• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Discordance for pets...

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
So far I have trained up two pets to 5 slots, a Crimson Drake and an old Hiryu. I have given them both Discordance but finding it extremely difficult to raise. The Drake raised to 44.3 discordance from fighting navrey but now has stopped completely. It hasn't had a gain in hours. The Hiryu has never had a gain and remaines at 20.0, which it starts at. I have tried to fight low level mobs they they seem to die in one hit against a 5 slot pet.

When fighting navrey with the drake I could hear a sound effect which I think was the drake attempting discordance, but since the stop in gains I don't hear that sound anymore - it feels like the pet isn't even attempting to discord.

Is anybody else training Discordance on a pet & having problems?

@Kyronix - How does pet discordance work exactly? do they gain as players would (on a creature of required skill level)? Does the pet gain when it hits an enemy with melee attack or able to gain at a distance (like over a fence or something)

Last edited:

Turbo

Adventurer
Stand behind the fence at a graveyard your pet should continue attempting without damaging them. once all targets are discorded tell the pet to stop then stay and invis it until discord drops off. It seemed to gain faster on low level stuff like that but havent tested fully for gain rates yet. Success chance did pick up a fair amount once the pet discord skill matched and raised above the barding skill of the undead there.

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you add discord and can any tameable learn it? Are there skill requirements? Do you really drop an instrument on them or was that a joke?

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Still not gaining :/ I have my pet attacking a timber wolf over a fence in fel (my pet has spellweaving so can attack at range so i have to heal the target...). Have been at it for 40 minutes now and still hasn't raised from 20.0. @Kyronix any info why discordance on my pet might not be training properly would be a big help! Cheers. - it is a level 5 slot Hiryu with discordance (have used a 120 powerscroll) and spellweaving.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Both discordance and spellweaving are magical abilities, so you likely picked up spellweaving last and now your pet no longer can use discordance. :(

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Really? Surely if you have choosen a magical ability all other magical abilities should be removed from the list so you can't choose another, if that's the way it works? So I have ruined my rare coloured hiryu because of a badly designed system :/ well thats great. Spellweaving didn't even replace discordance when I choose it, it used up a whole new 500 points which is why I thought it would use both. That sucks.

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
How do you add discord and can any tameable learn it? Are there skill requirements? Do you really drop an instrument on them or was that a joke?
if the pet is 4 slots or under it will have an option to train, once it levels up you can teach it certain skills like discord or even chiv.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
screenshot_015.png
screenshot_016.png
screenshot_017.png

Note how I picked chiv, bashing and battle defence on this pet, but on the lore page it only shows the abilities from bashing.
I did this on TC to confirm it, and yeah...
So check the lore & knowledge of your pet and it will only show spellweaving instead of spellweaving and discordance.

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Yeah, my pet doesn't have discordance on its lore page, only spellweaving :( wow that is really badly designed devs... @Kyronix any chance you could pop on to Europa sometime and fix my pet? :D I would hate to not be able to use my rare hiryu now because of this...

I buggered my dreadmare too because it jumped from 3 slots to 5, missing out 1.5k training points :/

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
It has been on tc for about a month now. There has been more than enough time to read up on it and even test for yourself how it works before doing it on your rare pet. You cant blame the game.
Really? In a world where everything is labeled stuff like "Caution Hot, Keep away from Children, May cause Cancer, Do NOT eat..." and countless others you really post that?

First off it was on test center where LOADS of feedback was given about adding warnings and other things to let folk know about these things and many other suggestions to the DEVs... Really in todays society you HAVE to spell out every little thing... because if you don't... some idiot (not directed at anyone here)... WILL mess it up and sue because it wasn't labeled not to eat, that it was hot... etc... So stands to reason that if it's not clearly stated somewhere in the gump... someone is going to get bent over it... and since they made it so you can't have a "redo"... then they at LEAST ought to make it completely clear what the consequences are of doing things.

Slappyjipper

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Really? In a world where everything is labeled stuff like "Caution Hot, Keep away from Children, May cause Cancer, Do NOT eat..." and countless others you really post that?

First off it was on test center where LOADS of feedback was given about adding warnings and other things to let folk know about these things and many other suggestions to the DEVs... Really in todays society you HAVE to spell out every little thing... because if you don't... some idiot (not directed at anyone here)... WILL mess it up and sue because it wasn't labeled not to eat, that it was hot... etc... So stands to reason that if it's not clearly stated somewhere in the gump... someone is going to get bent over it... and since they made it so you can't have a "redo"... then they at LEAST ought to make it completely clear what the consequences are of doing things.
I wouldn't call it labelling every obvious thing as you have put it, but yes, the devs should give a bit of instruction - a warning message or simply removing the option to select a secondary magical ability if that means the initial ability becomes inactive. This fault in the system is not an obvious thing. If you choose a magical ability and are able to choose another, of course you will try to add another. If you haven't used this pet training system before I don't see how you couldn't fall into this trap first time round. It's just horribly designed. Some of us actually have lives outside of this game and can't spent countless hours playing TC before the content hits other shards. If a system is on production shard it should work properly. It should be complete & polished. It shouldn't feck over players that haven't used the system before.

Last edited:

redman2k

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
if the pet is 4 slots or under it will have an option to train, once it levels up you can teach it certain skills like discord or even chiv.
Thanks for the reply. I was on test shard when I read that pets could learn discord, that sounded super imba so I wanted to check it out.

I tamed a bird and used the level gate but didn't see the option to add discord. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough (it was awhile ago), but it sounds like you can add it to any pet, cool!

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
Thanks for the reply. I was on test shard when I read that pets could learn discord, that sounded super imba so I wanted to check it out.

I tamed a bird and used the level gate but didn't see the option to add discord. Maybe I just didn't look hard enough (it was awhile ago), but it sounds like you can add it to any pet, cool!
Oh! It could be certain pets that can learn it maybe, I know Cu Sidhes can so i guess its mega trial and error with this patch. Fun though! I have seen pets using discord at narvey which looks cool!

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wouldn't call it labelling every obvious thing as you have put it, but yes, the devs should give a bit of instruction - a warning message or simply removing the option to select a secondary magical ability if that means the initial ability becomes inactive. This fault in the system is not an obvious thing. If you choose a magical ability and are able to choose another, of course you will try to add another. If you haven't used this pet training system before I don't see how you couldn't fall into this trap first time round. It's just horribly designed. Some of us actually have lives outside of this game and can't spent countless hours playing TC before the content hits other shards. If a system is on production shard it should work properly. It should be complete & polished. It shouldn't feck over players that haven't used the system before.
Exactly what I have been saying... it needs to be forgive the expression "Idiot proof" ... that's what I'm saying... If there are not clear instructions people will get it wrong and they will be upset... and even angry... angry players become disenfranchised and lose interest in the game.... even becoming hateful toward the game..... and THOSE players NEVER come back... Once they get a super strong distaste for the game feeling "wronged" or whatever they won't ever return... and if you have EVER seen any empowerment videos and such for business you would know that ONE negative person is likely to tell at least 20 people of their experience... where people who have a positive experience might tell 1... and those 20 that the one person told... can tell 20 more... negativity is relayed FAR more than a positive response... Why? Goes way back to caveman era likely... Don't eat this it's BAD! Don't do this it will hurt! Etc... negative responses are remembered more than positive ones... for reasons of survival... sure we remember things that give us comfort... but often we don't remember why.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So has anyone levelled up discord on a cu to where it actually discords the stuff it is killing. I intend to put it on but dont want to if it doesnt work, I had intended to take it to 120 if it does?

Turbo

Adventurer
I levelled it to about 35 on tc and it was starting to discord zombies close to 50% of the time. Its gains and its success chance seem to be based on barding difficulty like normal discord is.

Moboid

Visitor
If this helps anyone. Bit of a work in progress, I want to see how useful 100 discordance is.

Cu Shide had 42 discordance by the time he reach maxed level (shame 2 and 4 so must have gained off fails)

42 to 53 Jhelom Bull pen me inside CU outside. I tell him to attack, takes a little while for him to discord then he'll usually discord 3 or 3 things in a row, I then kill them with a mage weapon. about an hour

53 to 62 took 15 minutes using pet Whispering at Sleeping dragon spawn (tokuno) Kappas Lizard men and beetles.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm terrified of seeing my current 3 slot pet jump to 5 with any training or change I make. Not knowing where the threshold is has me checking it every few minutes. I really want to avoid a jump from 3 to 5, but don't know EXACTLY how to tell that's about to happen.
Yeah, that was the worst part of this whole design. They just got too cute with what determined the control levels. Instead of some convoluted value system that a) will have people out hunting for weak pets, and b) at times have people end up confused why their pets are the slot they are.

It should all have just been type based. Wolf is 1 slot, it's always 1 slot. Dragons is 3 slots, it's always 3 slots. If you gain a level, it gains 1 slot, always only one.

Turbo

Adventurer
When it gets to 120 it would be nice to know its success rate against 160 barding difficulty targets and if it has the same effect as a 120/120 music/Discord char.

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
We are curious, do the Cu's that learned Disco (or Spellweaving) still use their healing skill? Healing is not really mentioned in the UO wiki so we are not sure if that is classed as a magical school as well?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
We are curious, do the Cu's that learned Disco (or Spellweaving) still use their healing skill? Healing is not really mentioned in the UO wiki so we are not sure if that is classed as a magical school as well?
No matter what you add, a Cu will always have bleed and healing.

Turbo

Adventurer
Slightly off topic but has anyone found any other pet that can have healing added with the new training system?

Whyterose

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I shouldn't have to spend months testing & reading to overcome badly designed game mechanics. It's a game, not a chore. It should be user friendly & properly tested by the developers of the game to create a good experience for the players.
This is how it is with UO, badly designed game mechanics and months and months to test things. Unfortunately its always been a chore, its why I have to take breaks from the game every few months, it is not user-friendly and very frustrating at times.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So ok, on TC i have put disco on a cu, it is at 40.1 atm and so far i have not 'seen' it disco anything. Shouldnt I 'see' red notes over mobs to know that they are discorded?

I like the idea of disco and AI on my cu but don't want to ruin my 'real' dog if it doesnt actually work or won't disco higher level mobs or bosses such as mel etc

Anyone got that far yet?

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So ok, on TC i have put disco on a cu, it is at 40.1 atm and so far i have not 'seen' it disco anything. Shouldnt I 'see' red notes over mobs to know that they are discorded?

I like the idea of disco and AI on my cu but don't want to ruin my 'real' dog if it doesnt actually work or won't disco higher level mobs or bosses such as mel etc

Anyone got that far yet?
My CU is at 103.8 right now and he's able to discord Rotting Corpses with a Barding rating of around 120-130. It's mana dependent so if he's low on mana from doing to many Armor Ignores it may take a while before he gets around to trying. ;) I'll have to see how he does when I get him to 120.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just to be sure, since you have tested this far already. It does keep his/her healing ability right?
Yes, indeed. It's up to 107.6 now and I've watched it occasionally discord one of the lower rated balrons that spawn in Blackthorns. It still heals itself and armor ignores and bleeds. He definitely cures poison. If you want to come to Napa I can show you if you'd like.

I'm liking him so far, even if I could only afford a 110 wrestling for him to go with the 120 discord. :)

kazeandi

Adventurer
With 120 disco, not many mobs stay at over your 110 wrestling anyway, so no big deal :)

What did you train it on? My disco pet gained at the Crazed, but not consistently.

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have made about every mistake possible in training pets up under the new system and I have also mad some really great pets. The last thing I would do is mess with my best pets until I knew the system inside and out. I just bought a new tractor and I swear it has more warning labels on it than iron in it........ Despite all of the warning labels some dumb ass will get twisted around the PTO shaft of their brand new tractor or get crushed standing under the bucket. It is not possible to idiot proof anything because the idiots will always find a way. And at one point or another we have been and will be again the idiot :)

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With 120 disco, not many mobs stay at over your 110 wrestling anyway, so no big deal :)

What did you train it on? My disco pet gained at the Crazed, but not consistently.
That's what I was hoping for. :) My tamer is a peace tamer so between my peace and the pup's disco it should be a good combo. I trained him to 5 slots on Navrey. Now I'm raising disco on the stuff in Blackthorns (hey, I might as well collect some drops while I'm at it) alternating between the balrons and the RC rooms. Ballys and RC's spawn with barding difficulties between 110 and 160 so it's right in my CU's sweet spot (he's at 110.8 at the moment).

One thing I have to do is watch his mana, as if I keep him continuously fighting he'll keep using AI instead of trying to discord. I'll let it sit there getting beat on sometimes until he gets some mana back and then he'll disco more often.

One thing I have noticed is quite often he'll stop attacking and those little blue "Z Z Z Z"'s will appear over him for about 1-3 seconds. It looks like for some reason he's casting discord masteries on HIMSELF.

kazeandi

Adventurer
Problem is getting there. One of my pets stopped gaining in it's 40s, another in it's 20s. Something about Disco gain mechanics is strange.

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Problem is getting there. One of my pets stopped gaining in it's 40s, another in it's 20s. Something about Disco gain mechanics is strange.
When I started training mine I got mine to go up by fighting the lower level spawn in Blackthorns (skeletons, wolves, brigands, etc.) then up to the liches and red mages, then drakes and dragons then the RC's and Balrons. It wasn't really a power training path, but I'm up to 30 blackthorn drops while he's training so there's that! ;)

It has been on tc for about a month now. There has been more than enough time to read up on it and even test for yourself how it works before doing it on your rare pet. You cant blame the game.
A lot of us put quite a nit of money in the game, so I'd disagree with that. Since taming can now be an expensive dump with scrolls, there needs to be a way to undo a bad decision, or as what happened in my case, if a pet goes wild for no reason at all, you need to be able to recover it. I would agree with you maybe if the stakes weren't so high, but a lot of us don't come play a game to be frustrated and have our time wasted. There's so few of us left playing this game, it's something for the devs to seriously consider.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@MissEcho yes, you see notes floating around on success. You also hear music gone bad on fail.
Well so far I hear lots and lots of music gone bad on fail. I just wish there was a way to bypass having to actually train the pet on tc just to 'see' if it works. I would rather be playing the game but so far my cu is at 78, I have spent HOURS on tc to get it there, and think it is gonna take a lot longer to get it to 120. Means I am not actually playing, and then will have to do it all over again for real if I decide to use it on siege, and if not then I have wasted hour up on hour just testing one skill on TC only to not use it. There are a whole host of things and combo's I want to test but at this rate it is becomeing really aggravating. Test centre for me is like playing in Molasses, as I am logging in from Oz, there needs to be a way to test that super advances skill gains on there or just a gate to go through.

@Bleak please put a pet skill advance on the TC so we don't have to spend hours on there to 'test' a particular skill at max.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I know what you mean. I'm living in Japan and TC and Atlantic feel like that for me. Lots of terrible lags, unnecessary deaths and rubberbanding.
As for if pet disco works, that's hard to tell for me, because I'm not further than you and what I train on is dead in one hit anyway, discod or not.

Fwoosh

Visitor
From all that I've seen a 120 disco pet will disco a boss the same way a bard would with 120 music and 120 disco. If i recall correctly I think it should be about a 12% drop in stats and resists.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you get multiple disco gains against single creatures? Like if ur pet fights a shadow ele or a boss with a bunch of hp, will it work disco or is it like 1 shot?

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Pet gains once, unless you disengage and invis it or leave the screen for 15 sec.
As long as notes float above the mob's head, there are no further gains possible.

What worked for me so far was:
Brigand camp till 50ish
Shame 1 entrance area till (don't know yet, I'm 70ish now).

A friend got his Reptalon to 75 at the Moonglow Cemetery.