• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS Developer Meet And Greet Sonoma ~ May 29th 2017

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
She said it herself over a year ago on LS after some player complaints of EM favoritism. Though that was also the same meeting where she didn't know what UO***** was, sooooo (she confused it with the gaming service.) Regardless, it's not unheard of for the higher-ups of a game/gaming website to have that power, and in fact, it's quite common. I know Blizzard does it a lot for D3 - there was an (easily-performed) exploit with a gem they introduced for the 20th Anniversary, and they banned anyone that abused it. Same with people who run bots to play the game.

Legal repercussions? Every TOS ever (which nobody admittedly reads) says they can terminate your account for any reason they want. They don't though, because THAT could result in legal action, especially in cases of unfair termination. If you page the GM's for ANYTHING (that isn't afk macroing/farming, because they tend to take care of that pretty quickly), they do NOTHING except give you the canned answer of "We're looking into it, and you won't be informed of what we find out."
Corruption is everywhere. Also you can't compare Broadsword and Blizzard. The budgets alone are exponentially different. Not to mention the differences in programming language used to create the games... if I remember correctly the script programming was completely home grown and bass ackwards. It was named after some rodent. I'm not sure if they're still using this but I imagine they are since the diehard CC players need their CC. lol I think even the way the game used packets was homegrown, and possibly why its so easily exploitable. I remember reading a couple articles about it over the years.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you mean the KR or the EC clients, they got **** on because they were released half finished and for the most part nonfunctional without downloading and using player modded programs, which seems to be to be stupid IF you are going for the no 3rd party aspect.

If they worked up a nice fully functional FINISHED and operational clent that didnt lag, didnt give motion sickness, didnt take forever to tell you you were dead...well, you get the idea. But it seems beyond the reach of BS.
Yeah I mean I think we can all agree KR was a failure, I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just saying they did it once, it tanked hard (for various reasons) and that was when the game was more popular and they were devoting more funds to the game. Right now I think we can just be thankful we have a dev team at all, like them or hate them, and the idea of a big project like a new client is just simply out of the question.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yeah I mean I think we can all agree KR was a failure, I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. Just saying they did it once, it tanked hard (for various reasons) and that was when the game was more popular and they were devoting more funds to the game. Right now I think we can just be thankful we have a dev team at all, like them or hate them, and the idea of a big project like a new client is just simply out of the question.
I'll feel a LOT more "fortunate" when I stop feeling scammed by the DEVs, lied to, strung along, and treated like a 3rd class citizen. I'm sorry but I feel that we were given the "shaft" as tamers when given a promise of wonderful changes only to be charged up the *** for stable slots... not to mention being ripped off by having them stealth nerf things, not really finish testing stuff... not fix things that were reported while on TC.... such as pets jumping slots, etc... this comes on top of waiting for quite awhile to get the ingame store hearing how it was going to somehow improve things only to find that many things cost just the same stupid overly ridiculous amount as before ..... and to find that getting codes for things is still borked... hasn't solved anything nor has it saved... I'm tired of hearing how "awesome" things are going to be and to find that they have added yet another grind into the game where the only "payout" is for those that have more time than sense and where it totally benefits cheaters, multiboxers and bots.

I'll also start feeling more "fortunate" when I see more enforcement of the ToS and quit feeling like I'm forced to play in a world where I have no way to compete or get ahead unless I finally give up all morals and cheat as well. Which I personally would rather quit UO and see it closed than to stoop to that level.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll feel a LOT more "fortunate" when I stop feeling scammed by the DEVs, lied to, strung along, and treated like a 3rd class citizen. I'm sorry but I feel that we were given the "shaft" as tamers when given a promise of wonderful changes only to be charged up the *** for stable slots... not to mention being ripped off by having them stealth nerf things, not really finish testing stuff... not fix things that were reported while on TC.... such as pets jumping slots, etc... this comes on top of waiting for quite awhile to get the ingame store hearing how it was going to somehow improve things only to find that many things cost just the same stupid overly ridiculous amount as before ..... and to find that getting codes for things is still borked... hasn't solved anything nor has it saved... I'm tired of hearing how "awesome" things are going to be and to find that they have added yet another grind into the game where the only "payout" is for those that have more time than sense and where it totally benefits cheaters, multiboxers and bots.

I'll also start feeling more "fortunate" when I see more enforcement of the ToS and quit feeling like I'm forced to play in a world where I have no way to compete or get ahead unless I finally give up all morals and cheat as well. Which I personally would rather quit UO and see it closed than to stoop to that level.
I don't like many of their choices, but what can you do other than quit? I guess would you rather see development you don't like, or none, and know the game is essentially over?

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

The phoenix already slows down when damaged, but it takes a LOT of damage to get it down, because they run around with 70-80 resists. I'm not sure just leaving their speed and having it effected by stamina will help much. A dexer already has a counter to them. I still wish they'd consider allowing pets to take 30% More damage from players, just as the pets deal 30% less damage to players.

I hope you address their dismount ability leaving the player mounted within the bug fixes as well, as between the speed and the dismount not forcing the controller to be on foot, they account for the majority of the problem.

I hate how powerful other pets are as well, but at least they have the trade off of going on foot to use or the like.

Last edited:

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Bleak

The phoenix already slows down when damaged, but it takes a LOT of damage to get it down, because they run around with 70-80 resists. I'm not sure just leaving their speed and having it effected by stamina will help much. A dexer already has a counter to them.

I hope you address their dismount ability leaving the player mounted within the bug fixes as well, as between the speed and the dismount not forcing the controller to be on foot, they account for the majority of the problem.

I hate how powerful other pets are as well, but at least they have the trade off of going on foot to use or the like.
Personally the removal of dismount from the pet seems reasonable to me as far as pvm goes.

Cetric

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Personally the removal of dismount from the pet seems reasonable to me as far as pvm goes.
Dismount can exist, still gimp as hell but can exist, just give the trade off that forces the mounted player pet controller on foot.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I don't like many of their choices, but what can you do other than quit? I guess would you rather see development you don't like, or none, and know the game is essentially over?
Speak out. That's what I do. Speak out. It's all I have left to me.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
So after reading this post and becoming aware of people using KVM's I have begun to start noticing them while playing. I couldn't help but laugh last night on Europa during an EM event. There were like 5 people, with 5 accounts clearly using a KVM to play all 5 at the same time.

You'd have to be blind, dumb and ignorant to not know that when 5 characters are stacked on top of each other, casting the exact same spell and then following/moving in sync with each other they're obviously using a KVM. NO one can multi box legitimately to that level.

The best and most amusing part? They had names like "<Bad Mofo 1>", "<Bad Mofo 2>", "<Bad Mofo 3>" to make it even MORE obvious. Oh god I was dying from laughter. And then... saddness. Why? Because these people and their greed are ruining the game and it was obvious that the EM didn't care. Then linking my thoughts back to this post it made me realize that the devs don't care either. Those 5 players, each with 3-5 accounts casting/moving in perfect sync, despite abusing the game, are giving them $$ - and I came to the conclusion that is what this is about. It's short sighted in my opinion. They're getting the money now, but digging their own grave as they do it.

It would be extremely easy to sneak around EM events that are pre-planned and catch these people. Mind numbing easy.

As someone just returning and only reactivating my accounts for 1 month I had been debating on throwing 6 months onto them. Now I'm leaning toward letting my accounts lapse again. Sad and a little disappointing.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So after reading this post and becoming aware of people using KVM's I have begun to start noticing them while playing. I couldn't help but laugh last night on Europa during an EM event. There were like 5 people, with 5 accounts clearly using a KVM to play all 5 at the same time.

You'd have to be blind, dumb and ignorant to not know that when 5 characters are stacked on top of each other, casting the exact same spell and then following/moving in sync with each other they're obviously using a KVM. NO one can multi box legitimately to that level.

The best and most amusing part? They had names like "<Bad Mofo 1>", "<Bad Mofo 2>", "<Bad Mofo 3>" to make it even MORE obvious. Oh god I was dying from laughter. And then... saddness. Why? Because these people and their greed are ruining the game and it was obvious that the EM didn't care. Then linking my thoughts back to this post it made me realize that the devs don't care either. Those 5 players, each with 3-5 accounts casting/moving in perfect sync, despite abusing the game, are giving them $$ - and I came to the conclusion that is what this is about. It's short sighted in my opinion. They're getting the money now, but digging their own grave as they do it.

It would be extremely easy to sneak around EM events that are pre-planned and catch these people. Mind numbing easy.

As someone just returning and only reactivating my accounts for 1 month I had been debating on throwing 6 months onto them. Now I'm leaning toward letting my accounts lapse again. Sad and a little disappointing.
This is all too true... They could do something.. anyone can see them cheating... doesn't take a brain surgeon or rocket scientist... anyone with a pair of eyes can see it.

And it's so blatantly obvious... but they don't care. Bottom line is bottom dollar. I gave my perspective and the solution.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Corruption is everywhere. Also you can't compare Broadsword and Blizzard. The budgets alone are exponentially different. Not to mention the differences in programming language used to create the games... if I remember correctly the script programming was completely home grown and bass ackwards. It was named after some rodent. I'm not sure if they're still using this but I imagine they are since the diehard CC players need their CC. lol I think even the way the game used packets was homegrown, and possibly why its so easily exploitable. I remember reading a couple articles about it over the years.
True. Blizzard, Sony, Nintendo, etc, all have the financial muscle to go after cheats, bots, using music on Youtube *cough* Nintendo *cough*...and so does EA, come to think of it. If it were happening in The Sims, Madden, or FIFA, they'd put a stop to it QUICK. Admittedly, those games/companies all have a much bigger budget than UO does, so they're going to get policed.

Sadly, that's what the company's brass thinks of UO, and they aren't wrong - unlike in the old days, I would guess a vast majority of people playing UO today KNOW what Stratics is, even if they don't post here. Malag & Freja have been here forever, and there are other UHall regulars who have been around quite a while. I don't know the exact # of subs compared to Stratics posters, but knowing how much the community's shrunk over the years, I'd guess they're fairly close.

If there's 100 people (assuming single account) in UO, there might be 10,000 playing Sims, Madden, etc. Those 10,000 will, and rightfully should, get more attention than the 100. A niche MMO that's been around for nearly 20 years isn't going to be a major blip on the radar for a company that makes a much larger amount of money from more famous games.

UO's current audience is pretty much all older adults, with a few kids here & there. Kids aren't going to be interested in a game with crappy graphics, especially when console/modern PC games look much better, have more dynamic/fun gameplay, etc.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
This is the reason my husband and I stopped attending EM events on Europa, between the multi-boxers and the people spamming spells when the boss appeared it just wasn't fun any more. :(

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
This is the reason my husband and I stopped attending EM events on Europa, between the multi-boxers and the people spamming spells when the boss appeared it just wasn't fun any more. :(
I do wish I could filter out spell spam without turning it off completely. I want to see it over people's heads, but not in my chat box! It is a bit difficult to see the dialogue of the event. Although for a returning player who just moved to Europa (because of connectivity/location issues) I'm a little lost on the events.

The KVM users are both annoying and amusing at the same time. Getting the message spam from someone KVMing 5 necros spamming spells at the same time is admittedly super annoying. I took screenshots but based on others replies, they're not worth it. I did think maybe I should twitch/FRAPS the events and point out the KVMers. At least then there'd be video evidence. Probably not worth my time though with how simple it would be to catch these people and the seemingly lack of effort by devs actually wanting to catch them.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I do wish I could filter out spell spam without turning it off completely. I want to see it over people's heads, but not in my chat box! It is a bit difficult to see the dialogue of the event. Although for a returning player who just moved to Europa (because of connectivity/location issues) I'm a little lost on the events.

The KVM users are both annoying and amusing at the same time. Getting the message spam from someone KVMing 5 necros spamming spells at the same time is admittedly super annoying. I took screenshots but based on others replies, they're not worth it. I did think maybe I should twitch/FRAPS the events and point out the KVMers. At least then there'd be video evidence. Probably not worth my time though with how simple it would be to catch these people and the seemingly lack of effort by devs actually wanting to catch them.
The EC has the ability to turn off hearing other people spell spamming... thankfully. I filter all that out when I'm at an event... No spell words, no "you see" crap...

What would make things easier and I wish @Bleak would fix is:
1. When some necro casts Animate Dead on a corpse you no longer can see the corpses tag when you ctrl+shift... This is a pain in the arse and when it happens on a good mob you don't get your loot. NOT cool. With 45 people and 10 dragons standing on a Crimson/Styngian or any other nice corpse and someone does this that means NO ONE gets to loot it but those who had it open and can use last object to reopen it... Everyone else is SoL. I wouldn't mind if the name changes or whatever but when it totally makes it impossible to get the tag I don't like it.

2. When people cast Animate Corpse that mob ends up with a RED name just like all the other stuff we are looking to fight... This blocks up bars for things you want... makes it hard to target what you need ..... and is extremely annoying. Not to mention listening to annimated liches and such laugh every .4 seconds is maddening... Can they shut the )#*$)*)* up?!?! Please! Can't these get some sort of other colored name??? Pink, Purple? I don't care just not red. If I could I'd kill them just to stop them from being annoying. I can't turn those off when I turn off "Summons". Can they not be given the "summons" tag?

3. For some reason in the EC now you randomly move 1 tile usually forward though you haven't touched any key or anything to move... you do it. Very annoying.

RhelHalcyon

Journeyman
The EC has the ability to turn off hearing other people spell spamming... thankfully. I filter all that out when I'm at an event... No spell words, no "you see" crap...

What would make things easier and I wish @Bleak would fix is:
1. When some necro casts Animate Dead on a corpse you no longer can see the corpses tag when you ctrl+shift... This is a pain in the arse and when it happens on a good mob you don't get your loot. NOT cool. With 45 people and 10 dragons standing on a Crimson/Styngian or any other nice corpse and someone does this that means NO ONE gets to loot it but those who had it open and can use last object to reopen it... Everyone else is SoL. I wouldn't mind if the name changes or whatever but when it totally makes it impossible to get the tag I don't like it.

2. When people cast Animate Corpse that mob ends up with a RED name just like all the other stuff we are looking to fight... This blocks up bars for things you want... makes it hard to target what you need ..... and is extremely annoying. Not to mention listening to annimated liches and such laugh every .4 seconds is maddening... Can they shut the )#*$)*)* up?!?! Please! Can't these get some sort of other colored name??? Pink, Purple? I don't care just not red. If I could I'd kill them just to stop them from being annoying. I can't turn those off when I turn off "Summons". Can they not be given the "summons" tag?

3. For some reason in the EC now you randomly move 1 tile usually forward though you haven't touched any key or anything to move... you do it. Very annoying.
I noticed this too last night. Although I think you can change it so that ctrl+shift always show names, even of corpses you have already checked the loot on. I'd need to poke through the menus though. The issue with this is that you have TONs of names all over and you can't select the one you want anyway.

Looting has always been awkward in UO in my opinion. Its kind of part of its "charm." lol

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They're getting the money now, but digging their own grave as they do it.
No, don't you realize that anything that gives the game more money is a good thing!

$$$REVENUE$$$

They should sell a multi client coordination add on in the item store! Think of the revenue!

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Still no Sea Dragon Stable Master
6-4-17.jpg Image2.jpg sn-Dedication_of_the_Sonoma_MageTowerKM.jpg
I hope Varsuvious is returned someday

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah give them some time...you do realize they have more to work on then just a missing stable master? Or a bird that some don't like? Or pets that jump slots??

These things...people...they are aware of them....but they are also working on 20th anny stuff, event arc, Halloween stuff....etc. etc.

Cut them some slack....go outside and enjoy the weekend....it's like 80 degrees here today....VERY humid though :/

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Rain, thunder, lighting here, going to shut down and watch the weather report

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Was super hot here nearly 90 today and I had to drive 6 hours in a car with no a/c... Miserable...

Drakelord

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Awards
[Dezerai]: Good Evening

[Dezerai]: My questions deal with Mage Tower of Moonglow 73' 3N 133' 15W

[Dezerai]: and the Community Hall of Brit 8' 6N 12' 29E, both in Trammel

[Dezerai]: In 2005 the Sonoma's Shard Tower of Sorcery was build by the Sonoma Community and

[Dezerai]: EM Masara, it had several features within it.

[Dezerai]: One of those special feature is missing today and we like it back please.

[Dezerai]: Varsuvious, the Green Sea Dragon stable master, has been missing since the

[Dezerai]: birth of the animal training quest.

[Mesanna]: there is not a EM Masara

[Mesanna]: whatever they did is before us

[Dezerai]: can we get the sea dragon back?

[Mesanna]: I have some emails and I can replace the stablemaster

[Dezerai]: thank you
@Mesanna : there is not a EM Masara

Of course there is no EM Masara, that was 12 years ago, when the tower was first put up
6-5-17.jpg Image2.jpg sn-Dedication_of_the_Sonoma_MageTowerKM.jpg

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That one Drakelord Mesanna put there when she held that pumpkin event... it wasn't supposed to stay.