• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Dire Plans: Fouled and Formed

McIan

Journeyman
“Explain what happened…with details, Bogryn. How did it get loose?” the slim, dandy-dressed, man, inquired, loosing the tie of his cape, draping it over the chair. It had to come off. The searing heat of the jungle sun sent rivulets of sweat streaming down him all over – he was not used to this and he hated the Lost Lands. He sat down in the chair at the table and placed his hands on it as he stared into the twitching face of his henchman.

“Well, sir, I was…”

“You were drunk again. Don’t deny it. Hobkin told me and I do not doubt it. Do you have any idea what you’ve done?” Malikai took out a warning poster from Delucia indicating a recent murder by a huge wolf and pointed it in his chubby, dirty, face.

Bogryn lowered his head. “You knows I can’t read sir,” he whined. He lifted his head suddenly, “But, but I did get him back!” he added with a small measure of hopeful jubilance.

Malikai threw the poster down. “Murder! I did not wish it to go that far. My orders were to implicate the Elder’s son as the culprit, hopefully making him doubt himself as well. Nothing more! You have made a mess of this and NOW I have to fix it.”

The henchman said nothing, merely rotating his weathered, tattered, straw hat with his big fingers. “What do you want me to do now?”

“For now, just keep the pack well fed and keep giving them the liquid… in the amount indicated! No more! Can you do that?! Can you just do one simple thing from now on – WHAT I TELL YOU TO DO?!!” his eyes flashed anger even though the henchman dwarfed him in size.

“Yes boss. I can do that,” came the sheepish reply.

“When you have two or three of them the proper size and well trained, kill the rest. And kill the one that escaped you, just for good measure.”

Bogryn’s eyes widened. “You mean Big Growler? But he’s my…”

“PUT… IT… DOWN!!”

The henchman sighed. “Yes boss, I will. I will,” he muttered.

“You may go now. Oh, send Hobkin to me. We have another purchase or two to make in Delucia. The price of the byproduct beef and mutton is going up and we need to decide what to do. Feeding these beasts is like feeding an army,” he complained. “Glad when I am done with this whole mess,” he muttered, remorsefully.

Bogryn left and went straight to the dire wolf pens, a circular wooden palisade bolstered on the outer side by tall mounds of earth and stone designed to prevent anything from jumping over or digging under. Inside he located one of the six grated and locked pens. The dire wolf inside had been sleeping but jumped up at his approach, snarling. Then, seeing his master, it whined and trotted toward the gate where he stood. Bogryn knelt down, reached in and rubbed the beast’s grizzled muzzle slowly. “Boss says you gotta go, Growler. I am sorry…” he began, and then tears fell down his face. “No way! No way boy. I’m gonna get you outta this! Tonight, when they’re all asleep! I come back and we both go, together!”

The enormous dire wolf, overfed with food and enhanced magically, licked his master’s hand, confirming the bond they shared.

Deminatza

Visitor
REMEDIATED

The shade stood silent observing the exchange between Malikai and his lackey. Once Malikai gave his orders, the henchman made their way to the wolf pens, which the shade followed at a safe distance. Once inside, they caught a glimpse of him turning a corner, and continued their pursuit until they arrived at one of the locked pens. The wolf appeared to be asleep, but as the silent shade stepped closer, the wolf snarled, causing them to freeze. Malikai’s hireling stepped closer to the wolf and it seemed to have forgotten the shadow that loomed nearby.

The wolf’s master knelt, reached in and rubbed the beast’s grizzled muzzle slowly. “Boss says you gotta go, Growler. I am sorry…” he began, and then tears fell down his face. “No way! No way boy. I’m gonna get you outta this! Tonight, when they’re all asleep! I come back and we both go, together!”

Decisively, the shadow closed the gap, raising their sickle, and in one fluid motion, the sickle flew downward, liberating the lackey’s head from its body, then upward, maintaining the momentum, did the same to his wolf.

Calmly retrieving the heads, they made their way back to Malikai’s office, tossing each head in his direction. Watching them unceremoniously fall to the floor with a loud thud, the shadow slipped their hands into their sleeves and watched Malikai stoically as both heads rolled to a stop at his feet.

McIan

Journeyman
"Well, that takes care of that," Malikai quipped. "A twofer," he joked. "Never liked that imbecile anyway." Then turning to the shade standing before him, "So, what orders from the Master?"

Deminatza

Visitor
"Master wants his plan to continue, that hasn't changed," the shade spoke impassively and motioned to the heads. "Only eliminated those who didn't follow your orders, which is the Master's orders."

As the shade melded into the shadows, they met Malikai's gaze and said, "Proceed."