• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Developer Challenge

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ancient argument and still as valid as the first time it was presented.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I vaguely remember reading Broadsword notes last year, that the Library Collections were something they were going to look at and improve?

Good if they did.

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why without using gold? The option is there for a reason.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I"ve got enough resources to pick everything on the Trades list, but there's absolutely nothing there worth having.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I did the necromantic glasses quest without turning in gold for that. It took me a month. O what a fun month that was.
@Kyronix please start reagent sellers with more reagents than a single mage would use in a single adventure.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why without using gold? The option is there for a reason.
Because there is an option to turn things in. I get that gold is the easy route - it should not be the only route. Turning in 88,888 shields is just stupid. The idea for the collections was to gather things through gameplay and turn in to get a reward. You know, something worthwhile on your adventure and something to do that you could achieve with work instead of just buying with gold (12m gold). But because the highest point item is 9 points - it is a nearly endless adventure to get one. Crafting 50 shields and then making the trip to donate 1,777 times is NOT fun. Seriously. Give us things to turn in for 100 or 200 points.

The library collections were created by someone who NEVER actually completed one for the top end reward. Seriously flawed system that could have been great - but instead - its not used.

The Dev team could save themselves a crapload of time by fixing old systems to make them fun instead of building new ones from the ground up.

UO is like that parking lot of 50 old cars with none running. Don't buy another junker - just fix one of the 50. System is already there - just fix it. Make it fun.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Because there is an option to turn things in. I get that gold is the easy route - it should not be the only route. Turning in 88,888 shields is just stupid. The idea for the collections was to gather things through gameplay and turn in to get a reward. You know, something worthwhile on your adventure and something to do that you could achieve with work instead of just buying with gold (12m gold). But because the highest point item is 9 points - it is a nearly endless adventure to get one. Crafting 50 shields and then making the trip to donate 1,777 times is NOT fun. Seriously. Give us things to turn in for 100 or 200 points.

The library collections were created by someone who NEVER actually completed one for the top end reward. Seriously flawed system that could have been great - but instead - its not used.

The Dev team could save themselves a crapload of time by fixing old systems to make them fun instead of building new ones from the ground up.

UO is like that parking lot of 50 old cars with none running. Don't buy another junker - just fix one of the 50. System is already there - just fix it. Make it fun.
Try explaining that crap to @Kyronix... because he's a firm believer in all that boring crap... He believes strongly in having you repeat the same tasks over and over and over and over until your fingers bleed but getting NOTHING... Everything of late is a scripters dream and a normal players nightmare. The shear boredom it causes to continue to do the same task over and over and over again seems to be his thing... And I won't even get into the refinement fiasco... No offence @Kyronix but I did warn you that people HATE such things.

I mean why else is it that a 120 fisherman, wearing the spiffy special fishing suit, using the bait (which you have to apply each and every time you cast).... on the Tokuno boat, etc... has a .0000001% bonus to catching a "rare" fish? Because they don't want you to actually get one... they want you to waste months and weeks trying... spend countless hours getting the useless bait.... and then spend countless more time clicking till you end up with carpal tunnel and can't play.... at all.

Grinding... It's his main goal... to drive the players to such endless boredom they quit doing 99% of the content and just log in to do the EM Event and log out. ... This way I suppose they can quit working on all other content... pay someone else to come up with everything to entertain you once a week... the rest of your time is meant to be sitting at the bank in your fancy robe that you can't dye with anything nice... and talk about old days... and what new color you'd like to not dye your stuff.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
There are way too many things in the game where the Devs didn't understand the code they were supposedly "giving bonuses" to

Fishing: The bonuses for bait and the suit are "times percentage" instead of adding the percentage. So a 3% bonus to 1% is 1.03%, not 4%.

Mining: The resource squares are NOT a flat 40% (60% for Elves) for colored ore. Each resource square has its own percentage (which might be as low as single digits, or maybe as high as the 80s or 90s), with the Elf getting 1.2 times the amount. For an 80% site, that might make the elf chance 96% (plus they may get extra digs, compared to the human getting +1 ore 10% of the time), but for a 15% colored ore resource square, that's only an 18% chance for an elf.

Blacksmithing: BODs are supposed to be 50/50 iron/colored, up to 109.9 skill. 30/70 at 110-119.9, 10/90 at 120 skill. Because of the presence of Weapons BODs, the real numbers are 75/25%, 65/35%, and 55%/45%, as 50% of all BODs are always weapons. Also, sometime before AoS, there was supposed to be a change from 50/50 to 40/60 for normal/exceptional BODs, at GM or higher, that if it was ever implemented, was accidentally(?) removed with the BOD changes between 2005-2008.

Tailor: No one ever gave the FINAL data for Tailor BODs after they were introduced. Everyone went by the Tailor design document that said the system was like the Blacksmith system, so everyone assumed that the BODs had the same 50/50 normal/exceptional ratio (if not the 40/60) - except that it was implemented with a 2/1 normal/exceptional ratio, and the user base was not told so until 2009 (and apparently the devs didn't know that they had never told anyone) - resulting it almost of decade of questions to Devs asking why the normal/exceptional ratio was out of whack, then the devs repeatedly saying they tested and it was working properly, not realizing that the players were asking based on numbers that were stated pre-implementation (but not implemented), which was the only number they had ever been given.

Warriors: The math for how DI modifiers (especially ones for Chivalry spells and slayers) affected the total (and how Anatomy and Tactics modified base damage before DI) were a confused mess for the longest time. Did we ever get the definitive answer as to which Lumberjacking applied to?

I'm sure you all can come up with examples for nearly every skill.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
All I can say is that most everything that is supposedly a bonus really isn't... and if it is it's so small it's normally not worth the cost.

Many argue about Luck... and it's factor in things... I have one tamer that is my "luck" tamer... and for everyone ELSE in my party the luck works great... people get more/better loot and this is proven.... however the luck for HER is crap. If she's the only one killing things then her luck isn't any better than any of my other tamers... if she's in a party again other people in the party get better loot but she does not... No matter how much damage she is doing compared to the others and you can tell when she is doing the majority of damage... same outcome. Sometimes she might prock getting more stuff... but more garbage is just more garbage... doesn't make it better.

The fishing crap is what's seriously irritating... I got disgusted with that ages ago with some stinking contest for Zombie fish.... having over 2k in bait charges I figured my chances were pretty decent... so put on the fishing suit grabbed my good pole and off I went... got 1 Zombie fish on like the 2nd or 3rd cast thought to myself SCORE this is going to be great (it was a low 20 stone fish)... over 2k in charges after that never got a single other Zombie fish in countless hours of fishing..... not a one. Was so disgusted after that I decided that it just wasn't worth trying to do. That by the way was over 6k in clicks. Click bait, click pole, click water... rinse and repeat... Fished all around Gravewater Lake... no luck...

So trust me I feel your pain about the clicks, about the pointlessness of it all.... you are better off working on killing something looting all the gold and buying the item you want. Can't do that with fish though.... your just S.O.L.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Named armor suits, e.g. Greymist Armor. For each suit, a couple of pieces are "rare." Almost no one has a complete suit, because no one is killing and looting, say, 90,000 Miasmas. We can't trade for the missing pieces because we are all missing the SAME rare pieces.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Named armor suits, e.g. Greymist Armor. For each suit, a couple of pieces are "rare." Almost no one has a complete suit, because no one is killing and looting, say, 90,000 Miasmas. We can't trade for the missing pieces because we are all missing the SAME rare pieces.
I'm in the same boat. Its like the McDonalds monopoly game. Tons of trash and only one rare one per group but you need the whole group. I've never completed any set and killed tons of Miasma. The suits aren't even that interesting.

Add it to the list of failed systems that need fixed and it is a SUPER simple fix. Just make them all spawn the same. Whats the harm????

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm in the same boat. Its like the McDonalds monopoly game. Tons of trash and only one rare one per group but you need the whole group. I've never completed any set and killed tons of Miasma. The suits aren't even that interesting.

Add it to the list of failed systems that need fixed and it is a SUPER simple fix. Just make them all spawn the same. Whats the harm????
There is no harm.... none of those suits are actually viable for use by todays standards anyway... they never were before... it does go to show though that the DEVs have zero idea on what makes a good suit, good mods or whatever and don't actually play UO.

TB Cookie [W]

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Good post this, this one deserves a thread all on its own.
Last April, when I posted my first post here, I mentioned they'd be better off just reviving all the out of date, obsolete systems UO has.
I even sent a letter to Mesanna stating this.
UO has the content, it has unbelievable content, much of it is ingame and been consigned to history and forgotten about.

These suits are a really good example.
I do kill 90,000+ Miasmas, and I have nothing like a full set - my problem is that I use CC and I don't look at all the loot dropping, you can't physically, so I've probably missed a few.
It's a mix of things, I can't identify them as different from normal armour - and the rest of Miasma drops are rubbish.
I don't think Miasma even drops a full set - I think different pieces drop on different mobs, and I don't actually know which - again stuff like this, it would be nice if the information was out there in a wiki, I don't think any wiki clearly states where all the parts of this armour drop from.

So on both points, Library Collections, Greymist/Assassin/etc armour and to add a few, Armour Refinements, VvV, Hags Quests, Some storage aspects, Doom (not just for Sampires), Pure Mages (PVM capability), Crafting (to match Legendary loot) - yes, it would be good if the developers revisted these and gave them some love, even prioritising these above adding more content, it's an easy win to spice up the game and make it better.

Last edited:

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It's like that in most if not all aspects of the game. High Seas orc ship parts..I've been doing these since it came out, you have a chance at either a ship part, special ammo, or just the gold. Right now I have 47 part7s and 0 part 6s. They said the orc ship would be rare, they didn't say one of the parts would be almost non existent. I also thought Bedlam was a place where suit pieces dropped...nope..never gotten a single one. Maybe it's just a Siege thing, because we constantly get screwed here, unless you need a GM to save a castle..then you're golden.

TheWolf

Adventurer
Returned back to game. Clicked soo much my left mouse button doesn't work reliably. Have to choose between buying a new mouse, or one of the many game expansions. It's not a cheap mouse either, razer naga!

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
when it come to the library turn in, a lot of it seemed to be made for scripting. I remember trying to do the one that u turn in maps, and afews others. omg I gave up lol. if I want something from the library I will buy it. one thing to remember, if they do revamp the library items, they will destroy others areas and people will call for more revamps. I would rather have devs fix bugs and improve game. the new loot and shadow guard really changed things.