• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Devs when you start charging for stable slots in the UO STORE

Let my other characters on the SAME account use the increased stable slots I purchase

• Total voters

Siabra

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Question .... please make it so that it covers my other chars in the same account. Since I am paying it my other characters should have the same options to use the extra stable slots from that purchase..
.. it should not matter if its a tamer or not if I pay for extra stable spots it should be good for my entire ACCOUNT.. not just my tamer ..

.......rl $$ is still rl $$

.....it's already been stated that it will be "per character"

Please vote so this can be CHANGED before it begins

Please place your votes .. not to mention they have not said how much buying an extra stable lot would be

Last edited:

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Am I the only one that assumed that this would be account bound ?
No, because I totally thought it would be too.

Not that I have more than one tamer on any of my accounts, but if I ever wanted to make another I'd be pretty against having to buy the stable slots again. I'd think buying them two, maybe three times (one for each account) would be enough.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I spend 99.95 % of my time on Siege, but if I buy a Stable Slots increase for cash, and it doesn't apply to my entire account, since it's not a physical in game item I can hold in my hand like a Pen of Wisdom (i would never buy that btw), then something's wrong.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Hopefully it works like increased house storage, all characters on any shard from that account get the extra stable slots. If not, it likely won't sell well.
No it's already been stated that it will be "per character"... so if you like me have 20+ tamers... it'll be per tamer...

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
doesn't matter what they charge, only a select few people can buy from the store as 90% of browsers the site doesn't work.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
doesn't matter what they charge, only a select few people can buy from the store as 90% of browsers the site doesn't work.
I use Google Chrome... and I'll say when I purchased Sovereigns yesterday... as noted in another thread... it worked just fine. As did the Account Management page.

Though I did have to agree to yet another ToS... on the Account MisManagement page...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If that's true that's garbage and everything in the news letter that got me somewhat excited and improved my opinion of this dev team, was just stomped all over...
And people wonder why my opinion is so bleak...

Tanivar

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No it's already been stated that it will be "per character"... so if you like me have 20+ tamers... it'll be per tamer...
Hopefully it'll at least add to the basic six slots when Tan's not running Taming skills so he can have seven pets and still restable his fire beetle when he's done Mining without having to soulstone to Tamer to do it.

Modoc

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Question .... please make it so that it covers my other chars in the same account. Since I am paying it my other characters should have the same options to use the extra stable slots from that purchase..
.. it should not matter if its a tamer or not if I pay for extra stable spots it should be good for my entire ACCOUNT.. not just my tamer ..

.......rl $$ is still rl $$

.....it's already been stated that it will be "per character"

Please vote so this can be CHANGED before it begins

Please place your votes .. not to mention they have not said how much buying an extra stable lot would be
I can see how this could get very annoying indeed :gee:

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
The start of the P2W scheme..... instead of account bound they will be character bound..... Easy for someone with 1 acc, what happens if you have multiple accounts and want more stable slots for them all..... big bucks as investment!

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It would be nice to have this as an "account bound" upgrade, but personally I only have 1 tamer on my account... as i'm sure most accounts only have 1 as well. I voted "Yes" but honestly if it's still "No" it wouldn't make a difference for most accounts... at least that's the way I see it

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I spend 99.95 % of my time on Siege, but if I buy a Stable Slots increase for cash, and it doesn't apply to my entire account, since it's not a physical in game item I can hold in my hand like a Pen of Wisdom (i would never buy that btw), then something's wrong.
The fact that we have to pay for them at all is already a sign of something wrong, IMO.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It would be nice to have this as an "account bound" upgrade, but personally I only have 1 tamer on my account... as i'm sure most accounts only have 1 as well. I voted "Yes" but honestly if it's still "No" it wouldn't make a difference for most accounts... at least that's the way I see it
Point is they made it so limited to get more potential money. They could have made it per account, or they could (and should) have just given them to us as part of the publish that makes them so much more desireable.

I gotta be honest this really put a damper on my excitement for the taming upgrade. It's just such a lame move to nickle and dime paying subscribers like that. Makes me not even want to play. :(

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The start of the P2W scheme..... instead of account bound they will be character bound..... Easy for someone with 1 acc, what happens if you have multiple accounts and want more stable slots for them all..... big bucks as investment!
I have no problem with P2W. As long as they remove the antiquated subscription model. I have 4 accounts, all Siege toons. I still paid more last month for fluff stuff in free-to-play games than I will on my UO subscriptions for a year. They're really missing out on a huge revenue opportunity by relying on draining $15/month/account from a couple hundred people.

Alex"Drake Iron Heart"CS

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
I have no problem with P2W. As long as they remove the antiquated subscription model. I have 4 accounts, all Siege toons. I still paid more last month for fluff stuff in free-to-play games than I will on my UO subscriptions for a year. They're really missing out on a huge revenue opportunity by relying on draining $15/month/account from a couple hundred people.
Only downside to a P2W model, would be that people who already have all the expansions and extras and all the high-end stuff, would stop making revenue for UO, or at least they wouldn't be making the same amount or maybe they could be making more, we wont know till it happens. But I can see that there would be a loss in revenue from the veteran players cause they are already at the top of the food chain, the only money they would make is for anyone expanding an account, or new players, which if they dont get hooked, they have lost that money from that customer. Its a very tricky argument cause it can go both ways, it could be a massive money maker but it could also finish killing UO, as if no new interest in made, no revenue they will receive as they would of lost the cash from the subs.... Hope you get what I mean. Maybe even drop the sub to 7.50./half price or something like that, and also have some of the P2W model, so they can be secure with the cash of the subs, and the extras we pay for to win, are more extra revenue.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a strange poll. Of course the vast majority of players will want it account bound rather than per character. But as there is a $ charge involved BS will want to maximise revenue for the game. Why wouldnt they?

So whats the point of the poll? So we can go back to BS and say "please make this account wide, even though you will make less revenue?"

To be honest though its shocking that they are charging at all for this in a subscription game. They are milking a captive audience shamelessly.

This whole discussion is asinine. BS will go for the option that nets the most money. And thats the per character option.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This!!

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
F2P would only work with UO if you still had to subscribe to own a house, this way they keep the sub from most players they already have, as most own houses I imagine.

If they didnt do that all shards would quickly fill with houses, many owned by just a few people on multiple accounts.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Two people voted "no" because they couldn't care less and find it funny to troll tamers.
One word: REVENUE.

The poll was written in a biased fashion to begin with. I voted No because I want UO to be around long-term and the way for that to happen is to generate more revenue for Broadsword. Simply because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they are trying to troll you or a certain class of players, or that they care less. I'm looking beyond my own pocket book.

If you want the upgrade? Pony up the cash. I intend to make the purchase for both of my tamers on two different accounts and I don't intend to complain when I do it.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One word: REVENUE.

The poll was written in a biased fashion to begin with. I voted No because I want UO to be around long-term and the way for that to happen is to generate more revenue for Broadsword. Simply because someone disagrees with you, doesn't mean they are trying to troll you or a certain class of players, or that they care less. I'm looking beyond my own pocket book.

If you want the upgrade? Pony up the cash. I intend to make the purchase for both of my tamers on two different accounts and I don't intend to complain when I do it.
When the players themselves are saying to the Devs "please charge us more for stuff!", its a sure sign that the game itself is in deep deep ****

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
When the players themselves are saying to the Devs "please charge us more for stuff!", its a sure sign that the game itself is in deep deep ****
When the players themselves love the game so much they want to contribute more money to make sure it stays running, in my book thats a good thing.

Id personally be absolutely gutted if they announced they were going to close UO, Ive played many other games but this was the first MMO I played and it still feels like home, even when Im off in other games Im still paying for 2 accounts here for my houses because I know Ill want to come home again.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When the players themselves love the game so much they want to contribute more money to make sure it stays running, in my book thats a good thing.
Its a good thing in that the players love the game, but not a good thing that the game is in such a terrible state that they may NEED to voluntarily pay more in order to keep it afloat.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its a good thing in that the players love the game, but not a good thing that the game is in such a terrible state that they may NEED to voluntarily pay more in order to keep it afloat.
Voluntarily isn't the correct word here, because a F2P-"customer" also voluntarily pays for those microtransactions.

And I really hate that expression: F2P...
Someone has to pay for it. And usually it is a small minority, which keeps the game running. Which I'm perfectly fine with, because I never paid and will never pay for a F2P game.

F2P-like microtransactions in a subscription based game is somewhat off.
And people asking for even more microtransactions, well... that's just... sad.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Voluntarily isn't the correct word here, because a F2P-"customer" also voluntarily pays for those microtransactions.

And I really hate that expression: F2P...
Someone has to pay for it. And usually it is a small minority, which keeps the game running. Which I'm perfectly fine with, because I never paid and will never pay for a F2P game.

F2P-like microtransactions in a subscription based game is somewhat off.
And people asking for even more microtransactions, well... that's just... sad.
Point taken and well made. Voluntary wasnt the correct term.

However we arent talking about F2P customers here, we are talking about a subscription based system which it would seem is pushing more and more nickle and dime transactions on top of said subscription. This sets alarm bells ringing. Is UO becoming ever more reliant on those transactions to keep UO above the red line as subscriptions fall?

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Its fortunate you have these other people supporting those games for you to be able to play then really isnt it, Im sure they are grateful you are fine with them doing this.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
However we arent talking about F2P customers here, we are talking about a subscription based system which it would seem is pushing more and more nickle and dime transactions on top of said subscription. This sets alarm bells ringing. Is UO becoming ever more reliant on those transactions to keep UO above the red line as subscriptions fall?
We really don't know, what keeps this boat afloat. Maybe it somehow works, without having to worry too much about the red line. But one thing is for sure, they definitely don't make the big bucks with UO. And after all they're just a company, which tries to increase their revenue, regardless of actual reason.
But I agree, whatever the reason might be, it's not a good thing in a subscription based game.
One can only hope, that Endless Journey will be a thing one day. At least it would shed a new light on those microtransactions.

Thrakkar

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Its fortunate you have these other people supporting those games for you to be able to play then really isnt it, Im sure they are grateful you are fine with them doing this.
Sure, I'm all in for them feeling good about it. After all they're spending their hard earned money...
TBH, I have yet to find a F2P game, which kept me hooked for more than 1-2 weeks. I'm not even interested in MMOs anymore. There are just two MMOs I play every now and then: UO & WoW. Both only for nostalgic reasons, plus it's fun to check back after a year on hiatus to a game which kept me entertained for several years.
Nowadays I'm more the Singleplayer-type. Spending 40-60€ on a game, which keeps me entertained for 2-3 months isn't a bad thing or grabbing a cheap one from a Steam- or GOG-sale is even better ;) Although I have to admit, I really enjoyed Dark Souls (1-3) PvP nowadays again. But it is far from being massively plus it doesn't cost anything extra, you just have to own the game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So what happens if you delete a character and recreate a new one? Do you lose the stable slots?
Most likely and chances are pretty high that if you transfer said character they will be lost as well... since transferring basically is a reboot of your character... and you didn't pay for those slots on the other shard...

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Most likely and chances are pretty high that if you transfer said character they will be lost as well... since transferring basically is a reboot of your character... and you didn't pay for those slots on the other shard...
I wonder if they thought about this. I cant think of anything that is comparable tho. My chicken lizards had to be put back onto my character by a GM when I did a shard transfer and returned. I would guess this code goes deeper.

Turbo

Adventurer
Per char isnt necessarily going to make them more money. I can make do with the amount of stable slots i have and wont be buying any per char. If it was reasonably priced and account wide i would consider buying it for both accounts, but thats just me.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I wonder if they thought about this. I cant think of anything that is comparable tho. My chicken lizards had to be put back onto my character by a GM when I did a shard transfer and returned. I would guess this code goes deeper.
You would think it would have been obvious to test the Runic Atlas in both the CC and EC... but it was more than obvious that they did not... so don't go giving them too much credit.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Of course nickle and diming the player base may have an adverse effect. Not everyone is happy with a sub AND an item store. Especially when it starts selling non vanity stuff.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Of course nickle and diming the player base may have an adverse effect. Not everyone is happy with a sub AND an item store. Especially when it starts selling non vanity stuff.
I think with all these sorts of games losing players the developers have looked for ways to make up for that loss, WoW now does sub and item store, others like Rift are in effect free to play but have a very extensive real money item store, a lot of the "free" games also have an optional subscription plan which gives lots of free girfts and extra resources from gathering,reward charges etc, and often a discount from the games real money item store.

I agree that the main problem with this is when they start selling things that the game should have anyway, or advantages and gear that make it so people feel without paying out at these shops they are at a real disadvantage in the game, or "pay to win" as its known, I actually quit WoW a year ago partly because of paid level boosts surrounding me in PvP battlegrounds with newly minted top level team mates who had no idea how to play their class.

Currently the only things the UO store sells that annoy me personally are:
Mythic character tokens.
This is just a personal dislike of mine for paid shortcuts to end-game, I think its detrimental to keeping players as the process of making a new char and the "adventure" of working your way up helps to make a bond with the game, I once used a free boost in a new game I tried, I missed almost all the content and got bored very quick, I regretted being lazy and wanting instant gratification.

Improved rock hammer.
When they introduced the ability to mine just stone I thought I would finally be able to make gargoyle equipment as easy as I make human/elf, I was annoyed to see the setting was basically like having the axe set to "ore and stone" as you get the stones about as frequently as that setting, but dont get the (still useful) ore, then to see them selling the thing I expected "stone only" to be for real money, that was annoying.

We dont really know what the bottom line is do we, whether its cashing in or becoming necessary in order to keep the game viable, EA arent that sentimental when it comes to dropping stuff that doesnt pull a profit, and if this is the price for keeping UO alive, I would personally pay it gladly.

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
With a handful of players bankrolling your beloved game, what happens when they get bored and quit?
That's why it's not a good thing to depend on micro transactions and I hope Broadsword takes it more as a kind of pocket money and it's not vital.
Unless, of course, it goes F2P with a "premium subscription", like for example Wildstar, among others. Then it doesn't matter and the subs are the pocket money.

Amber Witch

Babbling Loonie
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With all the discussion regarding stable size needing to be increased with all the new tamables, how about a stable that's about the size of the garden shed and can store 125 item(pets) that can be used by all that have access to the stable(container) or at least account bound? I know it's difficult with bonding issues but thought I'd throw it out into the ether.
I posted this on a couple other threads but it's topical here too.

Don't pick on my delicate touch with photoshop. I stole it from a kids coloring book.:p

Stable to work like garden shed.jpg

SpyderBite

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sure. Cause we'd all like to see the game just die. This isn't a free-shard where donations dip. They're relying on subscriptions which I'm sure are dwarfed by the soulstones and insta-bonds being sold on the ingame store. /sarcasm

Edit: btw... can only speak for myself.. But I have bought over 16 soulstones with cash as well as a ton of deco and a few mythic tokens and today, 8 insta-bonds.

So, you're welcome. I just paid for game upkeep for you to play for $15 for the next six months.