• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Treasure Hunting] Die often with 100 Remove Trap

T_Jones

Journeyman
Anything changed since last time I left UO? With 100 Remove Trap and I have to die on like every 3 chests, and have to pay for the insurance items?

What happened?

dvv

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Do you heal when you set off a trap? How many hit points do you have? Are you wearing armor?

You can definitely not die from traps if you mind each of these things.

T_Jones

Journeyman
Do you heal when you set off a trap? How many hit points do you have? Are you wearing armor?

You can definitely not die from traps if you mind each of these things.
I have 109 hits, with an armor set around all 50. I opened the miasma chests just as I did before, with full health and 100 remove trap. It exploded like every 3 chests with around 120 damage, then oOo...

mihali

Sage
^^^^^--THIS--^^^^^
Always move away 4-5 squares and use telekinesis magery spell, blow up the trap remotely, do not need any remove trap skill, just lock pick only that you need to use first.

mihali

Sage
But most of use remove trap for out treasure hunting.
But you are correct RT is likely broken for untrapping regular boxes, so we use tele. One more neglected unfixed item in UO.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
For paragon or miasma chests use telekinesis as was mentioned several times here . Or use non - medable armor with armor refinements (fire and poison will get you to 75 resists ) + ride an armored swamp dragon (damage reducing) or just get more hit points. And surely get some armor for all 70 resists ( any junk legendary will work just switch it before removing trap). Do you know how to use Vendor search to find gear ?

For treasure chests with 100 RT you have a timer. Make a rune near chest , dig it up (RT timer starts) , kill the spawn and go to next map . Do same at next one , go to third. After you finished third map first chest will have trap expired so you just open it. I do 3 hoard maps at a time.
After I dug all 3 I go home to switch cartography with lockpicking skill and go to open my marked chests .

Last edited:

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
For treasure chests with 100 RT you have a timer. Make a rune near chest , dig it up (RT timer starts) , kill the spawn and go to next map . Do same at next one , go to third. After you finished third map first chest will have trap expired so you just open it. I do 3 hoard maps at a time.
After I dug all 3 I go home to switch cartography with lockpicking skill and go to open my marked chests .
This is actually a pretty good idea if you don't mind taking the time to switch out skills. I'm wondering if you could could push it a bit further? Could you do like 6-10 hoard maps while carto is on and then swap out skills? If you are going to swap out Carto; you could also use another skill in place of RT so that you had another 100 skill points freed up to kill the spawn (perhaps SW or eval int?); once spawn is dead and you are switching out Carto for LP you would also remove whatever X skill was for RT too.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
This is actually a pretty good idea if you don't mind taking the time to switch out skills. I'm wondering if you could could push it a bit further? Could you do like 6-10 hoard maps while carto is on and then swap out skills? If you are going to swap out Carto; you could also use another skill in place of RT so that you had another 100 skill points freed up to kill the spawn (perhaps SW or eval int?); once spawn is dead and you are switching out Carto for LP you would also remove whatever X skill was for RT too.
Nope. To have timer working you need 90+ RT at the time of digging out chest . And you need carto for better chest and more loot / scrolls.
6-10 maps may be possible but chest have 1 hour or so decay timer ( never checked , purely my beleif).
So if you can do 6 -10 per hour then return for carto - LP switch - go on. For me Treasure is more relaxing thing , I don't want to be pushed by some limit.
You also can have LP on other toon you will gate to your map if you don't mind to have 2 windows open. Just add him to party. Or have LP + Carto + RT on separate toon . Put all your luck gear on him and fight guardians with another (sampire??)

Keven2002

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nope. To have timer working you need 90+ RT at the time of digging out chest . And you need carto for better chest and more loot / scrolls.
6-10 maps may be possible but chest have 1 hour or so decay timer ( never checked , purely my beleif).
So if you can do 6 -10 per hour then return for carto - LP switch - go on. For me Treasure is more relaxing thing , I don't want to be pushed by some limit.
You also can have LP on other toon you will gate to your map if you don't mind to have 2 windows open. Just add him to party. Or have LP + Carto + RT on separate toon . Put all your luck gear on him and fight guardians with another (sampire??)
I have the latter setup myself; I use my treasure hunter (also has mystic) with a luck suit just to dig and use a second toon to kill everything which is usually my sampire but I have a tamer I can use too. Anything under a hoard map can easily be solo'ed by my THunter using a RC and honestly if I'm not trying to crank out maximum chests per hour I can solo a hoard map with just my THunter too using RC (it just takes a couple more of them).

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My T-Hunter has taming and all the required skills and I usually do them in 5 map routes.

Start the digging with a luck suit and once it’s coming up I swap to a combat suit and precast invisibility.

I usually bring a bard for the peace buffs and discord/provoke on the initial spawn while the pet deals out the damage.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
For the Paragon chests, I've noticed a pattern going back to their creation.

It's far, FAR, easier to die from opening a level 2 chest (I.E. one off a creature that would have a level 1/stash map) than it is off of a level 3-6 (old scale)/3-4 (new scale) map, even with 70-75 resists across the board (such as stone form, reinforcements, etc.).

It got to the point to where I'd open Miasma chests in my pack without much worry, but I set down Earth ele, ettin and gargoyle chests and TK them open from a distance.