, so his mana is being eaten up casting that junk]

[hr][/hr]
Finished at 80s and not continuing training on this pet... just bonded another fire steed and training him up from slot 2. Going to put DISCORD only on him right away, and up his mana to 700ish, along with the usual resists and stat upgrades. Will start a new post here and relay information on how it is different [if at all] with only the one skill & dragons breath.

Update @ #70 below: Click here to view

[hr][/hr]

Last edited:

whitesmith

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
There is barding difficulty with pets? I am going to test this out tonight and let my pet kill a single type of mob for hours and see what happens... so far it's gone from 20 to 50.7, I'll update post if it completely stops gaining.

I've yet to put discord on any of my pets, wondering if it shows the sparkles when your pet discords the creature?

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
There is barding difficulty with pets? I am going to test this out tonight and let my pet kill a single type of mob for hours and hours to see what happens... so far it's gone from 20 to 71.4 and it hasn't slowed down off of a pile of the same monsters.................

What are you training on from 20 to 71.4? And does the pet discord itself accidentally?

Map

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
What are you training on from 20 to 71.4? And does the pet discord itself accidentally?
I am still updating it as I go, still training today [73.1 currently]... My friend told me to try Slimes and also Mages in Blackthorn, I have been doing nothing but a pile of slimes. Might switch to the mages to get my magic resist up to 115, but it's tricky down there because you get revealed 24/7.

Map

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Alrighty, working my new test and it is going GREAT!...

When I hit 70 Discord I thought it over and feared I screwed myself, because I couldn't gain any skills once he discorded the mobs!!! But... it has worked out in the end... Steed is at 4 slot for now, all resists and stats done, scrolled him first to 105s because I didn't know if this training was going to work the way I wanted it to, but now he has all 115s, until I get 120s... He has fought nothing but Slimes is at 93.2 discord!!! [all in less than 10 hours of training].

Once he hits GM Discord I am going to finish his training to slot 5 and slap a 120 Discord scroll on him and continue working that up. Only after I reach 120, if that ever happens, then I will put my other skills on him [Whatever you choose, AoE spells or Bladeweave or AI] I just urge you to be patient and DO NOT TRAIN THESE until you are satisfied with your Discord skill level!!!

Took a couple days off to mess with a blue beetle, came back and got him to 105+ on slimes still...
Between 105.3 and 111.8 I accidentally let him go wild because I wasn't watching his Happiness, so lesson learned for everyone! While training, keep feeding them :D
Discording Slimes.jpg Discording Slimes, 100.5 arrow.jpg Discording Slimes, 105.3 arrow.jpg Discording Slimes, 111.8 arrow.jpg

I will update with info as I figure it out.

Happy training all!

Last edited:

jeremy roe

Adventurer
Alrighty, working my new test and it is going GREAT!...

When I hit 70 Discord I thought it over and feared I screwed myself, because I couldn't gain any skills once he discorded the mobs!!! But... it has worked out in the end... Steed is at 4 slot for now, all resists and stats done, scrolled him first to 105s because I didn't know if this training was going to work the way I wanted it to, but now he has all 115s, until I get 120s... He has fought nothing but Slimes is at 93.2 discord!!! [all in less than 10 hours of training].

Once he hits GM Discord I am going to finish his training to slot 5 and slap a 120 Discord scroll on him and continue working that up. Only after I reach 120, if that ever happens, then I will put my other skills on him [Whatever you choose, AoE spells or Bladeweave or AI] I just urge you to be patient and DO NOT TRAIN THESE until you are satisfied with your Discord skill level!!!

Took a couple days off to mess with a blue beetle, came back and got him to 105+ on slimes still...
View attachment 76418 View attachment 76468 View attachment 76579

I will update with info as I figure it out.

Happy training all!
Any updates?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Map

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Any updates?

Sorry, I had a fail and was letting him train too long without feeding him so he went wild. Retamed, fed, stabled. Lesson learned haha ... most of his skills dropped to the 80's, but discord remains what it was before going wild, thank the lord ... When I get back to working him, I will continue where I left off & post more updates :)

jeremy roe

Adventurer
Sorry, I had a fail and was letting him train too long without feeding him so he went wild. Retamed, fed, stabled. Lesson learned haha ... most of his skills dropped to the 80's, but discord remains what it was before going wild, thank the lord ... When I get back to working him, I will continue where I left off & post more updates :)
Thanks

Map

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Updated my post above.

I believe you can 120 Discord off a single type mob, this "skill" is not based on the monsters difficulty to bard like it is for players ... Give them a LOT of monsters to discord and you'll gain from 0 to 120 off them. I chose the slimes because they spawn like rabbits, attack fast, do zero damage, and die quickly.

REMEMBER: Only train DISCORD until you reach your PS's max. NOTHING ELSE! No AI, no Chiv, no other skills at all, or you'll get stuck in the 80's.

Tabin

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Updated my post above.

I believe you can 120 Discord off a single type mob, this "skill" is not based on the monsters difficulty to bard like it is for players ... Give them a LOT of monsters to discord and you'll gain from 0 to 120 off them. I chose the slimes because they spawn like rabbits, attack fast, do zero damage, and die quickly.

REMEMBER: Only train DISCORD until you reach your PS's max. NOTHING ELSE! No AI, no Chiv, no other skills at all, or you'll get stuck in the 80's.
If you choose discord first, does it turn off your options for choosing AI? Cuz that's what it says in the Cu build guide: Cu Sidhe Builds

"You can choose: (Always start from the bottom) (Choosing a magic first will turn off the other choices.)

A. 1 area, and one special move or special ability

B. one special move and one special ability.

Then you can choose a Magic Ability."

So if I want an AI, Discording Cu. Should I pick up AI first or Discording first?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Normal building of any pet. Choose from the bottom up. Pets with other natural abilities will count those towards the total when you choose a magic first.

If you choose from the bottom up on a Cu, you can have 2 choices before the magic.

Test Center is your friend.

This is how it is with UO, badly designed game mechanics and months and months to test things. Unfortunately its always been a chore, its why I have to take breaks from the game every few months, it is not user-friendly and very frustrating at times.
UO has always been a game of insider knowledge or secrets or what ever you want to call it. I think that is what really tuned people off about the game. pet training for example 99% of the creatures you can fight give you .02 gains per. a handful of creatures like an allosaourous gives 1.25 per.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
UO has always been a game of insider knowledge or secrets or what ever you want to call it. I think that is what really tuned people off about the game. pet training for example 99% of the creatures you can fight give you .02 gains per. a handful of creatures like an allosaourous gives 1.25 per.
I disagree about what turns people away, and agree about game design. People are turned away for many reasons, different ones for different people. Some people dont like the grind. Others lost the challenge etc.
The game is supposed to be a cluster of countless mini-games and puzzles posed by the game masters for the players to solve. A lot of players have gotten old and they decided they cannot/will not do the game etc.
This is what makes Stratics the supreme game guide that it is, for people to share legal information about the game. There is no other game like it. Some people enjoy the vast unknown, others like to cut through the chase come here and get pertinent information.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Updated my post above.
I believe you can 120 Discord off a single type mob, this "skill" is not based on the monsters difficulty to bard like it is for players ... Give them a LOT of monsters to discord and you'll gain from 0 to 120 off them. I chose the slimes because they spawn like rabbits, attack fast, do zero damage, and die quickly."/QUOTE]

That's been my experience too. My Cu had very low discord and was using it successfully on Earth eles. I have discord on my toon and could never do it with such low skill. I've been using him at slimes and slugs.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
1. Disco is just like a bard with music/disco. At 120 it should give like a 22% skill/resist reduction I believe. At 100, it's 20%.
Old post, but Pet Discord is not quite the same as player Discord. Pets will never achieve the success chance with Discord that a player can. Pets do not have 120 Music, nor can they use GM (+10%) or Slayer (+20%) Instruments. The player having a Bard Mastery as their Active Mastery also improves Discord chance (+5% for Peace/Provo Mastery, +10% for Discord Mastery). Players can also use Discord more frequently than pets, due to having only a 6-8 second cool down on attempts, with no Mana cost.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Old post, but Pet Discord is not quite the same as player Discord. Pets will never achieve the success chance with Discord that a player can. Pets do not have 120 Music, nor can they use GM (+10%) or Slayer (+20%) Instruments. The player having a Bard Mastery as their Active Mastery also improves Discord chance (+5% for Peace/Provo Mastery, +10% for Discord Mastery). Players can also use Discord more frequently than pets, due to having only a 6-8 second cool down on attempts, with no Mana cost.
Except this is 100% opposite my experience.

my pet has NO cool down timer for discord. It can have a half-dozen things discorded before I can even attempt a second disco.
IT can succeed much quicker than I can, even with me using a slayer instrument. The lack of music appears to have ZERO effect.

Do not assume that creatures not using a humanoid template have the same restrictions or prerequisites as a PC.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran

my pet has NO cool down timer for discord. It can have a half-dozen things discorded before I can even attempt a second disco.
IT can succeed much quicker than I can, even with me using a slayer instrument. The lack of music appears to have ZERO effect.

Do not assume that creatures not using a humanoid template have the same restrictions or prerequisites as a PC.
I have the same experience. Pretty sure pets get free Musicianship with their Discord skill (similar to getting an Arcane Focus with Spellweaving), otherwise they would never be able to Discord anything. Also, I've seen my Discord pets use the mastery abilities (not sure if it's Tribulation or Despair or both), so you could make the assumption that pet discordance grants the mastery bonus chance to land as well.

I've seen them able to mass discord things extremely fast when they feel like it. Pretty sure pets trade the discord cooldown for having a mana-cost to cast it.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I wouldn't call it labelling every obvious thing as you have put it, but yes, the devs should give a bit of instruction - a warning message or simply removing the option to select a secondary magical ability if that means the initial ability becomes inactive. This fault in the system is not an obvious thing. If you choose a magical ability and are able to choose another, of course you will try to add another. If you haven't used this pet training system before I don't see how you couldn't fall into this trap first time round. It's just horribly designed. Some of us actually have lives outside of this game and can't spent countless hours playing TC before the content hits other shards. If a system is on production shard it should work properly. It should be complete & polished. It shouldn't feck over players that haven't used the system before.
But there are people who purposefully add a magic = e.g. poison, then add poison breath, then train the pet (mare) to GM poisoning, then go back and re-install Magery that was there to begin with, so they get GM lethal poisoning magery spell on the mare. The Devs should not disable adding a second magic since that would stop this. There are warnings when you add a magic that clearly say that the previous magic will be removed, when you attempt to add any magic. We all goofed up many pets when the revamp hit..This is how a lot of us learned, and posted the findings here since 1 year ago.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I have the same experience. Pretty sure pets get free Musicianship with their Discord skill (similar to getting an Arcane Focus with Spellweaving), otherwise they would never be able to Discord anything. Also, I've seen my Discord pets use the mastery abilities (not sure if it's Tribulation or Despair or both), so you could make the assumption that pet discordance grants the mastery bonus chance to land as well.

I've seen them able to mass discord things extremely fast when they feel like it. Pretty sure pets trade the discord cooldown for having a mana-cost to cast it.
Woa, I didn't know they use the masteries! I'll have to watch for that!

My experience has been like yours; pet discord works very different than player discord. My cu routinely disco's stuff a player could not with the same skill, and as you mentioned it does it a lot faster than a player can.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
to GM poisoning, then go back and re-install Magery that was there to begin with,
If you do that you get magery mastery. Not the magery it began with.

You can do this with chivalry or other and poison if you have an ability that relies on the poison level.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Against creatures with 160 Barding Difficulty? I have several guildies with 120 Discord Cus, and even though they get Discord off fast on adds and lesser spawn, they fail repeatedly to discord the Peerless/Champ/Osiredon, and i end up getting the discord on the boss. See this a lot at my guild's weekly Osiredon hunts, where we end up pulling up 6-10 Osiredons in an hour.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Against creatures with 160 Barding Difficulty? I have several guildies with 120 Discord Cus, and even though they get Discord off fast on adds and lesser spawn, they fail repeatedly to discord the Peerless/Champ/Osiredon, and i end up getting the discord on the boss. See this a lot at my guild's weekly Osiredon hunts, where we end up pulling up 6-10 Osiredons in an hour.
Is there a slayer instrument for Osiredon?

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a slayer instrument for Osiredon?
No, but Exceptional Instrument still gives +10% success chance. Disco Mastery (which i switch to during Osiredon, since Consume Damage doesn't do much vs the damage he pumps out) gives an additional +10% success chance.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have made about every mistake possible in training pets up under the new system and I have also mad some really great pets. The last thing I would do is mess with my best pets until I knew the system inside and out. I just bought a new tractor and I swear it has more warning labels on it than iron in it........ Despite all of the warning labels some dumb ass will get twisted around the PTO shaft of their brand new tractor or get crushed standing under the bucket. It is not possible to idiot proof anything because the idiots will always find a way. And at one point or another we have been and will be again the idiot :)
There is a difference between completely idiot proofing something and the difference between a gump that says :

'Adding Mysticism will remove all magics Do you want to proceed?'

And

'Adding Mysticism will remove the following : Discordance. Do you want to proceed?'

Clearly #2 is alot easier to understand. Most people would not assume Discordance is a magic since its a skill and not a magic for humans.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
There is a difference between completely idiot proofing something and the difference between a gump that says :

'Adding Mysticism will remove all magics Do you want to proceed?'

And

'Adding Mysticism will remove the following : Discordance. Do you want to proceed?'

Clearly #2 is alot easier to understand. Most people would not assume Discordance is a magic since its a skill and not a magic for humans.
It’s not that I’m against your suggestion, actually I like it. The problem is, most don’t read the pop up messages and then are shocked and/or mad that something they wanted didn’t give the outcome they were expecting. The thing to also keep in mind, (using your example) discordance IS listed in the magic group. So it’s in their face that discordance is considered a magic.
Again, I do feel there should be something done to make it clearer what will happen if you move forward with changes magic’s. After all, it’s in the imbuing menu when you change from one magic to another in the same group on jewelry.

mspossi

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just to be sure, since you have tested this far already. It does keep his/her healing ability right?
Hello. Yes, the Cu can be health himself and using discordance.
After ruining 3 Cu, I am finally understanding the mechanics of it all.
My Cu is currently with 110 health, and 100 of discordance ... that rises frighteningly slow ... from what I learned my Cu can only use discordance, if it has mana.
He has 1500 mana and regenerates, and this mana with 30 ... but even so it seems like the mana bar gets stuck at 0 mana.
I think this mana recovery system for pets needs to be reviewed; revised urgently, so it's really worth trying to use a legendary monster against Cu shide.

So I just did my first disc ai dog.. I did disc first level and ai second.. they both show on lore page but advancements they are both red. Did I screw this up? (After already scrolling it)

Ang7

Sage
UNLEASHED
I believe you are good if they show up on advancements and you were able to spend the training points on it.

I think Advancements are always in red letters. Maybe attach a screenshot of the lore and I can tell you for certain.

Do you see a skill level for disco ?

I believe you are good if they show up on advancements and you were able to spend the training points on it.

I think Advancements are always in red letters. Maybe attach a screenshot of the lore and I can tell you for certain.

Yes I trained discord on the first set and leveled it some while working to second level (as I call it) thanks for the fast reply

Attachments

After a while beating on a shadow Iron elemental, I lored it and discordance is gaining. Thank god I didn’t screw it up lol

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The red lore and knowledge screen shows what you add. The black lore and knowledge screen shows what the pet can do.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After a while beating on a shadow Iron elemental, I lored it and discordance is gaining. Thank god I didn’t screw it up lol
Once the pet lands a successful Discord on the Shadow Ore Ele, it'll stop attempting Disco on it. To train Disco faster, you really need multiple mobs. The best place i've found is the Acid Slug Pit near the Underworld entrance. There's a bunch of Acid Slugs down there, and they respawn instantly. Just let your pet roam around that pit killing them as you run Consume Damage on your pet to make sure it doesn't die. Don't forget to use Whispering on cooldown, Discord takes awhile to gain on a pet.

The less abilities a pet knows, the faster it'll gain Discord, since it'll focus more of it's mana on attempting Disco. For my Disco+CB Triton, i first put Discord and a 120 Disco PS on him, so that he'd be attempting nothing but Discord, and trained up his Disco to 120 in the Acid Slug Pit. Only once he maxed out his Disco, did i put Conductive Blast on him. A Cu with Disco+Bleed+AI, is going to take significantly longer to train Disco on, since he'll be spending his mana on Bleed and AI as well. Why i would've left AI off of him until he hit 120 Disco.